I started bulking and I can feel the fat...

I don't know what to say, I feel a lot stronger, I've been lifting two weeks now, but I can feel my stomach is getting flabbier and it's making me a little alarmed, is it normal? Will things transition and some of that move to more muscle and my physique will recompose itself over time? The scales has gone up maybe a lb? Not as much as I feel like it has. I'm eating just under 3k cals a day and stuffing as much protein in as I can, I'm going over my fats often though when aiming for 50/30/20 split on carbs, protein and fats.

Should I cut back to say 2,700 cals? Trying to maintain a high level of protein? Or should I stick with it?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I really want to succeed at this and I will take any and all good advice on board. Please take a look at my diary if you like, most days have been logged apart from today.

I'm just looking for some advice on what to do, this is all new to me. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Track you progress via scale weight and don't panic. If you're gaining any faster than 1/2 lb per week for a few weeks, then scale back cals a little. Don't let your mind play tricks on you
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I used to be massively heavier than I am now, adding weight back is going to be a massive psychological barrier for me. The thought of ending back where I started is petrifying.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I was going to suggest this too :flowerforyou:

OP, any objective measuring tools you can use right now are going to help. Bulking is a mind-*kitten*, and the scale can do some strange things right in the beginning. (Like jump 2-4 pounds right away, which is water and glycogen, not fat, but it sucks seeing it do that!). The measuring tape is your friend -- it doesn't lie. There's no way you gained an appreciable amount of fat in 2 weeks.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Track your progress. I am currently doing a reverse diet out of contest prep for figure. Track your weight and see how your body is responding, if no weight gain add more. You also have to find what macronutrient ratio is good for your body type. I do well with more carbs so that is currently slowly increasing. It isa mental challenge once you have achieved a low body fat% and great physique. But if you want to grow or become stronger you have to let it go back up a bit. Try other methods measurements, photos other than the scale.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Perhaps, set your calories so you're only gaining 1/2 pound or less a week. Other than that, worry less about the weight on your body and more about the weight you're lifting. Keep your mind focused on getting stronger and give yourself time for your focus to shift onto that.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    The article was fantastically relevant to me, so points to you guys. I've decided to aim for 1/2 a pound per week rather a full pound which sets me at 2700ish cals. Going to try and get more protein in and cut the fat and sugar down a little.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    You will absolutely gain fat on a bulk. On average, half the weight you gain will be fat. I put about an inch on my waist for every 5-7 lbs. I gain. It's a mind game. You have to measure your success by strength gains and measurements of the body parts you actually want to grow. You've lost the weight before, so take comfort that you can do it again when it's time to cut.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I used to be massively heavier than I am now, adding weight back is going to be a massive psychological barrier for me. The thought of ending back where I started is petrifying.

Sup man, I've been through this and legit just started cutting again today. totally know what your going through it's not easy at first for sure.

Set yourself up with goals, IE a 10lb weight gain goal and then see how you feel ... and go from there. If your not comfortable at the 10lbs weight gain then you can easily drop it back off in 6 weeks or so.

Keep it controlled and monitor your **** daily... I lost 172lbs...bulked back 50lbs ... lost 30 lbs...bulked back 20lbs and now I am going to start cutting again.

From my experience I would recommend keeping to your goals and still tracking everything my fault (50lbs gained) was 8 weeks of not tracking, just doing whatever... I did get allot stronger but I didn't like my body at that point.

Anyways message me if you want into my 3rd year of BB still very much a beginner but I know what your going through around all the psychological struggles
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    It took me months to finally comes to terms that its just fat. I will lose it again. I've lost close to 200 lbs and I was terrified to gain weight again to put on muscle. Now I am in my 4th week and I've gained alot of strength in the gym. It actually made me feel awesome lol I was killing the weights. You just got to come to terms that you can loose the weight again. In the long run your gonna be happy you did bulk and see all your gains when you lean out. =D
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    If you've never bulked before. 1 lb / week for the first three months is fine. Newbie gains are huge. I wouldn't go under a daily 500 calorie surplus. You already know how to cut the fat. It'll be even easier after you add some muscle.
  • Jschrolms
    Jschrolms Posts: 40 Member
    If your Fat is down to 20%, i would say you need to look at what carbs you are having that make up your 50%
    if youre eating high GI carbs throughout the day when you are not exercising, that could be why you are putting on more fat than you would like.
    Try and only eat high GI carbs in the morning or straight after a workout, all other times eat low GI carbs, and yeah cut the sugar to as close to Zero as you can.

I just had a look at your food diary and you are having way to much sugar and you should cut out the high GI carbs at lunch. After you are taking in all of that, all of the un used energy which would be alot would then go to your fat stores.
  • DrummerX
    DrummerX Posts: 7 Member
    With a bulk comes fat. I'm exactly the same, seeing fat come back sucks but it can be kept down with cardio, particularly in the mornings and just keep track of what kind of foods you're eating.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I am doing my first bulk as well....and it is a mind f**k....I am having to suck it up myself and trust the process....I am doing what others have suggested. Gradual calorie increases, trying to get to where I am ~1lb a week.....
    Trying to eat as many calories as I need sucks though.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    I did not know this one! It's totally me last year though. Took me 3 months to actually commit!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Jschrolms wrote: »
    If your Fat is down to 20%, i would say you need to look at what carbs you are having that make up your 50%
    if youre eating high GI carbs throughout the day when you are not exercising, that could be why you are putting on more fat than you would like.
    Try and only eat high GI carbs in the morning or straight after a workout, all other times eat low GI carbs, and yeah cut the sugar to as close to Zero as you can.

I just had a look at your food diary and you are having way to much sugar and you should cut out the high GI carbs at lunch. After you are taking in all of that, all of the un used energy which would be alot would then go to your fat stores.

Why?
  • Tedebearduff

Why?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+should+you+stay+away+from+high+GI+carbs?

• Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member

Why?

^^^This. Why does it matter when you consume high GI carbs?
  • Tedebearduff

Why?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+does+it+matter+when+you+consume+high+GI+carb?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

Why?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+does+it+matter+when+you+consume+high+GI+carb?

Except that, if you make a claim it's your responsibility to support it. Not direct others to Google for their own research purposes.

In any event, it was a tongue in cheek response.