New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
I've recently starting reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and am just a tiny bit skeptical as it seems to throw everything we are taught out the window. I know what I've done hasn't worked though, so I'm open to trying it. I'm just curious what kind of progress those of you following the plan have made. Pounds lost, inches, etc. Also, how closely do you follow the nutrition guide? Are you eating more calories than you did before? I eat about 1500 to lose weight but it sounds from this book like I'm going to eat more than that, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    can you be more specific when you say "everything we were taught"

and then elaborate on your own personal goals so we can give you better advice
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes, let me be more specific. I think most women (at least the ones I know) prescribe to the ideal "Eat less, move more" to lose weight. I know I have in the past. I usually cut my calories to lose and try to get cardio in. I KNOW that isn't the only way, just the way that I was trained to feel comfortable by mainstream media, etc.

My goals are to lose weight - simply. I need to lose, I would say 30-40 pounds. I also want to be fit, strong, and healthier. I've lost weight in the wrong ways (cutting calories way too low) and ended up piling all the weight back on. I want a sustainable loss.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm in Stage 6. I didn't read the nutrition portion in the book but eat fairly well (typically lots of veggies and protein) and around 1800-2000 cals. I have managed to lose only a few pounds while doing the program, but measurements and pant size have dropped.

I am 5"8, about 160-3. When I began the program I was around 170, but my initial high weight was 189.

Seriously--measure and take pics and don't rely on the scale to tell you your progress. The visual progress I have made from starting the program blows away what I was accomplishing with just deficit and cardio.

Pick up those weights... if you follow the workouts, you will LOVE the results.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing stage 2 and am so glad I've done it! I've lifted off and on over the years, but not like this. It's a progressive program which is good, keeps your body guessing, changes the routine, and increases your strength. It also is nice to have a plan to follow-I'm a bit type A so I like a plan!

I haven't followed the diet, it's a bit higher carb than I do well with, but I've been eating at about a 20-25% deficit during he 2 months I've followed the plan, with 2-3 days of pretty solid cardio, and I'm up a few lbs from the start. BUT, I'm down a jeans size, 2 inches in most of my measurements, and 2% BF. I'll take that!! I have before/afters from stage 1 in my profile and I can even see a difference and I'm my own worst critic.

I'm breaking away from the scale as an accurate measure of my fitness and body composition, yes, I still have fat to lose, but I am hopeful that it'll work it's way off over time with consistent deficit and exercise. Even if the scale doesn't drop any more if I keep losing inches and getting stronger ill be thrilled!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Is there a chapter on sammiches?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm working on starting the training program again soon. I've been through the first 5 stages 3 times. But each time life happened, and I got off track.

I can tell you that when I was following the program (lifting, not diet) I felt amazing and really enjoyed it. The pictures are great, and they do a really good job of explaining things in layman's terms instead of acronyms and jargon. I gained enough knowledge to comfortably approach "lifting heavy" on my own at home. I get a lot of compliments on my "tone" now. :laugh:

As a side note, I have insulin issues, so I don't follow their diet program, but I've heard it's great!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    No. That's the book I wrote. It also has chapters on how to properly cool beer and being barefoot.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    No. That's the book I wrote. It also has chapters on how to properly cool beer and being barefoot.

Please autograph a copy for my wife. Preferably paper back, as they hurt less when thrown against my head. Or so I've heard.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I've recently starting reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and am just a tiny bit skeptical as it seems to throw everything we are taught out the window. I know what I've done hasn't worked though, so I'm open to trying it. I'm just curious what kind of progress those of you following the plan have made. Pounds lost, inches, etc. Also, how closely do you follow the nutrition guide? Are you eating more calories than you did before? I eat about 1500 to lose weight but it sounds from this book like I'm going to eat more than that, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

maybe because those doing the teaching in those women's mags dont know much about physiology and anatomy?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Please autograph a copy for my wife. Preferably paper back, as they hurt less when thrown against my head. Or so I've heard.

Unless you get a corner of the book.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

On how to lift sammiches? Shouldn't that be sort of an instinct?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

No, but there is an Appendix dedicated to sammiches -- it says that when you can lift more weight than your husband, he has to make you sammiches.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If it sells and makes money anyone will write a book about all kinds of advice whether helpful or lame..those people need to stick with writing books on sammiches not workout advice
  • BallerinaSolare
    BallerinaSolare Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I liked many of the principles of the book, and the pictures and explanation were good. However, he mentioned early on how he easily, knowingly spewed bad advice when working for a fitness magazine just to capitalise on a trend and sell more copies. Rather made me question his integrity and the truth of anything he writes.
  • effondrement
    effondrement Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not sure what his rules are specifically, but here's what I know about lifting for women: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/11/7-strength-training-myths-every-woman-should-know/

From a quick google search it sounds like the author touts women lifting heavy weights. Bingo! This is what you should be doing, as a woman. Fewer reps of high weights = toned body. Tons of science out there on it if you have the time to read through it.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for just over a year after taking some time off, and I started Stronglifts 5x5 about a month and a half ago. I'm 5'5" and 138 lbs, and eating at TDEE -15% or so (between 1700 and 1800 cal/day), I'm definitely losing fat and a little bit of weight. The only "cardio" I do is tae kwon do classes / sparring for a total of 2 hours a week.

Lifting heavy is good for being stronger, definitely, and also for being shaped nicely :) My butt is getting nicer, and my legs are getting smaller, and I have more biceps/triceps than I did before. I haven't read NROLFW, but just make sure to warm up with light weights first in a full range of motion and stretch after your workout.

Also, effondrement is right, go look at nerdfitness.com. There's a post about your new weightlifting hero Staci; she is a beast of a lifter and looks amazing (and tiny).