Just starting out, Which One?

Options
What is more important, 10,000 steps on my Fitbit OR 20 minute cardio workout a day?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You can probably do both.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    What is more important, 10,000 steps on my Fitbit OR 20 minute cardio workout a day?

Depends on your goals...

AHA recommends 10K steps a day for everyone.

20 minute cardio workouts are more like a set number of these per week - again depending on your goals.
  • christinelimei
    christinelimei Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Unless you are already very actively on your feet walking around, it can be pretty difficult reaching 10,000 steps a day and I usually have to get it by doing a 30 min cardio workout on the elliptical anyway. Often they work into each other, so you can do both. But if you really want to choose which one is more important, I don't really know. Both are important to me. :)
  • AdamStelmack
    Options
    Try not to ever fall into fad workouts. Cardio exercise is as old as time. Long distance running, rowing, biking--that's all where you want to be. Trying to take 10,000 steps a day is just retarded. Keeping your heart at around 140-150 BPM for an extended period of time is what will provide the best circulatory and respiratory workout. I've been engaged w/ cardio for pushing 8 years now, and I've tried quite a few different programs. Best thing to do honestly, just get up and start running. Set a goal. Don't ever stop. Run what you can; be it .5 mile or 500 feet, slow down your pace or walk if you have to, BUT DO NOT EVER STOP MOVING until you reach your goal. Holler baller.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It depends. What are you more likely to stick with for the long haul? For me, I set a goal of 3.65 million steps for the year. I run a 5k most everyday of the week (about 25-29 minutes). I end up hitting both goals: 10K steps a day and 20+ minutes of cardio exercise.