Gained weight- ate under my calories and worked out

I gained weight even though I ate under my calories and worked out yesterday. Today should I eat under my calorie amount again to lose the weight I gained?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I gained weight even though I ate under my calories and worked out yesterday. Today should I eat under my calorie amount again to lose the weight I gained?

3,500 calories is one pound. That's a lot of calories. It's way more likely you are experiencing normal weight fluctuation.

Higher sodium day = Water weight

Sore muscles = Water weight

Hormones/ TOM = Water weight

Late in the day, you weigh more. Wearing the same amount of clothing? Did you empty your bladder/bowels? Lots of things could be going on.

Look for weight loss (true weight loss....not just water weight) .....in trends. If you can't take the up/down madness of the scale, cut way back on weigh ins. Close to goal? .....Tape measure is your friend. Sometimes you lose inches, but not pounds.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Weight loss is not linear. You should try weighing weekly/bi-weekly OR tracking only weight trends and not day-to-day fluctuations.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    This is not enough information. Have you just started trying to lose weight? If not, how long have you been going?

Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    You mean you gained weight since yesterday? Trends occur over time, not on a day to day basis.
  • Same thing happened to me, but don't worry about it. most likely its water weight.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    People really need to stop weighing themselves every day!!! Once every month is enough in maintenance mode.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 638 Member
    It could be anything, maybe you ate salty food and it's water retention. Maybe you haven't made a deposit in the toilet yet.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    I have to agree with a lot of the posts, and simply add, yeah it nice to see pounds coming off on the scales, but body weight as a whole not mean much, it is size of ya waist.

This is not the exact quote but similar just as a gist.

Most medical professionals say, the more fat that is around the waist the more likely you are to have medical health problems, so to me that means, it is ok to be naturally bigger in some places, just not around the waist.

So if you find your jeans falling off, and the belt running out of holes and needing to make more on it, then you know your doing something awesomely right...

But just remember, it takes time, am sure many of the people in here that have lsot lots will tell you, it wasnt done over nght, it was done over months and years with a hell of a lot of set backs.

So never give up trying.

blessed be
  • vsheetz1
    vsheetz1 Posts: 18 Member
    Weigh once a week. Same day, same time, same clothing. Don't worry about week to week fulgurations up/down, rather watch the trend over several weeks. If you haves overall calorie deficit, you Wii lose weight.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    I weigh myself several times a week. Weight goes up or down a few pounds a day. No biggie. So long as I stay within my five pound window I don't get concerned. Lately I have been weighing at the low end of my average. To me this means I probably should eat a bit more, which I do.

If you get worked up over a pound or two gain over a few days then stop weighing yourself. Once a week, or maybe even once a month weigh ins may be for you.