Popcorn??

Options
I used to eat ice cream at night , now my DH and I eat popcorn. I pop the corn in a pan and use canola oil. I don't salt it very much.Would this be considered a healthy snack?? I've also wondered about a hot air popcorn popper. Just wondered if the corn is good and would it be worth buying and taking up cabinet space. Just wondered??

Replies

• TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like the 100 cal bags. Great late night snack!
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 bag of the Pop Secret Home style 1-2 times a week instead of chips... has 140 calories for the bag... and is delish!
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Myself I do not like hot air corn. It won't hold any salt. If you like bland corn then by all means that would be the healthiest way. Good luck:)
  • kittyloverdeb
    Options
    I had a hot air popper and hated how it tasted! It was a waste of money imho...unless you like the taste of cardboard!
  • scd78
    scd78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really like the 100 cal packs too! Simple, fast and delicious!
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    There isn't much nutritional value to popcorn, I don't believe, but as long as you don't smother it in butter, it's not unhealthy or high in calories. I eat popcorn as a snack all the time! I'm not a fan of butter popcorn so I either have homemade or the closest to it! My mother-in-law has an airpopper, and I love it, but simply do not have the storage space for one at my house right now! (We live in military base housing). Good luck!
  • prencesskl
    Options
    I just had a orville redenbacher movie theater popcorn mini bag, we shared it, but the whole bag is only 170 calories
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I LOVE air popped popcorn the best.
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    I eat 1 bag of the Pop Secret Home style 1-2 times a week instead of chips... has 140 calories for the bag... and is delish!

This is my favorite microwave kind too! It tastes so close to homemade!
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    I LOVE air popped popcorn the best.

I like hot air popcorn, but, like I said before, I'm one for plain popcorn. I'll pass on the loaded butter, thank you!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love my air popper and use Move Over Butter on my popcorn once a week but I also love the Orville Red.... 100 calorie bags at work as a low cal and filling snack. Good for fiber and better than eating something sugary which I love and crave the most.
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you look it up in the food database according to what kind of popcorn you're using, how much oil and how much you're eating. Then decide if it's a good snack or not. That should give you some idea. I buy 98% fat free microwave. I love it!
  • MarceyR
    Options
    I have one and LOVE it! I budgeted a popcorn snack into my meal last weekend. Ate a whole bowl with butter, salt and parmesan cheese. Give it a shot. As for making it on the stove, that's always good but doesn't cooking it in the oil add to the calories? I'd rather have more calories available for my toppings :). Good luck!

Marcey
  • kathott
    kathott Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i use the smart pop 100 calories bags ...especially at night when I am craving something bad....easy and healthy.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my popcorn! My MIL got me a popcorn popper for my birthday last year and I have used the heck out of that thing. I eat it almost everyday. I use canola oil and dust nutritional yeast on afterwards for a "cheesy" flavor. It is so good and makes a great, healthy snack.
  • jimmymonkey
    Options
    I love popcorn too. I use the microwave light, no particular brand. Just to spice it up I shake cayenne on it when I take it out of the microwave..gives it a little kick !
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it healthy per se, but if you have the calories for it, it's not terrible. I do the exact same thing btw, a couple times per week. I even allow myself half a tbsp of melted butter.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. I don't think I'll buy the air popper. We love this popcorn and it seems like it would be more healthier since no preservatives in it.. We actually look forward to our after supper snack....
  • Somenameioi
    Somenameioi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just did this for the first time yesterday- put about 1/3 cup of regular popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag, fold it over tightly a few times and put it in the microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes. Microwave popcorn! Without the crappy stuff they put on the kind you buy at the store and way cheaper! I gave it to my kids like this and they liked it- you can google homemade microwave popcorn recipes and they will give you some ideas of how to give it some flavor. Alton Brown even has a recipe on foodnetwork. Most of them say to add some kosher salt and olive oil.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have heard you can put it in a bag. Did you put any oil in the bag?