2 Days in and Discouraged

Options
2»

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    No I don't think you're a jerk at all. I just got very nervous when I cut my calories so much and saw an increase in weight and then maintained it. When I try other plans I usually see a drop day 1 and 2 and then it seems to go up after a few more days so I quit the plan. This is unusual so I just got really nervous that this will work especially since i am so hungry.

I am used to vegan "all you can eat" plans which is how/why I have gained so much weight.

If you are discouraged by a .4 pound gain, then this will be a really tough journey for you. Read through the Success Stories and see how it really happens. Weight fluctuates. Daily. Hourly. A .4 pound gain is not a gain. My intent is not to sound snarky, but your post sounds unrealistic and I agree with the poster who feels you are not really ready for change. If you were in it for the long haul, you'd do what you need to do for 30 days, and then get on the scale and take measurements.
  • veganistanic
    Options
    Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I do get that 2 days is ridiculous to judge. I just got freaked out by a gain because whenever I start a "plan" I usually lose the first day or so that's all.

I haven't calorie counted in a long time and from everything I have read in the vegan world you do not need to. Clearly I do otherwise I wouldn't have gained as much weight as I did.

I will hang in there but I certainly won't be using this message board for "encouragement".

I will have to find that from within.

It's too early in my journey to get such hostility.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I started at 138 (5'2" at 44 yrs) and I had a difficult time sticking to 1200 calories so I had 1380 and I gained .4
    The next day I had 1330 calories and maintained the .4 gain.
    I know I'm only two days in but I am finding this discouraging.
    Going by BMI, a healthy weight range is 105 - 130, so you're very close to a healthy weight.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    But you're short enough that 120 lb (1200 cal) is reasonable.

Having so little to lose, it's going to happen slowly.
    If you lose 0.5 lb a week, or even every 2 weeks, that's a victory.
    In 2 days you're not going to see anything, or at most you'll see water weight loss.
    You didn't gain weight in 2 days, you're not going to lose it in 2 days.
    To lose a pound, you have to cut or burn 3500 calories.
    But if you can do weightlifting, even body weight workouts, you'll likely see changes in shape maybe before you see changes in weight.
    You might find that your weight stays the same but your body slims down, because fat is fluffy & muscle is compact.
    I can't excercise for at least a week or two due to an injury but I have been sedentary for quite some time.
    Any suggestions/motivation?
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-07-24-motivation-encouragement-680938
    For the longer explanation, see the post.
    - Set small intermediate goals & celebrate every one.
    - Take measurements.
    - Take pictures.
    - Weigh yourself regularly.
    - Be flexible; forgive yourself.
    - Celebrate the non-scale victories (NSV's)
    - Don't make any food forbidden.
    - Don't give up!!!!
    This woman lost 124 lb, and describes herself as a "not-stopper".
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1411868-i-ve-been-here-2-5-years-and-have-lost-124-pounds
    "I'm a not-stopper. I'm not a go-getter or a great organizer or planner or more committed than anyone else. I probably didn't even work harder than lots of folks who eventually quit. All I am is a not-stopper."

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    First starting out is very difficult. I know this because I've started 4 times, myself. :wink: I'm in Try #4 of losing the same 25-ish pounds, and 48 hours is my usual "aw, the heck with it" mark where I start asking myself who I'm trying to impress and why I bother, and why I shouldn't just call for a pizza instead of fixing a healthy dinner. But it passes.

I agree with previous posters; hang in there and give it more time. Give it at least two weeks. If you haven't seen your weight start to drop a little, take a closer look at your portions and ensure that you're not eating more than you think you are. Once you start to see results, the motivation is there to keep doing what you're doing and knock a few more pounds off. Also, take your current measurements: hip, waist and neck. Sometimes when I don't see the scale dropping, I do see another half-inch or so less of myself when I get the tape measure out.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Very little hostility directed at you, lots of good advice plainly given.
    And you say you're at 138, want to lose 24 lb, which would be 114... toward the low end of a healthy range.
    And less than 0.5 a lb fluctuation is nothing - drink a glass of water or have a bowel movement & you can see that much change.

One other point - most women aren't used to weighing themselves every day. If you're approaching the start of your period, you're going to gain weight. Yeah, duh, you say. But you don't realize how much until you've been weighing yourself every day, for months. If I can hold steady the week before, it's a big victory. Usually I gain several pounds. But I know it's temporary.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    PATIENCE - it is your friend. Also maybe restricting so much isn't a good idea. No reason to be miserable while losing weight... Keep it up - you'll see results.
  • VladW
    VladW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will hang in there but I certainly won't be using this message board for "encouragement".
    I will have to find that from within.
    It's too early in my journey to get such hostility.

I sometimes wish that MFP had a "funny" button....
  • wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Two days isn't long enough. Don't trust the scale for a while. It'll mess with your head. It messes with mine a lot.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    First of all, you can't gain half a pound of fat by eating 180 calories over your goal. If you're set at 1lb loss/week & 500 calorie deficit, then you're still at a deficit by 320 calories. Even if you ate 180 over maintenance it wouldn't be enough to gain half a pound. I can assure you that you didn't actually "gain weight" so rest easy.

Aside from that, don't get discouraged. 2 days is too soon to start being hard on yourself. Some days it will be easy and some days it will be hard. Accept that as soon as possible. I joined MFP in 2012 but didn't start using it to actually lose weight until January of this year. I don't suggest taking that long to get your act together, but my point is that it just takes time and it takes you being determined. You can't make true change until YOU DECIDE you want to, and I learned that the hard way. Just keep logging and keep trying new things to figure out what works for you. Try some new foods, try new schedules of eating, experiment with drinking more or less water, getting more or less sleep. Everyday is a fresh start. If what you did yesterday didn't work, then try something different today. You'll find your balance in no time!

ETA that, similar to others here, didn't weigh myself when I first started out. I didn't even own a scale until I was like two months in. I focused exclusively on finding foods that I enjoyed and that helped me stay under my calorie goal. After a few months of staying under my goal and noticing some changes in how my clothes fit, I bought a scale & was happy to see I had lost 11lbs & that motivated me to keep doing what I was doing.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Staying positive is more than half of the battle. You will have to find a way to deal with the ups and downs of this process.

Do me a favor. Weigh yourself. Drink a really big glass of water. Weigh yourself again a few minutes later. The scale will probably show a bigger gain than you are worried about now.

It can take a few days for your body to show any loss on the scale. I remember reading somewhere that the body can retain extra water just before a drop in weight. Something about the way the body processes fat loss. That small gain might just be a sign of good things to come!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend that you stop weighing yourself so frequently. Your body weight is going to fluctuate up and down on a daily basis; the only way to know whether you're gaining or losing is to look at the longer-term trend. If you can't handle that emotionally (I personally can't handle it so don't take this as judgmental) then do your weigh-ins weekly *at most*.

Also, there's a little drop-down next to each user's name that will let you IGNORE them. If you want to use MFP for support then I also strongly recommend using that option a lot :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    No I don't think you're a jerk at all. I just got very nervous when I cut my calories so much and saw an increase in weight and then maintained it. When I try other plans I usually see a drop day 1 and 2 and then it seems to go up after a few more days so I quit the plan. This is unusual so I just got really nervous that this will work especially since i am so hungry.

I am used to vegan "all you can eat" plans which is how/why I have gained so much weight.

Give it some time.
    Be diligent, track things so you have data to make wise decisions in about 4 weeks.....
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others telling you not to weigh yourself so frequently. Changes are not immediate!

Try weighing yourself once a week or every other week to get a better sense of which direction you're headed. I mean, if I haven't taken a poop for a day or two and I weighed myself, I would think I'd gained...but drop the deuce and I'm sitting pretty. Catch my drift?

And don't be hard on yourself - starting out is a great time for you to be filled with hope! You will likely experience some ups and downs in your weight as you learn what you can eat, how much you can eat and how your body reacts.

Stick to it - you can do it! I was on a 1200 cal diet earlier this year and it did work for me but I couldn't maintain it beyond a few weeks because I was just too darn hungry after a while. I'm at 1400 cal now which I find much more easy to maintain.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    God my weight can fluctuate up to 3 pounds a day. Definitely do not get discouraged! Keep up the good work and you'll get there.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I just started. I started at 138 (5'2" at 44 yrs) and I had a difficult time sticking to 1200 calories so I had 1380 and I gained .4

I am a vegan and have been probably consuming around 1600-1800 calories to gain 25lbs so I thought after two days a smidge would come off, not gain. Before joining mfp I was trying to stick to raw till 4 but the weight kept fluctuating 1 up and 1 down.

I can't excercise for at least a week or two due to an injury but I have been sedentary for quite some time.

I just don't want to fail at something else.

Not trying to sound rude or be a jerk....

But 2 days and you are discouraged???
    Did you get to your current size in 2 days??

Stay on your plan and give it time.
    oh, don't weigh every day.....
    once a week, track it over time and see which way it is trending

What I was thinking was even more harsh but I won't say it. There really isn't a lot of motivation or help any of us can offer if after two days in you are discouraged. This isn't a sprint. It takes time. Keep reaching those small victories. Over time they will add up to a whole new you that you will be proud of.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Wow, who are you to say that I am "not ready"?

I am ready. I got the app, I've been logging every morsel for the last 2.5 days and I have come to the message board for support so that I continue and not give up as I have done in the past.

This type of feedback is very demoralizing and unhelpful.

When a person really wants something, I mean really want something. They will move almost all obstacles out of the way to get to it. For some it takes longer to really get to the point when we really want something we have to work hard for. Even if we think we are ready for it. Think about it.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I just started. I started at 138 (5'2" at 44 yrs) and I had a difficult time sticking to 1200 calories so I had 1380 and I gained .4

I am a vegan and have been probably consuming around 1600-1800 calories to gain 25lbs so I thought after two days a smidge would come off, not gain. Before joining mfp I was trying to stick to raw till 4 but the weight kept fluctuating 1 up and 1 down.

I just don't want to fail at something else.

The problem is that you don't understand how weight loss works. You're already being unrealistic.

Weight gain and weight loss are based over averages over a period of time - typically a few weeks. So you haven't been at it long enough to develop an average of a deficit.

It takes a 3500 calorie burn maintained to lose one pound. You're estimating a 270-470 deficit per day over two days. That's not enough of a deficit for a one pound loss and it's not been sustained enough to turn into one.

Your weight will also naturally fluctuate up and down based on a million things like hormones, bowel movements, water retention, and other stuff.

You're one the right track. It didn't take a week to gain 25 and it won't take that long to lose it. Keep at it but don't expect to see changes for at least a few weeks.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan too (well, most of the time, occasionally I will have a TV dinner with some regular cheese). LOL, people are always SHOCKED that I'm not some malnourished pale waif. I am living proof that vegans can eat too much and be overweight. But definitely, give it more time. Tuesday morning I woke up and had gained two pounds, but had done well counting calories, etc. the previous day. It will go down. I've lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks...so I'm not worried. :) Just stick with it and you'll be fine. :)