Drinking on citalopram

Options
Hello guys.

I would love to know your experiences of drinking on citalopram. I'm on 10mg of cit and I haven't drunk in so long, never whilst I've been on it which would be a little more than a year. I've heard some horror stories about it. Like getting drunk faster, blacking out, killer hangovers. I don't tend to drink much anyway when I do, I'm a lightweight and one bottle of smirnoff ice, 500ml, will get me tipsy. The max I drink is two. I'm 163cm which is 5'3/ 5'4 and my weight as of this morning was 10 stone 5. Which I believe is 145lb.

Anyway, what are your experiences drinking on it? What would you recommend? It's my birthday on the 6th and I may have a bit of wine.

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Citalopram is also used under these other names:

Akarin, Celapram, Celexa, Celica, Ciazil, Cilate, Cilift, Cimal, Cipram, Cipramil, Cipraned, Ciprapine, Ciprotan, Citabax, Citaxin, Citalec, Citalex, Citalo, Citol, Citox, Citrol, Citta, Clitoram, Dalsan, Denyl, Elopram, Estar, Humorup, Humorap, Oropram, Opra, Pram, Pramcit, Recital, Sepram, Seropram, Talam, Temperax, Vodelax, Zentius, Zetalo, Zylotex.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Definitely a question for your prescribing doctor. A quick call to their office should give you the answer.
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yeah... please ask your doctor or pharmacist.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Heh um, well I learned something from you. I've drank pretty regularly on mine. Sometimes, a six pack will land me with a bad drunk/hangover. Other times, it's nothing at all. I think you might be "worse" off due to your not drinking much anyhow. Have someone drive you though just in case. Better safe than sorry!!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    here is what I would be worried about!
    Sexual dysfunction is often a side effect with SSRIs. Specifically, common side effects include difficulty becoming aroused, lack of interest in sex, and anorgasmia (trouble achieving orgasm). Genital anesthesia,[30] loss of or decreased response to sexual stimuli, and ejaculatory anhedonia are also possible. Although usually reversible, in some people these sexual side effects become permanent after the drug has been completely withdrawn.[31] This is known as post-SSRI sexual dysfunction. One study showed however that when remission of major depressive disorder is achieved, quality of life is reported to be higher in spite of sexual side effects.[32]

On a more serious side you should call your doctor??
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I am on Citalopram and I find that drinks hit me a lot arder on this medication, mind you I rarely drink.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My pharmacist did it this way:

"Promise me that your first beer on this drug will be in your pjs at home with your buddies. just to see how it goes. if it goes fine then go for it. know you may get drunker faster and may get more depressed then reguarly while drunk"

So thats what I did (about four years ago). I am on 20mg and 150 of welbutrin xl. I drink fine its just instead of 12 drinks my max is 6.
    I dont drink much but I do enjoy a beer every now and then
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday (early) I agree with contacting your doc or pharmacist.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    This passed my mind when I asked this question (doh), but I do remember being told I can have a few, not many by a doctor. He wasn't my usual doctor, but I trust him. I can't get hold of my normal doctor, I go every three months to get a prescription and see her, but it's with a doctor I've never met each time as she is so busy with her other patients. My cousin who was on the same dosage said if I drink a little bit like some of you have been saying, I should be fine. Thanks for all your help, and don't worry, I'm very cautious and will make sure to have a bit to drink here at home and see how it goes.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Happy Birthday (early) I agree with contacting your doc or pharmacist.

Thank you for the bday wishes.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    BUMP.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    This passed my mind when I asked this question (doh), but I do remember being told I can have a few, not many by a doctor. He wasn't my usual doctor, but I trust him. I can't get hold of my normal doctor, I go every three months to get a prescription and see her, but it's with a doctor I've never met each time as she is so busy with her other patients. My cousin who was on the same dosage said if I drink a little bit like some of you have been saying, I should be fine. Thanks for all your help, and don't worry, I'm very cautious and will make sure to have a bit to drink here at home and see how it goes.

You don't need an appointment to ask your doctor, just call the office and ask the secretary to speak to the nurse and ask, OR leave a message for the doctor to call you back. Shouldn't be a big deal.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options

You don't need an appointment to ask your doctor, just call the office and ask the secretary to speak to the nurse and ask, OR leave a message for the doctor to call you back. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Unlike America, in England you usually make an appointment and don't talk to your doctor on the phone, it's not the normal thing to do . I already cleared this up anyway by saying another already said I could have a small amount of alcohol. Please read thoroughly.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been on citalopram on/off for about 6 years. Some people cannot tolerate any alcohol at all on it, some can tolerate more. I'm usually okay with a couple of drinks but find that some days I'm more of a lightweight than others. I definitely could not tolerate as much as I used to before being on the medication.

I suggest the first time you see how they interact, you have a drink at home with someone to determine if you have a bad reaction or any reaction at all. It's generally not dangerous, a lot of people just get drunk on a lot less alcohol. So it's not ideal to experiment with the interaction while you're out and about.

Good luck and I hope the medication has been helping!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I've been on citalopram on/off for about 6 years. Some people cannot tolerate any alcohol at all on it, some can tolerate more. I'm usually okay with a couple of drinks but find that some days I'm more of a lightweight than others. I definitely could not tolerate as much as I used to before being on the medication.

I suggest the first time you see how they interact, you have a drink at home with someone to determine if you have a bad reaction or any reaction at all. It's generally not dangerous, a lot of people just get drunk on a lot less alcohol. So it's not ideal to experiment with the interaction while you're out and about.

Good luck and I hope the medication has been helping!

Thank you! Yes the meds have helped me become my average self again. I was on the verge of a breakdown, my anxiety was so bad, I could not relax. They helped stop that, and I don't have panic attacks anymore also. But I think I do need to up a dose as I've been quite emotional lately, but I think that's from stress also.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Had a glass of wine. Completely fine.A little bit away with the fairies, but completely fine. I'm not really tipsy or any of that, and I'm meant to be a lightweight.