Has anyone tried xenical before?

Options
i really need to lose weight. After 5 kids and lots of weight to lose. I had two kids natural and 3 by c-section. I have dropped down to
205 about two weeks ago and our family got busy with church and we been living off fast food because the time we get home we would just go straight to bed.

So long story short. i went back up to 210 :-(

i really need/want to lose weight.

Has anyone ever used xenical before? if so what were you results?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There are no shortcuts to weight loss. No magic pill, or diet, or trick. Diet pills only reduce your appetite, they do not teach you proper portion control and healthy eating habits. What do you think will happen when you stop taking them after losing weight? Everyone thinks they can get away with it and keep the weight off after diet pills, but if you don't know how to eat properly, you'll gain it all back. Every diet pill-er does. Pill companies bank on this, that's how they stay in business and make money hand over fist.

Sorry, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear. But the truth sucks, sometimes.

Log your food accurately and honestly and consistently, stick to a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. Scientifically you'll have to. Unless your body magically defies the laws of nature and physics, in which case scientists will want to lock you in a glass case and study you. :wink:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    A suggestion toward the fast food problem:

Take one day off a week, like a Saturday, and pre-prepare meals to keep in the freezer or Tupperwares in the fridge. Even if you are out all day, you can take sandwiches and thermoses of soup along with you for yourself. It takes extra effort in this day and age of constant fast food temptations and easy food fixes, but if you're truly committed, you can find ways around them. Nobody said weight loss and being fit was easy! Good luck. If you can raise 5 kids without strangling them, you can certainly do this! :flowerforyou:
  • cacosta0406
    Options
    I'm going to take your advice and prepare meals. Im sure i can take a day off from my daily duties to prepare my meals. I'm quite busy but i know i can do it :-)

I home school all of my five kids so not much time in my day, but i will make sure i do this.. I'm sure it will help a lot.

Thanks for your advice and by the way it looks those pills are pretty pricey as well. I have never logged my food intake before but i think I'm going to start doing it. I'm truly committed to losing this weight i have put on.

We even have a home gym so I have no excuses not to lose the weight the right way.

Thanks again :-)
  • prncssjnn
    prncssjnn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree, raising kids without strangling them is so much harder than losing weight :) Lol! Thanks for the laugh. I have 3 that are still alive and kicking (and screaming) and I'm managing to shed the pounds in the meantime.
  • prncssjnn
    Options
    I also agree that there is no short cut. I've tried everything you can for weight loss and what I have realized is that I never really wanted to put in the work. I finally started counting calories honestly and working out a little and its working. Down almost 44 lbs in 3 months!
  • cacosta0406
    Options
    @prncssjnn-- WOW.. congrats on the weight-loss. Thats amazing.

your guys are right there is no such thing as a magic pill and being busy all the time shouldn't be an excuse for me. i'm sure i can get up a littler earlier than usual to exercise. I have no excuses not to do it.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of workouts do you do?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take your advice and prepare meals. Im sure i can take a day off from my daily duties to prepare my meals. I'm quite busy but i know i can do it :-)

I home school all of my five kids so not much time in my day, but i will make sure i do this.. I'm sure it will help a lot.

Thanks for your advice and by the way it looks those pills are pretty pricey as well. I have never logged my food intake before but i think I'm going to start doing it. I'm truly committed to losing this weight i have put on.

We even have a home gym so I have no excuses not to lose the weight the right way.

Wait a minute. If a normal part of your "daily duties" hasn't included cooking meals, what are your kids eating?
  • prncssjnn
    Options
    I honestly have no routine. I started in the beginning just walking more. 10 minutes a day, seriously that small of a change. Now I walk to the store, my kids to school, etc etc. We play sports in the backyard. Anything to up my activity level. Then I found some old dumb bells and a barbell in the garage and started doing squats, curls, triceps, basically any exercise I could with them! I love strength training, I would say find something you love and just run with it. I actually used a gazelle glider for cardio when I first started, and felt so dumb but I had fun on it and it worked for me. Just upgraded to an elliptical I can hardly do 5 minutes on but I know I'll get there if I keep going ;)
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just in case you are still tempted. I tried Xenical years ago. I was warned not to eat fat while on it so was very careful not to. I was not warned that every single thing that I ate would go right through me in liquid form. After a couple of weeks on it i was semi incontinent so stopped taking it. Thankfully i recovered back to normal but have heard of people being left with longer term issues. It also causes seriously foul smelling gas that is very noticeable. Really not worth risking any of that.
  • cacosta0406
    Options
    @SherryTeach i do cook for my kids ;-) but im pretty busy well they eat i am preparing for their next school lesson, laundry, cleaning up the house, etc....

I usually dont have time to sit down to eat because it always something thats has to be done and i forget to eat.

so by the time my husband gets home from work we have to go to church because we are helping out with church clean since the flood.

we should be done soon ;-)
  • cacosta0406
    Options
    @persistentsou i dont think i'm interested in it anymore. But thank you for your response. I was just reading up on it and it seems horrible..I dont think my husband would appreciate the bad gas problem
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading this before you start taking xenical. http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/orlistat-oral-route/description/drg-20065184

The warnings against this and pregnancy or breastfeeding are pretty strong.

Since the underlying premise of this drug is to prevent digestions of dietary fats, this drug runs somewhat counter to recent findings about fats and obesity, etc. Fats have been found not to be the problem but rather too many carbohydrates is more closely related to obesity.

In addition, when you read the warnings about how to take this product from the mayoclinic, you find you should skip a dose if a meal either has no fat and you will experience gastric side effects if your overall diet is more than 30% fat. You also need to take a multivitamin and time that in accordance with when you are eating or taking the drug.

Orlistat does nothing to stop your processing of carbs or protein so you could still get fat while running to the bathroom.

Ugh.

Sounds like it might just be easier and more effective, and cheaper, and probably more healthy, to just eat a well-balanced diet and keep track of calories.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options

My friend was telling me, her doc put her on xenical, and it was like living in the toilet, and was worse than dieting.

Best thing to do, as your making meals for the family, just put extra on, things you would like on sammages.

Thermos also do big flasks that can keep stuff warm for 18+ hours, so can do a nice home made soup and get some toast and char it then make soup n croutons as well as ya sammages.

Or baking, am sure the kids would love some low sugar low fat cakes, etc.

You can do it :)
  • langleygurl
    langleygurl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My only advise is:

One foot in front of the other.
    Don't run at it like it all has to be done today. I have started my weight-loss journey this time with just proper eating. Recording the truth about what was going in my mouth was the greatest eye opener I have ever encountered. I do eat healthy but my quantity was all over the place. Then I would get frustrated and because I can't loose any weight anyway so I would be okay with fast food now and then. And so my circle went! Put a pen in your hand....do you know that donut is 400 calories? That,s a whole meal worth of healthy food!!! (self talk to me) As soon as I started to journal on mfp I started loosing weight. 20 pounds in 9 weeks. I have started walking now to because I'm motivated now. Tomorrow I go to the gym for a one time meet with a personal trainer!
    You didn't gain it in a day be kind to yourself. And good luck!!!