Waitress & I don't get up early enough to go to the gym...

Options

Replies

• cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me find a way to motivate myself to either go to the gym before work or workout at home. I typically work nights from 4 until about 12 sometimes 2:30am and will stay awake until about 3-5am. I want to wake up, workout or go to the gym and then be able to go home, shower, and get to work on time but I love sleep.

I have tried the sleep in my workout clothes, set multiple alarms, and go to bed as soon as I get home.

Well since you like to stay up until 3-5am find a 24 hr. gym and go after work since you know you won't get up early to go before work. To work out at home, there are plenty of different youtubes out there OR very inexpensive workout tapes/DVD's you can buy, just go to like Walmart and look in the fitness area (back by the bikes) and buy one or two that look good to you.

If YOU want to do it, YOU will find a way, otherwise it's just excuses to avoid exercise and that's your choice.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me find a way to motivate myself to either go to the gym before work or workout at home. I typically work nights from 4 until about 12 sometimes 2:30am and will stay awake until about 3-5am. I want to wake up, workout or go to the gym and then be able to go home, shower, and get to work on time but I love sleep.

I have tried the sleep in my workout clothes, set multiple alarms, and go to bed as soon as I get home.

I love to run, therefore I do it. And sometimes I have to be up at 4am for a race, but it gets done. When you decide to love working out, you'll find your answer.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Even the library here has workout videos. You could check a couple out from a local library to see if you like them. Go to a used book/movie store. Do you already belong to a gym? It's not like you need a lot of time to do them. Generally, i was procrastinating much longer than the actual workout. Now I just do it and the time crunch is much better. The mind can really make it seem like a lot of things are impossible that it finds unpleasant.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What they all said. You have until 4pm so you just have to get into the discipline.
    the 24hr gym was a good one, but frankly most gyms are open during the daylight hours. and your home is open 24hrs.

Try the exercise first thing or within 1hr of getting up or go immediately before you go to work. You arent saying what sort of workout you want. Walking or cycling to work is cool or alternatively just find some classes that are fun and you enjoy. Go swimming or Zumba anything to get you and keep you moving.

Again what everyone else said you have to make a choice, do it or don't do it.

Four things that motivate me and by no means all.

1. Gym closeby.
    2. Know your routine.
    3. Seeing the benefits, losing weight or changes in appearance/ progress.
    4. Understanding the health risks of being overweight.

The hardest bit I find is getting your backside in the gym.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I want you to be successful at this.

The drive comes from within.

When you find it, you will have the solution youre looking for

FR if youd like

Fsunami
  • FemWeight
    Options

It is hard when you work late to have the motivation to do anything. Specially when you have a job like yours , on your feet all the time!
    You got to remember your body gets use to all that moving around so it won't help exercise wise and you're going to have to do something to get into gear.

I work out after work I find this the easiest time for me . Of course I work out soon as I get home for an hour then after dinner for another 30+ minutes . But it works for me. Just to try and apply effort is one step closer. And asking for questions and advice means your really serious or you'd not ask.

All you have to do now is put your mind set to I will do this , I will succeed.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used to work very similar hours when I was in my early 20s. My advice would be to try to get to bed a little earlier, so if your shift ends at midnight be in bed by 2. If it ends at 2:30 be in bed by 4. Then you can be awake by 10 or 11. Go for a run, bike ride, or do a video (that way you don't waste time driving to the gym.)

Start small, a few miles, or a 20 minute video, but do it consistently! At least a few times a week. As you get used to the new routine you will be feeling good and can find a way to increase the time to work out.

I did it with the same schedule and I was a bonafide sleep-a-holic! Start small and be consistent. Good Luck!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Just how many hours are you sleeping? If you're in bed by 5 am at the latest, and don't work again until 4 pm, surely there's an hour in there to exercise.

You can try telling yourself that working out is part of your job and your shift starts at 2 rather than 4... and then report daily to the gym for the first part of your "shift", if that makes it easier for you to actually do it. :indifferent:
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same schedule as you for eight years. I was always the pm closing server/bartender!

What worked for me was either going to the gym after work (I'm a planet fitness member, 24/7 access)
    When I had a bike I would bike to and from work. This one is iffy depending on how safe the area you live in is. I always carried a weapon though.

Going to the gym right after work worked out for me because sure I was tired but I was still pumped. Being at work was basically my warm up and I was able to get in some HIIT work on the elliptical afterwards.

I feel ya though with not wanting to get up during the morning/afternoon! It was impossible to drag myself anywhere in the afternoon before work unless It was something I absolutely had to get done.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    since you are staying up so late after getting off of work anyways, why not work out when you get off? sitting on the couch in front of the tube isn't going to get you close to your goal. when you really want something you will find a way without cutting into your sleep time. (I am a waitress too) go for a walk, do a video, do yoga, join a 24 hour gym, etc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that you either make the time for or you don't...and it doesn't get any easier. Making time for fitness is a real ***** when you are working more traditional hours and also have a family to tend to.

Only you can decide what is going to work best for you...but ultimately this is just one of those things you make time for or you don't. Motivation is a bunch of bull ****...I do a crap load of stuff every day that I'm not motivated to do...but hey, the dishes aren't going to do themselves.

Personally, I'd opt for after work and a 24/7 facility. The middle of the night is an awesome time to hit the gym and I personally love lifting after a stressful day at the office. Helps me clear out the bull**** in my head so I can go home and relax and enjoy my family.
  • chatterbachx
    Options
    Wow! A LOT of replies! Thanks everyone by the way! Time isn't the issue, its finding a way to get my butt off the couch or mainly out of bed and to the gym.

Also to the suggestions about a 24 hour gym, there isn't any near me. My gym is 5am until midnight. I am trying to motivate myself and mainly dragging a friend along with me and me having to pick them up has worked the best so far.

I miss working out at night, it worked the best, but since I can't I will just have to get up earlier and force myself to go during the day.
  • chatterbachx
    Options
    I had the exact same schedule as you for eight years. I was always the pm closing server/bartender!

What worked for me was either going to the gym after work (I'm a planet fitness member, 24/7 access)
    When I had a bike I would bike to and from work. This one is iffy depending on how safe the area you live in is. I always carried a weapon though.

Going to the gym right after work worked out for me because sure I was tired but I was still pumped. Being at work was basically my warm up and I was able to get in some HIIT work on the elliptical afterwards.

I feel ya though with not wanting to get up during the morning/afternoon! It was impossible to drag myself anywhere in the afternoon before work unless It was something I absolutely had to get done.

This is EXACTLY what I used to do, but have to change now since no 24 hr gym :(
  • Elvenhearted1
    Elvenhearted1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Everybody gets 24 hours in a day. "I don't have time" is a cop out and the lazy person's excuse. If it's important enough to you, you will make the time.

I'm a mother of 4 and run a business from home, and still find time to exercise and eat well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within. If you make the decision to become fitter you will make the time to either get into the gym or go for run or whatever you enjoy doing. The only limitation I could see your schedule imposing would be if you wanted to participate in a team sport.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    If it is important to you, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's also true. I work a full on graveyard shift. And ain't nobody that loves their sleep like a person who works full on graves full-time. But I manage to make it to the gym 6 days a week. If a 24 gym isn't available to you… just force yourself to wake up earlier. If you can have to be to work at 4… Sleep til 2 or 2:30. That'll give you time to get in a workout and still get showered and ready. If you can get to bed by 4 am, that's still 10 hours of sleep. And the workouts will give you more energy so that 10 hours will end up being plenty!

On those days when you get off particularly late or other things keep you up past the time you would normally like to be asleep, you can always do an at-home workout after you get off.
  • GatsbyBelfort
    GatsbyBelfort Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Waitressing burns a lot of calories.. you're walking around and carrying heavy plates, and on busy shifts you'll be concentrating pretty hard on whatever you're doing. After sleeping at 5am you'd need about seven hours (?) sleep, roughly, to take you up to midday. Then four hours before work. You could squeeze an hour in easy before then. But if you're sleeping and working constantly, do you really need the gym that badly? You can do simple weight exercises at home. Pushing yourself to go alongside working and sleeping irregularly, I think, could possibly be counterproductive to your health & wellbeing (and maybe subsequently weight loss). If I were you I would try to squeeze in a workout or two on days off. Working out AFTER a 2am finish seems like the worst idea to me. Sorry to but in... I've just been in the same predicament myself, it's so difficult with waitressing jobs!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    leave the waitress home.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    just switch to a 24 hour gym and go after work! :)

Yes!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    All good answers. People usually post this kind of thing when they don't want to change. If you want to you will.