Skateboarding - Actual calories burned

Options
I've searched quite a few places and cannot find a consistent calories burned per period of time for this activity. I'm mostly speaking about skatepark skating and now 'cruising'. If anyone has more information I'd greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• __Bad_Leroy
    Options
    That'll be tough because everyone does it with different intensity. Only suggestion would be to use a HRM to get a baseline, then estimate from there.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect it to be much. Probably something along the lines of walking. I recall standing around a lot waiting for my turn on the ramp or in the pool. Short bursts of activity surrounded by waiting periods. I never did any street style skating though, it wasn't a thing back in the day. That may burn more calories. I don't know.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Good question... no way to answer that.

But boy did I get great leg workouts just skating as fast as I could for as long as I could. My left quad, ham and calf would burn from holding myself in place on the board, while my right quads and hams and calf would be beat from from kicking. Built a lot of my leg foundation on that.

I wonder, that kind of skating has got to have some kind of appreciable calorie burn perhaps.
  • Rpmmachine
    Rpmmachine Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HRM but I have a fit bit. maybe get some idea from that as far as 'steps' and try to extrapolate. Like walking but the jumping and pushing is like sprinting at times.

Talk about a leg foundation, i'm all legs and core. Need to build my upper body to match.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Talk about a leg foundation, i'm all legs and core. Need to build my upper body to match.
    I was in the same position and then somewhere I forgot to return to my lower body - trying to correct that now. lol