Bar Estilo Tapas Bar - what to eat from this menu?

Options
Hi guys,

I'm going out for my best friend's birthday on Friday at a tapas bar - here is the menu.

http://www.barestilo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/BE-South-Main-Menu.jpg

What should I eat? I'm thinking the chicken small plates are probably the best option, or should I go for the salad? There isn't any nutritional information available!

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eat what looks delicious to you and call it a fun night out.
  • NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would think anything on the seafood list would be fine except the fried stuff. The olives and almonds would be fine except the sodium in the olives? Oh, and the vegetables sound good like the chickpeas, mushrooms. Mmm, I'm getting hungry now.

I found this, it might help:
    http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2009/06/12/healthier-dining-out-spanish-tapas/

good luck!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    The chicken skewers, steamed mussels, spiced chickpeas, or Moroccan Spiced butternut squash would probably all be good choices. The fish skewers sound good. Maybe ask if you can substitute the fries for some kind of veggie?

That menu looks great! Wish we had places like that in Memphis!
  • rachledezjones
    rachledezjones Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I think I'm going to go for the chicken, chickpeas and butternut squash - and share with my hubby! I just hope I can ignore the halloumi and chorizo that everyone else will probably order!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Spicy meatballs? I love meaty balls!

I would so order that. Yum!

But, to answer your question, the fish stew, fish skewers and mussels are great choices. Just watch the fries.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options

But, to answer your question, the fish stew, fish skewers and mussels are great choices. Just watch the fries.

:devil:
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm going out for my best friend's birthday on Friday at a tapas bar - here is the menu.

What should I eat? I'm thinking the chicken small plates are probably the best option, or should I go for the salad? There isn't any nutritional information available!

you do realize that in asking this question, everyone is going to answer based on their own food plan and their perception of "healthy".

if you see something YOU like and it fits in YOUR eating plan, then eat it. if portions are an issue, eat half and bring the other half home for tomorrow. but don't ask a bunch of random strangers to pick your menu items. you might as well ask people "what should my favorite color be?"
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

J_Lawrence_Wink.gif
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I agree with this person. Tapas is just plain delicious!!! Order everything that sounds yumtastic and enjoy yourself. If I were going out for tapas, I'd make sure I worked out beforehand, and then I would have myself a grand ole' time. Have some sangria too, while you're at it... ;-)
  • _BearNecessities_
    Options

J_Lawrence_Wink.gif

jim-carrey-reaction-gifs
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I think many of us are here because of too many fun nights. It's always someone's birthday.
  • NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think that's part of the problem. If you give into that mentality you're back where you started aren't you? Go balls to the wall eating whatever you want because it's "fun"?
  • _BearNecessities_
    Options

J_Lawrence_Wink.gif

Ok, let's try this again now that I'm home....

mask.gif
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I think many of us are here because of too many fun nights. It's always someone's birthday.

here here
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I have returned from the South of Spain ( tapas country ! ) less than a week ago and ate tapas every day.
    Not only did I eat tapas but with each portion I drank, as it is customary, a small sherry or a small glass of wine, avoiding anything mixed like sangria or cocktails. The only thing I did was limiting myself to four servings per evening, but apart from that I did not limit myself. I did not gain a single oz. Of course I counted the tapas as a meal and did not have dinner on top of them.
    I think you could easily do the same.
    Have fun !
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

you do realize that in asking this question, everyone is going to answer based on their own food plan and their perception of "healthy".

if you see something YOU like and it fits in YOUR eating plan, then eat it. if portions are an issue, eat half and bring the other half home for tomorrow. but don't ask a bunch of random strangers to pick your menu items. you might as well ask people "what should my favorite color be?"

Awww, no need to be hostile.
  • rachledezjones
    rachledezjones Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies!

If I had been 'back on the wagon' for longer, I would consider treating it as a fun night, but as many have said... I'm here because of too many fun nights!

I really appreciate all of your help :) I'm going to avoid anything fried and have a good work out beforehand.