SPINACH!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in with the others who've said it: raw spinach over lettuce for salads all the way! My wife and I eat pounds of raw spinach for lunches every week.

Other side bonus: the pre-washed, organic baby spinach we buy comes in a handy, recyclable plastic box that makes keeping it in the fridge easy!

There you go same here. Just haven't been able to eat it cooked.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Omg I love that *kitten*. I put it in EVERYTHING. I'll eat like a 4 cup spinach Caesar salad. My Vit A counts are always at like 200% of my daily needs, lol, but it's just so delicious!! And has like NO calories! 0_o
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options
    I'll chime in with the others who've said it: raw spinach over lettuce for salads all the way! My wife and I eat pounds of raw spinach for lunches every week.

Other side bonus: the pre-washed, organic baby spinach we buy comes in a handy, recyclable plastic box that makes keeping it in the fridge easy!

That's the spinach I buy too! I just grab it handfuls of a time and shove it into my 2 or 4 cup measuring cup then pop the lid back on it, lol.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I add kale, raw red cabbage, and spinach to a lot of things like soups, salads, and sandwiches. Although I like spinach, I prefer the roughness of kale over spinach, though.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Spinach is awesome. Protein + Fiber + Low calorie + low carb + filling. The perfect food. :)
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Man, I love spinach. I put it in wraps, tacos, sandwiches, salads, green smoothies. YUM!
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Buy it when it is on sale and freeze it yourself! If it is pre washed I throw bag in freezer. Once frozen you can squish it to break it up... I put sone in my smoothie every day.. You can take out the amount you need for your recipes. I just made spaghetti squash and spinach with spaghetti sauce au gratin (with cheese on top) to dinner. Yum!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    if i were forced to eat spinach, i would vomit. LOL
    i'm glad it works for so many people, but i cannot eat it. i have tried it every way possible and i will gag each and every time. once my husband put it in a shake for me, and i didnt know. i drank it and started gagging. i said, "what's in this?"
    it's not even the taste. i don't know what it is. i wish i loved it. :ohwell:
  • jenmar17
    jenmar17 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I love spinach! I eat an average of 5 oz a day, in salads and in smoothies.

However, I had a bad experience with spinach last Friday. I ate a huge spinach salad for lunch and then later I made a green smoothie myself (I usually buy them). Either I got a bad batch of spinach or I put way too much spinach into the smoothie, but my stomach couldn't handle it. I was throwing up green for hours.

Since then I have not been able to look at spinach. Just the smell of it makes me want to vomit. I went into a Whole Foods the other day and the produce smell made my stomach turn. I think I just needed to take a break from it for a few days to get it out of my system.

Starting today I'm easing back into spinach eating though; I just had a small salad. By the end of the week I'll probably be back to eating it like normal.

Besides that bad experience though, love me some spinach!
  • HealthySideofLife
    HealthySideofLife Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love spinach. I could seriously sure a while bag of it and eat it. I add it to my omelettes, and have it as a side for dinner all the time. I'll use it as a lettuce substitution for sandwiches, too. It's just my favorite haha.
  • monerling7
    Options
    YAH Spinach is awesome, I buy one huge tub a week and make my self eat the whole thing. its really helping me
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this post I'm making a chicken, mushroom & SPINACH dish with a white wine sauce. I can't wait to cook dinner. :tongue:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Can you re-freeze spinach?? I live by myself and would like to try frozen spinach in eggs, was thinking of thawing out a brick of spinach, cutting it into individual portions, and then refreezing to make it easier to add to eggs. Has anyone done this?

FWIW, Whole Foods sells frozen spinach in a bag rather than frozen solid in a block--you can pull out as little or as much as you need. Didn't really pay attention to the price as the convenience is worth it to me.
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Spinach is great! I eat about 2-3 cups of it raw per day. I munch on it like some people would munch on chips or crackers. Also, if you're keto or low-carb, creamed spinach is fabulous!

Here's a link to a creamed spinach recipe from Caveman Keto:

http://cavemanketo.com/creamy-cheesy-spinach/
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Whir it in the food processor with eggs, salt and pepper, and parmesan and bake for a spinach souffle.
    IMG_0093_zps88e4d942.jpg

Mix with lots of grated cheese and an egg to hold it together and make an ersatz pizza.
    spinachcrustpizza1_zps6e69ce49.jpg

Whir it with an egg and use it to make a moister meatloaf or turkey meat balls.

Cream it and make it luxurious.

Julienne and throw it in with the pasta as you sauce it.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    SO I figured out a new fantastic meal addiiton. At only 7 calories per cup: IT IS SPINACH.
    I like spinach a lot. Sometimes I cook it but usually not.
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options
    Who knew so many people had this much love for spinach of all things??
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Yay spinach! We grow organic spinach in our garden and we will literally just pick leaves off and munch on them while we are out there gardening.