Scale recommendations?

Options
Hello--I am finally taking the plunge and buying both a kitchen scale to weigh my food, and a scale to weigh myself on. Any brand recommendations? It's my first time buying either. I don't need anything too complicated, and I'm around 195 pounds right now so hopefully I don't need any kind of high-capacity scale (I know at a certain point some of them don't work).

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The EatSmart brand is really good. I got my bathroom scale on Amazon for around $40.

http://www.eatsmartproducts.com/
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's not a brand but it works. Food scales YES, YES, YES. Weight scale no. no. no. Buy a tape measure (take your measurements) and take some photos of yourself now. You'll love the results, four weeks from now.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    OMG is that a fox??
  • madeleineld
    madeleineld Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OMG is that a fox??

My sister's cat! His name is Bruce because of his bat-like ears...
    It's not a brand but it works. Food scales YES, YES, YES. Weight scale no. no. no. Buy a tape measure (take your measurements) and take some photos of yourself now. You'll love the results, four weeks from now.

Good advice--I am definitely measuring and taking progress pics. For me personally, I've learned that it's important to have the scale. I went years without weighing myself, got out of the habit of checking in with my body, and when I finally got weighed at the doctor's this summer found that I'd gained about fifty pounds...I've had so many emotional triggers around weight that I actually am finding it helpful to make myself look at the numbers. It destigmatizes it a little for me now that I have to look at it more. Gaining or losing, I'm trying to accept the fact that weight will go up and down and as long as there is a general downward trend I'm doing well...I'm definitely not relying on the scale for a frequent indicator of my true progress!

Thanks so much for all of the recommendations! Excited to freak out my roommates and start weighing everything before I eat it.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my food scale is awesome. has both grams and oz. allows for tare.
    it is "merch source" brand and i think i paid $10 at either Marshall's or Ross.

my people scale, my husband bought on amazon and paid way too much for it. LOL
    it's Tanita brand. it has a memory and weighs in kg and lbs.

***ETA both are digital
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Scale and love it
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    People Scale: BalanceFrom High Accuracy Premium Digital Bathroom Scale for $25 on Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-Accuracy-Bathroom-Backlight-Technology/dp/B00FX0S4DC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412200904&sr=1-1&keywords=BalanceFrom+High+Accuracy+Premium+Digital+Bathroom+Scale

Have compared it to the scales in both my Primary care doctor's office and Pulmonologist's office and it's absolutely accurate. Big numbers and back lighting. I can weigh myself in the dark! LOL

Food Scale: Epica TM Accupro Digital Kitchen Scale for $15.00
    http://www.amazon.com/Epica-Accupro-Digital-Capacity-Chrome-Electronic/dp/B005OSUIYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1412201158&sr=1-1&keywords=Epica+TM+Accupro+Digital+Kitchen+Scale

Cheap scale but seems to be accurate, can change the units of measurement and has tare feature so you can zero out the container weight.

Free shipping on items sold by Amazon (minimum $35.00 order).
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I use an OXO Good Grips Scale with a Pull-Out Display for weighing food….works just fine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    OMG is that a fox??

My sister's cat! His name is Bruce because of his bat-like ears...

Haha, now I see it! What I thought was the snout, is one of his ears :laugh: Cute :love:
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My bathroom scale is by Ozeri, it provides me an ESTIMATE of Body Fat %, water%, and Muscle%, as well as bone weight. I know the method of estamating those %'s is not perfect, but by weighing daily I can see when I'm holding on to water, when I make muscle gains, and most importantly when I lose actual fat. Seeing those numbers helps keep me on track and motivated, and keeps me from freaking out of mysterious weight gain or a stall.

As far as kitchen scales, make sure you get one that weighs in both grams and ounces and a tare funstion. It will help out a lot when you are measuring multiple foods that are weighed in different ways.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Just came across a nice food scale on Amazon with a 50% off coupon. Sale price 12.50 and free super-saver shipping on orders over $35.

Zenith Digital Kitchen Scale by Ozeri, in Refined Stainless Steel with Fingerprint Resistant Coating

Great reviews, tare function, large high-contrast blue backlit LCD screen that displays weights in lb, oz, g, fl.oz., and ml

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I75Q2S/ref=gb1h_rlm_c-5_4482_aca1ad92?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER