Please help me maintain without counting cals!

I'm desperate here.

OK, so, I am the worst at intuitive eating. I'm extremely dependent on external cues (cnting calories, meal times) to know when/how much to eat. To give an example: one time, I accidentally logged extra calories that I didn't eat, so I thought I ate 1200 cals when I only ate 600 cals -- and I didn't feel hungrier that day at all, because my mind thought I ate 1200. But if I really do eat only 800 calories, and I see I only ate that little and can eat more, then I feel hungry. Well, not physically hungry -- 'mentally' hungry.

It's been like this my whole life. I never had hunger cues, even as I child. I skipped both breakfast and lunch since I was 10 years old, because I didn't want to waste sleeping/playing time -- and never felt hungry, even though I was going 24 hours without eating. But when I had time, I ate tons -- not because I was hungry, but because I liked food, and I had no natural satiety point either. The only reason I didn't tip completely into the overweight category is probably because I was inadvertently fasting most of the day.

Well, now I've started college, and I have to eat on-campus (prepaid meal plan), and there are no calories given. What do I do? I want to maintain my weight, but with my inability to discern hunger signals, I can only do that if I track calories! I initially gained 5 pounds, then I lost 7 pounds without meaning to since I got so paranoid without calorie info that I ate too little. My naturally skinny friends just tell me to eat small portions, and only eat when I'm hungry, but I'm always mentally hungry, and I don't know when I'm physically hungry!

For people who are having success maintaining without calorie counting, can you help me? I just want to be able to stabilize my weight, and I have no idea how without counting?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Intermittent fasting might be for you
  • We need more specifics, age, weight, height

I believe your eating to little since you might be a bit to concern on weight maintenance. You need to figure out your maintenance macros, if you eat below 1500 i would say its unhealthy unless you are under like 110 lbs.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    I stopped counting a few weeks ago, instead I have a check list. My goal is to eat around 2000 cals/day with 5 1-cup servings raw veggies (can be cooked, but the volume is raw), 3 1-cup servings of fruit, 5 4oz or approx. 20-25g of protein, etc. This way, I know that I'm roughly getting the same cals every day without entering all of my food (I was way too obsessive about it). I've logged my daily food on here a couple of times now and was +/- at 2000 cals and hit all my macros almost exactly.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    I'm 5'1, and 103-105 lbs. My BMR is below 1200 and my TDEE is 1400 (up to 1600, if exercise 3 times a week).

I basically was doing intermittent fasting while losing weight, but still counting calories. Even if I limited my eating to only an hour a day, I could definitely eat enough in that time to gain weight (again, pitifully low TDEE; also, no natural satiety point).

My campus has a bunch of restaurant-type eating locations, rather than a main dining hall. So, you order an entree and a dessert from a menu and the chef serves it -- but they don't give calorie info. There is no way for me to know the calories that are in anything that I am eating. Again, I have no natural 'stop' or 'start' button. If I could, I would (and have) eaten up to 5000 calories a day, no problem. I also could only eat 800 calories a day and be relatively fine. Without calorie info, and without natural hunger cues, I don't know how much to eat to maintain.
  • You are are very very light.

Yes there is plenty of places where they do not show macro nutrient labels, but if you make good choices am sure it shouldn't be a problem. Try this to help you get an estimate of you maintenance calories.
    IIFYM.COM/IIFYM-CALCULATOR/
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    If you don't want to count calories, check out the keto diet. Fats make you feel full, and as long as you keep carbs really low, I don't count the three days a week I'm off from work, and only use the calorie counter, to check my cholesterol and sodium counts.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    It's not that I don't WANT to count calories. Counting calories is a godsend; it's the only thing that keeps me on track and prevents me from being neurotic about food (since I know exactly what's going into my body).

The problem is that I literally have no option to count calories anymore. None of the campus locations gives calories. Without counting calories, I will eat too much or too little. I already don't like sweets, so my diet is mostly protein, cheese, some bread, veggies/fruit. I just eat too much, since my mental appetite is out of control (I would eat every second of the day if I could--even though I'm never physically hungry). Then, when I gain weight, I get super paranoid and start eating way too little to make sure I'm not eating too much. I feel like without the clarity of counting calories, I'm trapped in an endless, stressful cycle of weight gain/weight loss.

How is it that most of the people I know maintain healthy weights without thinking so much? Is there some trick I'm missing? I just don't know how to portion control without counting. :(

eta: Oh, and thanks for the suggestions guys! I know it's probably annoying to hear me complaining, lol. I really just am at a loss. Losing/maintaining weight is so simple with calorie counting. I don't know how people stay a normal weight without it.
  • Okay, I had to re-read you post a few times in order to truly understand the challenge at hand.

I think I'm getting it so here is my two cents worth. :blushing:

There are often times where I will dine with a friend at some mom & pop place off the grid where ZERO nutrition information is available.

What I do in those situations is I estimate to the best of my ability with something comparable in the MFP database. I eyeball the portion size and make my best estimate and log that.

Is it 100% accurate - nope.

But it's certainly good enough to catalog the calories for each meal and to give a rather general idea of total caloric intake for the day.

It's not as precise as some may prefer but it is better than nothing.

Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Ha ha ha.
    I am exactly the same as you but 40+ years older
    5' 1,
    102-105 lb,
    BMR 875,
    TDEE 1175 at sedentary ( I log my exercise separate as I have just started back at MFP after taking a summer break).
    I have MFP set at 1200 a day

Also, I don't do the normal hunger pangs either and can go 48 hr before I think to eat.

My plan of attack:-
    A set number of options for breakfast - usually coffee, granola bar and orange.
    I am not a breakfast person.

Lunch,
    this is a new one for me. I never felt like eating so I didn't; now I am trying to eat something.
    Rice cakes (2) with hummus, spreadable cheese or fat free cottage cheese or something similar with a couple of pieces of fruit.

With those 2 meals sorted ( I have my calorie count set) I have whatever I like for dinner, but keep in mind the protein will be the size of a pack of card and the carb about 1/2-2/3 a cup. The rest is veg,I eat as much of them as I want. I allow 1 tsp butter or marg for my veg and potatoes. If it is salad; 1tbsp dressing.
    Pasta if I am eating out; half the bowl max!

It takes a while to learn how to eyeball your food, and you have to accept that your count won't be perfect.
    It does keep gross overeating at bay if you set yourself eyeball limits and divide your plate accordingly at the beginning of a meal.
    Because you are eating on campus I would think the calorie count for your meals could be approximated from meals in the MFP database that are listed under some of the chain restaurants.

Hope this helps. It is hard being tiny, I know.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    If you don't count calories no one on this board is going to be able to help or motivate you. If you won't keep track of the calories you're consuming no one else can do it for you.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I would consult with a dietician in the university food services department. I feel fairly certain that they have nutritional information about the food they serve. It may not be easy to find, but it is there somewhere. In fact, I know someone right now who just sent a kid to college with serious health issues and had a meeting with the food service people to get information about the ingredients in all food served on the meal plan.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    LOL sorry OP, some people don't read at all it seems.

I have a few weird suggestions that stop short of you toting a food scale around with you.

Are you ok with eating the same foods repeatedly? Were I you I would order a thing that I like and then haul it back to my room to weigh/measure it. I'd do that a few times to try to get a general idea of what was in that meal. Averages should work ok for you as you can just skip eating a few meals if you notice your weight start to creep up out of whatever your normal "range" is from regular scale fluctuations, not actual weight gain/loss. This would have to be with kinda simple meals, like a piece of meat and a potato. Or fries. Anything not all plopped together that you can separate to weigh the components. You'd probably also have to guess on the preparation method and if it had any added oils or whatnot.

Another option is to familiarize yourself with approximate sizes, like how they say X amount of meat looks like a deck of cards, and try to eyeball things that way.

also I agree about checking with food services, seems the info should be out there somewhere!
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Intermittent fasting might be for you

+1
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    a lot of things they give you on campus are the same things you would get at any cafeteria anywhere and all those things at least have comparable things in the database (think the sodexho campus listings). i see no reason why you wouldnt be able to track at least within reason.

you can.

and you will probably end up eating the same general things all the time so after a month or two they would even all be in your list.

no reason you cant do it.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    most campuses have a university dietitian who can help you with all these problems and probably get you calorie counts. That's what I did in undergrad.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    What helped/helps me is that I plan out a day ahead of time, so I have a game plan. I can figure out conflicts or fit in treats ahead of time. That way I don't panic or forget to eat which ultimately ends up eating too much later. Its more like a check list type dealio, where I can fit in fun stuff and breath easier that I got to work out.

Campus definitely should have some online menu or plan you check out info on what you can eat. That way you can pick out things you want + work. I go to college but I live on my own so easier to buy all my own stuff.

You can do it. Just find what works for you :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    If you don't count calories no one on this board is going to be able to help or motivate you.

This is ridiculous and false.
  • Rachelwin65
    Rachelwin65 Posts: 55 Member
    The american diabetes association has a diabetic exchange diet that does not involve calories. You get a certain number of exchanges per day. There are lists on the internet of what constitutes a serving size. So, for example, you might get 2 or 3 dairy exchanges, 3 proteins, etc. The beauty of this is that if you keep a little tracker, you can just tick off the numbers every day and not have to worry about calories.

The limitation of this method is that things like sauces are hard to figure. You basically would try and avoid heavy cream sauces and gravies, etc.

Google the diabetic exchange diet and you will get a sense of what it is all about.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Since you said that counting calories is fine with you, but you don't know how to do it eating on campus, I'd suggest learning calories by "eyeballing". Others have suggested this and I agree. With your explanation of your problem, I think that you too can see that this isn't going to go away. This problem will always be with you. You need to know how much you can eat, and portion sizes. Trying to decide what's in served food and caculate it's calories will not be easy. Try to order things that are simpler to start. This skill will serve you well all your life, so it's worth it to learn. I really wish you luck. :smile:
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    I would consult with a dietician in the university food services department. I feel fairly certain that they have nutritional information about the food they serve.

^^^ This. I didn't check where you are located but in most states in the U.S. I'm pretty sure they're required to keep calories and stuff documented, along with all the ingredients in each item (for legal purposes). If your university is like mine, they use an outside catering company to make all their food, but they should still have all the nutrition facts stored (for the same legal reasons).

If they University initially refuses to help you then I'd start an online petition (you're probably not the only student at your university having this struggle) and direct it at the University president. Care2.com is an online petition posting site... its just one of several out there though, its just the first one that came to mind for me. If the petition doesn't work I'd involve the local newspaper/ news media. Its important to know what you're eating!

Universities are pretty conscious of their image so probably with a little pushing/complaining etc you'll probably get access to what you need. :)