Sore muscles

Options
What do you do to treat sore muscles from working out? My thighs have been sore since starting strength training, and was wondering if there was something I should be doing to help them along :)

Thanks!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Hydration, foam rolling, stretching, and ibuprofen
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Bananas, LOTS of water, stretching, rest days.
  • BeingKevin2
    BeingKevin2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

All of this.

I also recommend moving more. While sitting and relaxing seems like a good plan, for me just moving around seems to get the pain to relax. Maybe that is just me though?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do all of the above plus i add branch chain aminos to my shakes, that makes a noticeable difference in my soreness the next day. and lots of active recovery , moving stretching rolling
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think for me staying in a routine helps with the soreness. If I take a week off for something and come back to training, the soreness is worse than usual.

There are lots of suggestions I've heard for reducing the soreness, but the only way of getting rid of it is giving it time. A little soreness can serve as a reminder that you worked hard (although it's not a good indicator of how effective your workout was).
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Omega 3 Fish oil supplements - 2000 mg/day
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! Much appreciated.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Along with rest and plenty of water, make sure you're getting enough protein to help your muscles heal. When you work your muscles hard, you're literally tearing them. They need the proper nutrients and hydration to heal and grow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

^^^This

Also, keep moving. I do a full body lifting routine so I always have a day in between lifts...I make sure I get out for a good ride or at least a nice long walk on those days to just keep things moving. It goes a long way.

As you start to get into better shape, the soreness diminishes.