Hida Scan No Gallbladder found

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Your surgeon will explain the whole surgery to you. It's easy to get nervous around doctors, especially when you're young and not used to them and then forget to ask questions you had, so write every question down.

Surgeons understand that people are nervous. That's the whole point of that appointment! The surgeon doesn't need to hear from you! She/He's there to explain it all and let you ask questions, to make you feel better. Every single person going into surgery is nervous - even surgeons. When the surgeon becomes the patient, they're nervous, too!

He's going to explain it all and they'll tell you what to do AND give you a piece of paper with all your instructions on it because they know you're nervous and going to forget everything they tell you. :)

Some places do your pre-OP testing before the day of surgery, which is awesome. It's just an appointment and no big whup. They have you fill out a bunch of forms, ask you 8 million questions, take some blood, your blood pressure and temp and stuff, go over what you're supposed to do (again, lol) and that's it. I like that better than doing it the day of surgery. Who wants to get poked and fill out forms when they're thinking, "I might die now"??

And everyone thinks that. It's normal.

The worst part of being a patient, IMO, is how you feel like a piece of meat sometimes. They tell you to sit and wait. They leave you on a stretcher in a hallway. They come and do their thing, mostly looking at their computers or tablets, and never give a crap about you. So many people, coming and going, in and out, obviously busy and eager to be done with you. That and all the waiting. The actual surgery - not so horrible. Of all the people I deal with, the ones in the surgical room are always the nicest, lol.

Being wheeled into that room is scary, the first time. You aren't wearing your clothes. Even though you're all covered up, you still feel exposed. You aren't in control of your movement. Someone else is wheeling you. The room: It's bright. It's cold. Lots of machines. LOTS OF MACHINES. Big, strange, scary-looking. Things covered in blue cloths, making you wonder just what kind of torturous instruments they're hiding under there, lol. But then they give you meds and you start to feel a little high. Then they talk to you and soon they tell you they're giving you more meds and then you fall asleep very quickly.

It's so normal to get scared when you're wheeled in. Remember that those people do it every day, just like you go to school or work every day. It's a safe place full of people who take care of others for a living. Try to remember that and not freak, lol.

Wear slip-on shoes in case you don't feel like bending to tie. Plan to wear home the shirt that looks best bra-less in case you don't feel like putting on a bra. If you're staying overnight, bring a blanket. It might get cold and the wait for another can be long. Bring gum. It gets dry in hospitals.

I know it's a huge deal for you, but they do this all the time, they're ready for everything...even some weird thing that only goes wrong one time out of a bazillion - they're ready for it. That's their job. It's what they DO.

They're going to take care of you. And they're going to walk you through all of it.

:)

Gallbladder surgery is usually no big whup after. Most people are up and about the next day and feel quite themselves a day or two later. A week after, you'll be thinking, "I was so silly to be so worried." (And that's normal, too!)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    i had my gallbladder removed first of the year and wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink (not even water) they let me have a gross sponge to wet my lips on. This was overnight and i didn't have surgery til the following evening. so as for prepping, stay calm, don't eat/drink anything and if you have an attack go to the er.

She can't go without eating or drinking. Well she could go without eating if she had to but she has to drink something or she'll become dehydrated very fast, her appt. isn't until Friday. If she needs to eat jello and ice cream then do that, but she has to drink.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ok so coming here to ask what others were told prior to surgery is a bad thing? wow just wow.

to think I actually thought I could get others experiences to get an idea of what I am in for.

Thank you to those who actually responded kindly.

To those who keep saying talk to your doctor, yeah am doing that Friday (see previous post), wanted to kind of find out other experiences I like to be prepared for things.

I have no experience with being told I am missing an organ, but I would get a second opinion.

Ok, internal organ.
    Nobody was told they were missing an organ.

If you people had stopped to consider that it was YOU (and not her) who didn't understand, you all could've spent less time making fun of a scared, young girl and more time making fun of someone else for not weighing their pasta properly or something.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I was sore as heck for 2 days, iffy on day 3, and back at work 4 days after, albeit very, very slowly moving about. I was golfing at 2 weeks and cycling at 3 weeks after surgery. I am told that I was a fast recovery, but I am sure being in shape helped. Another guy at work had his gallbladder removed and he was back at work in 4 days as well (restricted duty as well) - and he did it with NO pain meds (I still can't believe it!!!) His complete recovery was also about 2 to 3 weeks.

Hydrocodone was awesome! Set a timer to get your meds every 4 hours (or whatever the time span is on the prescription) so you don't fall asleep and get completely off the meds...this is not good. Seriously - do this! I am not kidding. Pay attention to this!

After about 36 hours, I was already backing off the meds during the day and using them at night. No pain meds needed after 5 days...not even at night.

As for foods - talk to the doc. Do some experimenting and you will find that their list is more restrictive than you need it to be for you. Ease into new foods.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I was sore as heck for 2 days, iffy on day 3, and back at work 4 days after, albeit very, very slowly moving about. I was golfing at 2 weeks and cycling at 3 weeks after surgery. I am told that I was a fast recovery, but I am sure being in shape helped. Another guy at work had his gallbladder removed and he was back at work in 4 days as well (restricted duty as well) - and he did it with NO pain meds (I still can't believe it!!!) His complete recovery was also about 2 to 3 weeks.

Hydrocodone was awesome! Set a timer to get your meds every 4 hours (or whatever the time span is on the prescription) so you don't fall asleep and get completely off the meds...this is not good. Seriously - do this! I am not kidding. Pay attention to this!

After about 36 hours, I was already backing off the meds during the day and using them at night. No pain meds needed after 5 days...not even at night.

As for foods - talk to the doc. Do some experimenting and you will find that their list is more restrictive than you need it to be for you. Ease into new foods.

Everyone handles pain differently. I took nothing for pain but Motrin and only a couple of times. The nurses came in after surgery and said we have pain meds for you and I told her no thank you, she was surprised, LOL. And your right the first 2 to 3 days were the worst but by the 5th day I was back to normal doing my normal thing. (didn't have to worry about going to work). But your advice about setting a timer for pain meds is great advice.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    ok so coming here to ask what others were told prior to surgery is a bad thing? wow just wow.

to think I actually thought I could get others experiences to get an idea of what I am in for.

Thank you to those who actually responded kindly.

To those who keep saying talk to your doctor, yeah am doing that Friday (see previous post), wanted to kind of find out other experiences I like to be prepared for things.

Well, none of us are licensed physicians. We do not know the exact details of your condition. Is your gallbladder totally blocked due to gallstones? Is it gangrenous? Are you currently having digestive issues when eating fatty foods? Are you vomiting?

Point being that there are many factors - the questions I asked were all yes for me, and I was in the fetal position crying before I was taken to the ER, where I puked up undigested pizza from the night before into the sink. I was in the hospital for nearly a week because of the level of infection.

Just because that's how it was for me does not mean that's how it is for everyone, hence why people are suggesting that you speak to a professional who knows your case and history. They are the ones who are best suited to help you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ok sorry to not be so clear on my OP

Had the HIDA scan done, after an hour no trace, after two hours no trace, after three hours no trace of the injected radio active dye. Hence they couldnt find my gallbladder (her words not mine). I have an appointment with a surgeon on Friday to discuss surgery.

I trust my doctor and this surgeon he had removed a tumor off my back last year when no one else would touch it as it never came up on scans.

My question was to find what others have typically done prior to surgery to prep if they have had this surgery done to remove the gallbladder.

Im currently on watch as Im in danger of it bursting and if I have any issues I have to immediatly go to the ER. This is why I asked if there was anything reccomended to others Pre surgery, just in case I want to be prepared. Food wise.
    Thank you for explaining. I have no answer, but I hope things go well for you. Hang in there.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Once they know exactly when you will go in for surgery, they will have you fast, but that will be their call. I wouldn't worry about it beofrehand. As for the surgery, it's relatively minor with a nice quick recovery time (barring issues, of course).

Once you've had it removed you may have some dietary issues, I know people who can't eat dairy after having theirs out (it goes right through them, IYKWIM), and some people need to stay low fat to avoid heartburn.

Right now, I'd say stay hydrated, as if they decide to yank it, you might suddenly find yourself fasting on short notice.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If anything special needs to be done, diet, etc.
    You Doctor will tell you...if not ask him.
    tumblr_m13nxaNo7R1qhx3ir.gif
    How very Unhelpful.

Guys: the OP is asking for help. She's probably a bit scared (she's posted several threads about her condition). She's probably a bit nervous. Can we lay off the usual adolescent crap?

I'm sure she's not the first to be bewildered by what the docs are saying....

Asking a doctor or nurse for clarification is too hard! Just come to the internet, right?
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If they couldn't find your gall bladder with radioactive dye it indicates the bile duct from your liver to your gallbladder is blocked.

If your having gall bladder pain and waiting for surgery just avoid foods high in fat. I'd stick to a tiny amount of lean meat (chicken/tuna etc) and fruit/veggies and some grains like rice/whole wheat bread.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How very Unhelpful.

Guys: the OP is asking for help. She's probably a bit scared (she's posted several threads about her condition). She's probably a bit nervous. Can we lay off the usual adolescent crap?

Asking a doctor or nurse for clarification is too hard! Just come to the internet, right?
    Clearly you've never anxiously waited for an appointment to ask questions.
    When you have nothing to offer, why not just skip the thread?
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out 4 weeks ago. I went to the ER in severe pain and after the CT scan they pumped me full of antibiotics and morphine. I had the surgery that evening. They wouldn't let me eat anything once I hit the ER and put me on IVs so I can't help on that. I woke up from surgery in so much less pain than before!

I did have a drainage tube though and that was a pain. So far, I have to eat small amounts at a time and chew really, really well. I seem to tolerate most foods, but lettuce throws my intestines for a loop? I used to eat a salad at every lunch and this just puzzles me. At 4 weeks, my taste buds are still off and I have no desire to eat really fatty foods.

I read somewhere that the worse your gallbladder is when removed, the better the recovery. By the time mine was taken out, it was plugged with a gall boulder and was basically non-functional.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My mom had gallbladder surgery, she also had a gallbladder before the surgery so this might be different for you.

It was a day surgery, she was out of the hospital like the next day (as she was having complications before going for surgery and was not able to be at home). They apparently just make 2 dinky little incisions, and then they basically take a wand thing and "melt'' the gallbladder...or something like that. They dont cut you open anymore as technology has advanced.

Dont quote me on any of this.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My mom had gallbladder surgery, she also had a gallbladder before the surgery so this might be different for you.

It was a day surgery, she was out of the hospital like the next day (as she was having complications before going for surgery and was not able to be at home). They apparently just make 2 dinky little incisions, and then they basically take a wand thing and "melt'' the gallbladder...or something like that. They dont cut you open anymore as technology has advanced.

. . . um four incisions and the gallbladder is put in a little bag and removed through the incision right above your belly button . . . much better than the old surgery but they do pump you up with gas and there are cuts through the abdominal wall . . . just much smaller:wink:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

. . . um four incisions and the gallbladder is put in a little bag and removed through the incision right above your belly button . . . much better than the old surgery but they do pump you up with gas and there are cuts through the abdominal wall . . . just much smaller:wink:
    Almost exactly this for me although the largest incision is more like 4 inches above my belly button and it's about an inch and a half long, horizontally.

OP, since I'd had no complications with mine it was done as out-patient surgery. I was home within a couple of hours and back to work 5 days later. I slept a LOT those first few days and I used a wedge pillow to prop myself up in bed to sleep. That helped a bunch because sleeping was uncomfortable and lying down flat and getting up again was difficult and painful. I needed my husband's help to get up from the sofa for the first few days. Laughing was painful as was coughing, sneezing, etc. It took a few weeks before sleeping on my side (my normal position) was comfortable again. When I went back to work I did work half days the first two days because I was worn out after 4 hours of sitting at my desk. I'd suggest giving yourself a week off before you return to work at a desk job; longer if your work has you more active.

Now, as a contrast.... I had my appendix out 18 months ago. That was another issue although very similar surgery. My appendix was leaking but hadn't burst. There was bacteria in my bloodstream. I started feeling bad Tuesday around 5pm, Wednesday at Noon I was in the ER, they confirmed it was my appendix by around 5pm, surgery was at 1am Thursday morning. I have similar scars in different places from that surgery. I left the hospital on Friday around Noon and I was out of work for 2 and a half weeks. I probably could have gone in earlier but this time I actually filed for short term disability instead of doing the surgery and recovery on my own time.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    How very Unhelpful.

In my world advising people to seek a professional's opinion trumps uninformed "advice" every time. You can play Internet doctor/psychologist all you want but it doesn't make it correct.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How very Unhelpful.

In my world advising people to seek a professional's opinion trumps uninformed "advice" every time. You can play Internet doctor/psychologist all you want but it doesn't make it correct.
    As we know you're free to do what you want.

I stand by my statement that the majority of the early comments were unnecessary, and unhelpful. If you think they should seek medical advice, SAY THAT.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    How very Unhelpful.

As we know you're free to do what you want.

I stand by my statement that the majority of the early comments were unnecessary, and unhelpful. If you think they should seek medical advice, SAY THAT.

Say that? You mean like what's up there in your quote?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    if the scan said you had no gallbladder... are they doing surgery to put it back?
    That was my question ...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If they couldn't find your gall bladder with radioactive dye it indicates the bile duct from your liver to your gallbladder is blocked.

If your having gall bladder pain and waiting for surgery just avoid foods high in fat. I'd stick to a tiny amount of lean meat (chicken/tuna etc) and fruit/veggies and some grains like rice/whole wheat bread.
    Ah, I see.

I had mine out a couple years ago. The doctor didn't give me any special diet, but peanut butter had me bedridden every time I ate it, so I didn't eat it.

The surgery is pretty simple and easy. You can't see any of my scars anymore, though my belly button is smaller inside now from the way they stitched it up. :-)

Post-surgery I can eat anything.

So my advice is that if eating something makes you sick, don't eat that. And also, as others said, ask your doctor.