Alli Weight Loss Pill

Options
Just wondering if any of you have tried this pill and if it worked for you or what effects it had on your body, good or bad.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee you it will make your wallet thinner. There is no pill in the world that will make you physically thinner without drastic side effects. It doesn't work that way.

If you want a magic pill, you're in the wrong place.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A side effect is anal leakage/seepage.. It inhibits your ability to process fat (which is an essential macronutrient). I am going to say bad.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    alli weight loss pill i believe is a fat blocker, i did try it, or a product almost identical to it. the side effect is pretty nasty you basically pee and leek out brown oil discharge. its from the oil its preventing from being absorbed, it was too gross so i did not stay on it very long to see any results. pills aren't worth it. ive tried dozens the ones that do work make you feel so crapy or high and the others not worth the risk. some people do have success but im not convinced it hasnt done damage. my friend lost lots of weight on hydroxycut now hes missing a kidney or something.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I felt super sick when I tried this (I think about 8 years ago) I made it about 2 weeks and quit because I was starving and a rage monster. The food they have you follow on the diet (from the booklet) is also really really awful. I would not recommend.

Since that time I've done a ton of research into what actually contributes to obesity and "Fat" especially healthy fats from meat, nuts and things like olive oil is most definitely not one of them. I now have a low calorie High fat/High protein diet and I'm losing weight steadily while eating normal stuff and I feel full after every meal.

I really urge you to go to scholar.google.com and look at some of the scientific studies published in medical journals about the positive effects of a high fat/high protein diet and you'll see why Alli (and low fat dieting) is not a good choice.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    When you do the math - its pretty insignificant.

Ignoring the potential side effects... It works by blocking some of the fat absorption. I think 25%? And you need to keep fat under 15-17 grams per meal, which if you consider snacks, would be ~60 per day. So it blocks 15g of fat at 9 calories each. That's 135 calories a day. Since it takes 3500 for a pound, Alli theoretically helps you lose almost 1 pound per month.

The claims of Alli? That its something like 50% more effective way of losing weight? It is not based on 'using' the pill alone, but using the Alli community for support & daily logging of food. THOSE details are the main reason for the success rate, IMO. And you've got that here for free. Without nasty side effects.

There is also the issue that it inadvertently blocks your body's ability to absorb certain vitamins.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted a pill that makes me drip grease out my butt continually....:noway:

Quit looking for magic pills - eat right and exercise. Will save you money on buying new undies too...
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    All I know is it recommends having a change of clothes available especially when you first start it. That is pretty terrifying.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my mom used it. after she quit using it, she gained back all the weight she had lost. she also had trouble with diarrhea while she took it.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    alli weight loss pill i believe is a fat blocker, i did try it, or a product almost identical to it. the side effect is pretty nasty you basically pee and leek out brown oil discharge. its from the oil its preventing from being absorbed, it was too gross so i did not stay on it very long to see any results. pills aren't worth it. ive tried dozens the ones that do work make you feel so crapy or high and the others not worth the risk. some people do have success but im not convinced it hasnt done damage. my friend lost lots of weight on hydroxycut now hes missing a kidney or something.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A side effect is anal leakage/seepage.. It inhibits your ability to process fat (which is an essential macronutrient). I am going to say bad.

This!^

I know someone that took it.....had an accident....and threw the pills away.

All Alli does is scare you away from eating foods that have any fat in them. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat....excess calories (in any form do).

Alli would allow you to eat a pound of jelly beans everyday (obviously high calorie...fat free)....without any consequences. That wouldn't help you lose weight.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    All I know is no cheeseburgers + greasy diarrhea = not for me.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It is always the 18-24 yr old people. SMH.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I tried it back when it came out (and I still thought magic pills could help) and it was pretty gross. I never had any of the "leakage" that people talk about but because of the way the oils *cough* come out *cough* I was literally having to clean my toilet every time I used it, otherwise it left this gross oily ring around the bowl. It was an awful experience.

Also, toilet scrubbing aside, I honestly didn't notice any higher weight loss than just eating right and working out alone.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted a pill that makes me drip grease out my butt continually....:noway:

Quit looking for magic pills - eat right and exercise. Will save you money on buying new undies too...
    You'll need new undies when you lose the weight lol
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In high school I tried all kinds of weight loss pills. Never lost more than 5 lbs. Now down 16 lbs on eating healthy and exercising. Don't fall for their money grubbing gimmicks! Good luck!!! :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Back in 2008 the Army was doing a trial run with it (to see if they wanted to use it for those on the weight control program) and one of my friends took up the offer. She lasted about a week because the leakage was too much to deal with.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My friend tried it. I'll start out with saying she and I share TMI all the time and the "side effects" of her using this pill, decreased my appetite the whole time she was on it.

I'll also add that she lost maybe 5-10lbs on it and gained about 20lbs back...
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's bad news bears from what I hear. they actually suggst you carry extra clothes because you are pretty much guaranteed to soil yourself on this drug.

The side effect are bad.
    Read the below link for a humorous take on them....

http://thewvsr.com/alli.htm
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    mud butt
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My Wednesday really isn't complete until I read a thread about anal leakage.