What weightlifting routine should I do?

Hi everyone I am going to start weightlifting soon. I just don't know what routine I should do.
I really hate my bodytype. I am the inverted triangle shape/apple shape, so I have big shoulders, a big stomach, with small hips and a flat butt. My shape looks bad. :( I know that losing weight will help me even out my shape, but I have seen weightlifting results and I know that's something I want to do.

I want to be happy with my body for once in my life! I want to even out my shape and make my legs, hips, and booty as big as possible, while making my arms, stomach, and shoulders as small as possible. I know you can't gain muscle while losing weight, so I'm asking for recommendations on what to do with a weightlifting program. What program would help me get the results I want? Thanks everyone.

Replies

• Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Whatever you do, make sure it is something you enjoy. I tried lifting heavy, exercise DVDs, you name it. I didn't enjoy it and couldn't stick with it so it never "worked". Right now I'm doing bodyweight training /calisthenics and I think I've finally found what works for me. I'd suggest you try a bit of everything and decide from there what will work. As far as body recomp (changing your shape) I am not very knowledgeable about it yet. I hope someone else can answer that for you.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    what sort of equipment you got access too?

there isnt' a faster path to strength than something like Starting Strength
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    I'd give Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 a shot. You are working legs every workout day, and rotating different upper body workouts between 2 days. Should give your legs a chance to play catchup for a bit.
  • jazzy_45
    jazzy_45 Posts: 101 Member
    what sort of equipment you got access too?

there isnt' a faster path to strength than something like Starting Strength

I am a member of 24 hour fitness so I have access to pretty much everything.
  • jazzy_45
    Whatever you do, make sure it is something you enjoy. I tried lifting heavy, exercise DVDs, you name it. I didn't enjoy it and couldn't stick with it so it never "worked". Right now I'm doing bodyweight training /calisthenics and I think I've finally found what works for me. I'd suggest you try a bit of everything and decide from there what will work. As far as body recomp (changing your shape) I am not very knowledgeable about it yet. I hope someone else can answer that for you.

Thank you, yeah I tried workout DVDs and didn't like them at all.
  • jazzy_45
    I'd give Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 a shot. You are working legs every workout day, and rotating different upper body workouts between 2 days. Should give your legs a chance to play catchup for a bit.

You think so? I hope so lol! Thanks for the advice!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Yeah, SL or SS will get you started. Another one people bandy about here online is new rules of weightlifting for women.

Didn't realize there were rules, but yeah.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    SL 5x5 is really straightforward, the website has examples of how to do all of the exercises, and there is an app for iPhone and Android phones that helps track your workouts and progress. The guy who owns the website does try to get you to buy plans for accessory workouts and stretching and warmups and how many plates to put on the bar, etc., but you don't need those :) It is a cheap and simple place to start, and then you can add in accessories/cardio as you wish.