Kicking the soda habit

bjshields
bjshields Posts: 677 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Houston, we have a problem. It seems that diet soda has become a new food group in our household, and it won't go away. My husband is diabetic and is NOT working any kind of program; he says he feels soda is a "treat" for him, but I feel it's a killer of good health and weight loss, not to mention our kids are now drinking diet soda daily!

I had all but given up soda, but it's in front of my face all the time, I totally enjoy it, and my willpower can only go so far. Anybody else here dealt with that? Should I just try to do it in spite of him? It almost feels like giving up alcohol or drugs when somebody is using in front of you; not to put too fine a point on it!:blushing:

Replies

• yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    I really try to watch what I eat and I work out about 5-6x a week. My fiancee is the total opposite. LOL. I used to drink a 2 liter of regular coke a day! I started getting systs in my breast and I used to have UTI's constantly from being dehydrated. I then switched to diet coke. It went from about 2-3 day to 1 a day. I recently (3 days ago) gave it up along with coffee and feel great.
    If you read some of the medical concerns with diet sodas and the way it "plugs" your system, you won't want to drink it! I dfind that Crystal Light helps and adding fruits to my water does, also. I hope this helps.
  • I've read all these horror stories about diet soda and also read stories that say it's not so bad for you. If you feel like it's a problem for your family though and you'd rather not have it around the house, totally put your foot down about it. Try switching to fizzy mineral water, it helps when you need those bubbles!
  • It was definately a HUGE problem in my house... My fiance & I were drinking 2-3 2L bottles a week with just the 2 of us.... It was my coping mechanism to give up my biggest weakness~ SWEET TEA!! Anyways when I started MFP I new something had to change so after talking with my fiance we made a decision I was not buying anymore... I still had a few bottles left in my pantry but it has lasted several weeks... We drink a glass rarely but to substitute it I started making Crystal Light.... We both love it & it's great with dinner... Otherwise we both drink water throughout the day except for my cup of Trop50 OJ or Pineapple Mango....LOL It's tough at first to give up but you will feel so much better after you do.... Just try it but take baby steps & you will succeed.... :)
This discussion has been closed.