Off Topic- Migraines

Anyone suffer from chronic migraines? I've had them for the past 10 years or so and they have gotten worse over the last 3 years. I see a neurologist and take a few different daily meds...

Anything work for you?

Acupuncture?
Chiropractor?
Vitamins?

TIA!

Replies

• cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    I also have migraines. Mine are triggered by low and high pressure changes. I have used Imitrex in the past and it does work but my dr suggested taking 2 tylenol with the imitrex to help give it a "boost". The new meds have tylenol built in them. I have also found a product called "Smooth Gator" www.smoothgator.com. It is all natural oils and works great for me. My dr also suggested taking Magnesium for preventing migraines and since I have started them, my migraines are fewer and fewer. Of course, we are going into winter with fewer high/low pressure swings. Good luck finding something that works.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't get migraines but my wife of 31 years does. So does my son, who is about your age. It's been an ongoing battle for my wife. The latest is exhaustive testing for allergies.

I wish I had more to offer.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    bump
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Ive had them for the last 30+ years. O have fewer these days becayse I watch my blood sugra levels and try to avoid triggers which make it more likely.

Which sort do you have?
    How fequently?
    How long do they last?
    Do you know your triggers?
    Which meds are you takin? betablockers?

Immitrex/immigran has a pretty high success rate but is quite expensive. You can get it without prescription here in the UK and I think its now out of patent so there should be generic alternatives.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    I do!! I used to take imitrex but my doctor switched me to Maxalt and it has worked better. I have also been taking daily magnesium which was recommended by two medical friends and is subsequently starting to be shown in the medical literature to be helpful.

Also there is an iPhone app called iHeadache which helps you to track your own risk factors. It has helped me to learn how to avoid getting them. I highly recommend it- it has really helped me a lot.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    My husband's neurologist had his vitamin D level tested and found that he was low in vitamin D. Apparently, according to this neurologist, there is new evidence to suggest that low vitamin D can cause migraines. So now my husband takes vitamin D every day. However he had to take mega high doses of it for a few weeks at first to get his level up.

I've also heard that low vitamin D can cause other health issues.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    I have suffered from migraines since I was in the 4th grade. It is a lovely trait that runs in the family. They were so bad at one point it was debilitating - my neurologist put me on Topamax - I've taken it for 4 or 5 years now and have had such great success with it. I will have a break through migraine once in a great, great while, but nothing like before.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    My husband's neurologist had his vitamin D level tested and found that he was low in vitamin D. Apparently, according to this neurologist, there is new evidence to suggest that low vitamin D can cause migraines. So now my husband takes vitamin D every day. However he had to take mega high doses of it for a few weeks at first to get his level up.

I've also heard that low vitamin D can cause other health issues.

Interesting - my Vitamin D levels were very low - I had to take really high doses as well and take a daily Vitamin D now to maintain the levels.
  • jancie84
    jancie84 Posts: 83 Member
    My neurologist thinks they are related to my menstrual cycle...so I take a OCP (without taking placebo)....beta-blocker and SSRI. I take a multivitamin and magnesium. I take Zomig if I get a migraine.

I keep a diary provided by my doctor and mark days with 1-3 X depending on severity. I have a headache 5-6 days of the week....with one or two being really bad.

It's very frustrating and limiting....no one wants to have a headache! I see my doctor again in a week or so....hoping for some more relief!
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    There are many causes of migraines. I used to get migraines that sent me blind. Mine was a chronic infection of one sinus cavity. In those days the treatment was to flush out the cavity - not a pleasant procedure but it worked. These days a short course of antibiotics does the trick.

Just one possible cause.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Mine are food related. Sorry I'm not any help.
  • jillyrobb
    jillyrobb Posts: 36 Member
    Had them since I was about 13, but because they didn't fit the classic migraine pattern or symptoms, I was told they were sinus headaches until about 10 years ago. I've worked with my neurologist to find a combination of stuff that works with no side effects for me: 300mg gabapentin, 300 mg CoQ10, and 200-400mg magnesium. I'm now down from an average of 3-4 headache days/week to 1 a month or fewer.

I found that just the gabapentin worked fairly well, but adding the CoQ10 got me a little farther, and the magnesium was the last piece of the puzzle. I tried eliminating the CoQ10 after the magnesium seemed to help, but it was quickly evident that I needed both. If I start to feel like they're ramping up--usually due to sinuses or weather--I bump up the magnesium for a week or two.

My neurologist had me cut out all meds and keep a headache diary for a few months, which helped me see that working looking down triggers the really nasty ones--something about the pressure on the back of my neck and upper spine just sets them off. Wish I'd realized that before I suffered through years of constant headaches in college and grad school! Just putting the book on a bookstand or lying down and propping it on my knees, instead of flat on the desk, makes a huge difference.

Now, it's mainly just atmospheric changes or lack of sleep that triggers them, and either Relpax or Cambia usually heads those off before they hang around for days. I find that because it works best on an empty stomach, Cambia is great for those that wake me up before dawn, when a weather front is coming in.

I can't tell you how much better life is, now that I have a handle on this. Good luck!
  • Hi! I have them too. Mine are triggered by hormones and sleep issues. After coming off of birth control and adding Amitriptyline they have gone from one every week to none in the last 6 weeks. I have a high medication sensitivity and most of the triptans caused burning and pain in my neck. I have noticed that since I've started eating better I have fewer headaches.
  • CourtLloyd
    CourtLloyd Posts: 128 Member
    I USED to get migraines at least 8-10 times a month. I've tried many different kinds of medicine. I could never really find any triggers either, but do you know what I just learned in the past 6 months?? My diet and exercise was crap!

A few years ago I was working out and "eating healthy", but I wasn't really eating clean. I was still getting the same amount of migraines. Since April, I'm no longer taking any medicine to prevent them and I've only needed to take around 3 Imitrex since April! I really do think eating clean (no processed junk) and working out multiple times a week is what saved me! I've noticed if I have sugar (even the tiny piece of cake) there is a good chance I'll have a migraine the next day.

So, my advice to you would be to cut out the processed food, drink only water, and exercise 4-6 times a week. Try it for three months...what do you have to lose?! --well, that's an easy answer...weight and migraines! :0)
  • rhoupsilon
    rhoupsilon Posts: 1 Member
    I have chronic daily migraines, and I don’t know the triggers (the only thing we’ve found as a possible trigger is changes in barometric pressure). I’ve been on many prophylactics and get Botox, but the acupuncture was recently able to get me out of a bad spell. A chiropractor didn’t help me at all, and neither did PT - however, I have found that lying for extended periods of time with a rolled-up towel beneath my occipital protuberance seems to relieve some of the tension related to my migraines. Have you tried elimination diets (gluten, dairy, peanut butter, etc.)?
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    I have chronic migraines, but they've been getting less frequent lately. My doctor took me off my birth control pills and that helped a lot, turns out birth control pills can cause them. I still get frequent headaches, like 4 times a week, and those can turn into migraines if I'm not careful. My triggers are bright light, loud noise, stress, strong smells (perfume, cleaner), motion sickness, eye strain, dehydration, and lack of sleep. My doctor just put me on Nortriptyline to see if that helps.
    I go to the ER whenever they get really bad. An IV of saline usually makes me feel somewhat better before they even give me any drugs so I think my main trigger is dehydration... which I know I have an issue with because I forget to drink. =/

I tried getting a professional massage once when I had one, from my friend that works at a spa, but within two hours it had come back. =/
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Myself, my son and one of my daughters all get migraines when we eat gluten. We had no idea that cutting gluten would result in the migraines going away but it was a really, really nice surprise. I don't know if you've ever considered a food intolerance but it might be worth a look.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    I have had menstrual migraines since 12 (first treated with imitrex then maxalt odt when I outgrew the imitrex). I have food triggers (nitrites/nitrates, cheese, red wine, salted potato chips) that I need to avoid. I also tend to avoid caffeine and sleeping in, which also trigger headaches.

Over the past year, I have had chronic dizziness now diagnosed with migraine associated vertigo with persistent aura. There is no headache, but crippling dizziness, right hearing loss, intermittent right facial pains, and right nose bleeds. FUN.

For this they have tried many medications, and so far the combination of verapamil 360 ER, depakote 1000 mg ER, and supplements (mag, coq10, riboflavin, b6b12, and ginger capsules for nausea) have helped some.

I know they (migraine clinic) tout a consistent schedule, regular amounts of sleep and wake up times even on your days off, caffeine use in equal amounts and identical times if you drink it and no more than 2 standard cups (such a tiny amount). Some recommend butterbur extract and fishoil as well. They also frown on shift work (I am/was nights) and apparently change of shift (am to mids to nights to am again). My migraine dr also told me there is a link in fluctuating bg levels and migraine. Her recommendation was to snack or eat little meals every 3 hours, instead of 1 meal in a 12 hour shift.

Personally, I can add the bright overhead lights and busy shifts where I barely drink enough water do give me a headache. That was easily solved with bringing my nalgene bottle into work.

Good luck with your migraines! :)
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    I had one 'migraine' that would change in severity and lasted from the time I was 5 years old until about I was 20. So 15 years with a headache. And I get them occasionally now.

I can take over the counter excedrin migraine for bad ones and I've learned to self-medicate. They didn't know much about migraines in 1988, and tylenol didn't help so I would 'lose' myself in a book and I could concentrate on something that wasn't pain for all but the worst ones. Nancy Drew and I were BFFs when I was a kid.

But, most of my headaches are controlled now because I have a greater understanding of my triggers. My #1 trigger? Smog.

Long car drives, perfume, gas stations can all trigger migraines for me. As a kid strong sweet smells like donuts or kool-aid would also trigger a migraine.

Now I live in a place with great air quality and rarely get them now.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    My migraines are stress related, and at one point I was getting them daily (while I was working on my thesis), and my doctor put me on a low dose of epilepsy drugs. It was rather odd treatment or so I thought, but after only one month on the meds, the headaches were gone. I have only had about 3 migraines since then. Of course, I've also tried removing a lot of stress from my life too.

Since you're seeing a doctor, you could definitely look into more "holistic" treatments, and an elimination diet might help. I know that many people who suffer from epilepsy do well on a ketogenic diet (apparently it was actually developed for treatment of epilepsy), and some people think that migraines and epilepsy have similar mechanisms of action. So, low carb may help, but then it may not. Something to consider if nothing else provides relief.