I need help with this dilemma

Options
Ok, so tomorrow (friday) is my weigh in day. I am all primed and ready to work out at 6am. Last week I was the same way UNTIL I stepped on the scale. Then I saw that I gained half a pound and said "F this. I'm going back to bed." I do NOT want to do this again and am considering either 1. weighing myself after I work out or 2. changing my weigh in day to Sunday, which is also my rest day. What should I do? I hate getting discouraged and then giving up and going back to bed. I do NOT want to do this, but unfortunately I always do. WWYD? Thanks!

Replies

• starlitesue
    Options
    I vote change your weigh in day to Sunday, that way you don't spend your whole work out stressing about the scale.

Also don't forget that although weight loss is wonderful, getting healthy is even better! Every time you work out, or make a good food choice you are getting healthier. Don't worry so much about the scale (easier said than done I know....).

Good Luck!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Just because I was curious, I did a series of days where I weighed myself right before my workout and then again right after. On all of the days I did this I weighed .6 to 1.4 pounds less than I did before the workout.

So, if you really want to see a loss, you could weigh yourself right after, but it's likely just weight you've lost through sweat during the workout and will probably put it back on again pretty quickly. (I never did continue the experiment to that point)

But I would recommend weighing yourself before so you get a true snapshot of where you are, without any "false" losses. If you see a gain or it's stayed steady, instead of seeing it as a negative, use it as motivation to go work even harder this time.

I've seen minimal losses on the scale since I started working out, only 12 lbs in four months compared to the 30 lbs in five months I saw prior to working out. But I dropped two pants sizes with the 30 lbs and three more pants sizes with the 12 lbs. So remember to take measurements, because just because you aren't seeing the numbers on the scale doesn't mean you are having effective workouts. :)
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would probably weigh myself after working out, depending on how much water I drank. :drinker: Try not to get discouraged.
  • voluptuem
    Options
    Hang in there and don't obsess about weight. Stick to your calorie intake goals and remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
    Drinking a 500ml bottle of water can add up to 3 lbs. in weight. go to your workout and enjoy the burn - how you feel after a workout is, IMO, more important than being a slave to the dreaded scale :smile:
    We're all here to encourage and support each other and I hope that this message gives you the encouragement to keep going.
    Voluptuem
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Really, the weigh day doesn't make much difference other that how it matches your lifestyle. Some people weight themselves on Friday because they know they might "let loose" over the weekend. Personally, I weigh myself on Mondays which forces me to eat somewhat correctly on the weekends. Monday is the day that "counts", but I do weigh myself every day.

Personally, I tend to weigh more on my rest day and weigh the least the day after my cardio day.

Pick a day and stick with it--one that best matches your lifestyle.

God Bless!

Shawn
  • ProdigalSpawn
    Options
    Don't give up! Getting back in bed doesn't help anything. I know we all want to see that scale hand moving towards our goal but just because you're not losing weight doesn't mean you're not losing inches. If you let numbers dictate your success you'll only be let down. Take into consideration how you feel, how much energy you have, the way your skin feels! I have watched as the scale moved up even though I'd been dieting right and excercising and it was horrible! But the next week I lost even more weight. They say you can fluctuate 2lbs or so between morning and evening. So just keep going! Don't crawl back into bed and get discouraged! We're all behind you!
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    it's okay. Don't worry so much about what the scale says, it's how you feel. If you feel good, I mean if you feel GREAT, don't worry about what the scale says. Don't weigh in tomorrow, do what you do during the week and weigh in next Friday, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Friend me and let me know what you do.
  • jongwoons
    Options
    Just change your weight day, I'm changing mine to every Saturday because every time I weighed myself after a workout I went up 2 lbs. When I weighed myself in the mornings I would be a pound less.
    Also, try to go more by measurements and how your clothes are fitting rather than the scale. Weight is just a number, what really counts is how you look and whether you like it or not :)
    I've said this before but I've only lost like 10lbs or less and already my clothes are fitting more comfortably. That is enough to motivate me to keep going ^^
  • jcolbrook
    Options
    Easier said than done. I know, I know - I'm right there with you! But I'm slowly getting the message from my trainer, Eric, that it's not about the weight! It's about YOU! Do you need to know how much you weigh to feel good about the healthy things you are doing for yourself? The key words in your post to me were that you're working out. That must feel great! If you continue working out then you will lose weight! And your self esteem will get better and you won't even think about posting a picture that says "I'm A Moron"! You are doing great just by posting on the message board! So maybe don't weigh yourself until it feels right. And then let that decision go and be happy with your numbers next week. If you don't think you can do that for a week then decide ahead of time that you won't let the number define how you feel about yourself or change your motivation. YOU ARE WORTH IT!

By the way, I've been working out since October and I haven't lost a pound. But I feel good when I shut down that treadmill with the sweat pouring down my face and sweeping my wet bangs off my face! My body is getting stronger and I have better endurance. And the way I eat is changing automatically. Now that's progress!