Need help creating a 1200 calorie diet plan

Options
I'm new here and I need help creating an inexpensive 1200 calorie diet plan. I would like to eat healthier than I am I just don't know where to start. Thanks :)

Replies

• kjnbrae
    kjnbrae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am sticking with salads, grilled chicken, tuna, (all lean meats), and incorporating into my diet more vegetables and fruits. It is hard...I just started yesterday so don't have a Plan just yet but that's what im starting with...hope that helps a little
  • ams2831
    ams2831 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx is a great site for help. You can create a free profile, set a goal for yourself of 1200 calories a day, and it will give you a great nutrient breakdown for you.
  • baldnavywife
    baldnavywife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i try to stick to lean meats with lots of fruits and veggies. it's easier if you cook most of your meals and drink at least 8 cups of water
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    First if you haven't done so I would suggest tracking your calories for a week or two with the way you are already eating. Then maybe work your way downward from there a couple hundred calories at a time. Having said that some cheap things I do are cooking whole chickens and splitting it up into meals, dried beans, eggs, Greek yogurt in the large containers are cheaper, apples & fall squashes are in season and cheap, lettuce by the head is always cheaper than the bagged. When not eating junk food and drinking soda ( occasional treats) it's really easy to stick to 1200 calories. By not buying these things and cutting back eating out to an occasional treat it is easier to afford healthy foods.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Be sure to incorporate enough protein in your diet! Boiled eggs, canned tuna, grilled or roasted chicken are all good to stock up on. I also recommend Joseph's Lavash, instead of regular bread. You can use half a lavash to make a sandwich for 40 calories, instead of the 120 calories 2 slices of wheat bread would be. I normally shred a chicken breast for lunch, roll it up into a lavash with a handful or two of veggies (spinach, broccoli, etc.), and it keeps me from getting hungry between meals.

Also, load up on fresh veggies! They're very low calorie, so you can eat tons of them, and they're not very expensive, either. You can easily buy enough greens to last you a week for under $20. Plus, if you DO start feeling munchy, you can scarf down a cup of fresh broccoli to fill up. It's low calorie and satisfies the need to munch. And you can get a giant bag of fresh broccoli florets to eat throughout the week for around $3.50. IF you can eat cottage cheese (not my thing), my MIL loves the stuff for weight loss. 1% cottage cheese is supposed to be pretty filling for around 160 calories per cup. I wouldn't know, lol, but that's just what I've heard.

HTH!