Does anyone else have an office job?

Options
I am looking for some advice... I sit at a desk all day and I feel like my muscles are just going to mush.

I am definetly very active when I get home I run or do insanity or both. But It just drives me crazy to sit all day...

I've asked to bring in a yoga ball to sit on but its a safety hazard not aloud :(

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I never email anyone in the office anymore, I get up and talk to them.

I go walking on all my breaks.

Sometimes I'm the weirdo doing walking lunges down to the copier

Wall sits or squats randomly

I have a small low key office so I can get away with a lot. I know some people if working in a more populated office use their bathroom breaks as a time to get in a few squats or something.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do have an office job after 15 years of having an extremely physical one. I have to say, it's not that much harder to lose weight now than it was then. The only part that is harder is resisting office snacks/foods that people bring in. Being at a physical job, I was too busy/dirty to eat much! I workout when I get home as well and sometimes I tell myself maybe I'm not doing enough, but my weight loss isn't any slower now than when I lost weight after both of my pregnancies at my physical job. I guess the best advice I could give you would be to do more weights if you're worried about your muscles, and try to be pretty active on the weekends. =)
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Walk on your breaks. Do wall squats in your office or squats every time you have to use the bathroom. Sitting all day at work doesn't have to mean you are not fit if you are working out and eating well.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Sitting all day is tough! I try to walk around once every hour for 5 minutes. Just that brief break helps a bit. Walk during your lunch and breaks - that will really help. Because your diet is the most critical part of the weight loss journey - take your food and avoid all the treats that others bring in.
  • galepa
    galepa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do air peddles, like I'm riding a bike in my chair. it tightens my tummy and moves my legs.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    8-5 Mon-Fri
    I take the stairs whenever possible, sometimes I will even take the stairs to go use the restroom, even though I have one on my floor. What do you do for your breaks and lunch? You could take conversation laps around the office to say hi, or walk the block. Do sets of push ups at your desk, body weight squats. I like the idea of lunges to the copier as well :smile:
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Definitely get up and walk around every once in a while. I read somewhere to set a timer for like 45 minutes (or whatever interval you want), then when it goes off, get up and walk around for 5 minutes, even if you're in the middle of an email or something. I get up often in my office, so I haven't tried it, but it seems like a good idea.

Also, could you maybe ask for one of those adjustable desks? That way you could move it to a standing position and stand/shift around until you get tired, and then move it back to sitting. Less hazardous than a bosu ball, hopefully ;)
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have an office job. I get up and take a 5-minute walking break once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I also tend to walk to talk with others instead of calling on the phone.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    yoga ball is a safety hazard?? If they feel that way you can do one better they actually make a chair that is a yoga ball complete with a back on it and wheels on the bottom. Can't be a safety hazard then. My dentist office switched all their chairs to these including in the office and the hygienists. I asked them what they thought of them and everyone loved them a lot of them said that they used to have lower back pain and now they do not. I use a yoga ball at work but I work for a small company and they do not care what I do as long as I get my work done.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I sit all day (8 hours) at my job. I can't get any special seat either to work my core so I make sure to get out and walk at least twice a day for 10-15 minutes. I usually also walk on my lunch break, after I eat, of course.
    If you can do squats or lunges while waiting at the copier or coffee machine, then do so. I have found that if I increase my nightly work out by just a little I get great benefit. One more mile to run or 20 more minutes to bike has been very beneficial. One of my co-workers actually brings a yoga mat to work and does stretches in one of the larger bathroom stalls twice a day... personally,not my preference, but she has some rehab issues so she has to do them like 5 times a day...
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with jquijas; if you are determined, you can get in lunges, body weight squats and push-ups throughout the day. And the taking the stairs to get to a bathroom on another floor? I do that as well; I'll have to do lunges to the copier/printer one of these days; may get looks, but will probably incite some laughter too! :)
  • mad_lifting_runner
    mad_lifting_runner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Standing desk FTW. :) At this point I'd quit any job that didn't let me stand all day.
  • jordanwalker1531
    jordanwalker1531 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    See if your office will buy you a stand up workstation. They are a bit pricey but you can adjust them to be at your height sitting or standing. If it's too expensive a balance ball chair is helpful too.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do!! And I have to be glued to a computer and I have to have hard copies of everything so I have to email instead of going and talking to people. I use this though and it helps:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/07/deskercise-33-smart-ways-to-exercise-at-work/
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I set a timer on my phone and move every 45 minutes. The first time I'll go to the bathroom (the farthest one away, even if I don't have to go) and the next time I'll do a 6 minute power walk around the building. I always use the farthest bathroom and I drink A LOT of water so I have to go a lot.

Doing that alone took me from barely reaching 2000 steps a day to 10,000+ without really thinking about it.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    With the amount of water I drink I have to use the bathroom several times a day. Couple that with the number of trips to the printer and some days I feel like I get a full work out in. Other than that I stand up and stretch whenever I feel the need and also will often walk around on my lunch hour.
  • adalynn23
    Options
    OMG I've received so many awesome responses!!!

I will definetly take everyones advice. Im so happy someone mentioned doing squats in the bathroom cause I do do those in the handicapped stall LOL. Im glad Im not the only one that thought of that ahahaha.

Thanks so much guys keep give the advice!! So glad I joined :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my husband has a desk job and he goes to the gym every day on his lunch hour. not sure if that is an option for you.
    :smile:
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I use a lumbar back support to help with my posture. We have an office gym that I literally walk by to use the bathroom, so I get my workouts in during my lunch hour 3x week. I also make sure I get up and walk around every hour or so to get some water, use the bathroom, go talk to someone. It helps that a part of our office is on another floor, so I tend to go up and down the stairs a couple times a day. You could also go for a walk during your lunch break.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day as well so I take LOTS of breaks. Drinking lots of water through the day requires lots of bathroom breaks :smile:

Sometimes I will do squats or jumping jacks in another area where no one is around, or if I am in the washroom i will do incline pushups using the countertop.

Any chance I get away from my desk I do some sort of "quickie" workout to keep my energy up.