ABS...

Options
Question:
I do my 60+ minutes of cardio every day, I strength train my upper body two days a week, lower body alternate two days per week, total body one day per week, and work my abs evryday per week...looks like this;

SUNDAY - 60+ min cardio
strength - abs
stretch/flexibility
MONDAY - 60+ min cardio
strength - upperbody
strength - abs
stretch/flexibility
TUESDAY - 60+ min cardio
strength -lowerbody
strength - abs
stretch/flexibility
WEDNESDAY - 60+ min cardio
strength - Totalbody
strength - abs
stretch/flexibility
THURSDAY - 60+ min cardio
strength -lowerbody
strength - abs
stretch/flexibility
FRIDAY - 60+ min cardio
strength - upperbody
strength - abs
stretch/flexibility
SATURDAY - SUNDAY - 60+ min cardio
strength - abs
stretch/flexibility

**I figured cardio everyday keeps my heart health strong. Stretching/flexibility everyday before bed helps me sleep better. I work my abs everyday because I want to keep my center core strong. I decided to focus on upper body only two days a week as well as lower body and total body one day a week (5 days/wk) so they can rest on Sat & Sun.**

Question is...am I over doing it? Is this a good plan? I would like feedback/advice, please. :smile:

Replies

• Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I would assume it's a good plan, but at least have one day of complete rest..like whole body, not just arms, if not two days. I was told that your body still needs to repair itself.

Just me though.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I workout my Abs every second day out of 6 days. I rest my whole body on Sunday. Your body needs to rest and build muscle. Get plenty of sleep too, and protein. This is just from my workout program and research of the product. best wishes on what your lookin' for...
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree - great plan - but you need a rest day...and I find after my rest day - I can really give me the rest of the week...
  • Larry7995
    Options
    I think its great!

My body lets me know when I need a break, I work out 5-6 days a week. I do something different every day, today will be Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu, tomorrow eve I will go to the gym and do stairmill and Saturday start my weekly weight training cycle with chest and some cardio, Sunday back weights and maybe cardio, Monday Pilates and arms, Tuesday martial arts and maybe spin, Wed shoulder weights and Pilates etc
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goals are, and in the order in which you do things. If you do cardio first before your weight training, you are going to burn all of your top tier energy reserves on cardio, and not have them available for Strength Training. Strength training is cardio in itself, it burns calories and raises the heart rate. If you are still going to do both, it makes sense to best do them at different times of the day, i.e one in the morning and one at night, so your body has time to recover your energy reserves.

Also, your day of total body strength training is problematic. You should never strength train the same body parts two days in a row. Your body needs 48 hours to recover those muscles. In your set up, you are doing strength with lower body three days in a row, which isn't a good idea. I'd suggest doing 3 lower and 2 upper one week, then switching to 3 upper and two lower the other week.

Also, try to keep one day a total rest day, or your body will burn out. I would also try to rest abs one of the days during the week, so you're not doing it 6 days straight.

It may not seem like a good idea to rest, but proper rest and recovery periods are as important to fitness as doing the actual work itself. If you overdo it, you won't see the results you are looking for.
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    Ok, so then maybe;

SUNDAY -60+ min cardio
    strength -lowerbody
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

MONDAY - 60+ min cardio
    strength - upperbody
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

TUESDAY - 60+ min cardio
    strength - Totalbody
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

strength -lowerbody
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

strength - upperbody
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

FRIDAY - REST TOTALLY REST!!

SATURDAY - 60+ min cardio
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

**My goal is total lifestyl change...FIT and FAB!! Being 200 lbs right now I want to lose weight, but that is a minor prat of what I am aiming for.**

Does this look better?
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that we exercise our abs every day ( stablization, walking,etc)
    Cardio, weights, and nutrition will do more for you then a killer AB workout as the body decides where to burn fat.
    AB workouts are important, just don't over do it... You will get noticeable results by spending your energy elsewhere.

Good luck!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You're over training your abs. Every other day is sufficient. If your abs are having issues then do leg lifting type ab work for the pouch area.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'd keep the ab workouts to 3x a week and get rid of the total body strength training on Tuesday. I'm afraid with your current schedule you'll likely overtrain. Overtraining and stress (from lack of adequate rest) will keep your cortisol levels up and hinder your weight loss.
  • wpij25
    Options
    Then;

SUNDAY -60+ min cardio
    strength -lowerbody
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

MONDAY - 60+ min cardio
    strength - upperbody
    stretch/flexibility

TUESDAY - 60+ min cardio
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

strength -lowerbody
    stretch/flexibility

strength - upperbody
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

FRIDAY - REST TOTALLY REST!!

SATURDAY - 60+ min cardio
    strength - abs
    stretch/flexibility

Better? HUH? @ Pinoy_Pal, and edorice??
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Much better, and make sure you have variety in the ab workouts.
  • wpij25
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! :smile:
  • Wolverine2011
    Options
    Up until recently i was working my abs everyday...my core felt solid but i couldnt get conditioned, i wasnt losing fat on my tummy and cudnt understand why...someone told me to split set four times a week...supersets, very intense...now my abs are ripping up and hardening big time. heres my workout.

Mon
    treadmill warm up
    Stretches
    Arms and Chest (split supersets)
    Abs (crunches x 50, the 30 xside crunches) so 100 altogether, then 5 mins plank, followed by 30 leg raises

Tues
    Bike Warm up
    Stretches
    Back and Shoulders (split supersets)
    treadmill incline walk warm down

Weds

Rower warm up
    Stretches
    Legs and Core (Heavy Compound) etc
    Abs-Cruches on ball, plank on ball, leg raises etc

Thurs
    REST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and get loads of quality protein!

Fri

CIRCUIT
    Warm up as you wish then nail every body part as intensely as possible...short rest periods but plently of water...use the machines first before the free weight as yourl then have work so much harder to keep good form etc...the session shouldnt last more than 40 mins...

Sat
    REST and Recover :)

Sunday

Start as Above !!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Honestly where there is no reason to spend that much time on your abs. Muscles grow while recovering from a workout, not during it.

I work my abs for 15 minutes tops once a week.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You can integrate core work into some lower body workouts.
    For example you can do your squats and deadlifts on a wobble board or a BOSU ball.

When you say "strength training", what do you actually do? And what is your goal?

Free weights will work your core much better than machines.

Personally when I do a hard weight training session on my legs, I would not be doing cardio first, because the whole point is to have really good form when you do heavy barbell squats.

Sometimes I knock out 100 body-weight only wobble board squats after spinning, but I would not really regard that as real strength training.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Furthermore on the "abs" issue... I would look at it more as "core" strength training. You also need to consider your lower back. I see loads of people just do sit ups and never train their lower backs.

So what do you do for abs?

Sit ups on an incline bench? Reverse Curls? Crunches with a weight? Russian twists on a fitball? Oblique twists with a weight?
    Do you also do your obliques or just central abs?

Sorry so many questions, but it's hard to advise you properly without knowing what you actually do.