Help.. running advice please

Options
hyg99
hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
To set the scene, have lost 63lb this year and have always exercised (years) obviously upped the effort and frequency, currently I do

Mon abs blast and body pump
Tues gym 45 mins
Wed aerobics cx works
Thur zumba lbt
Fri rest as work later
Sat gym
Sun gym

I have decided to start running again and so on a Sunday have forfeited gym for a outdoor run. This week managed 50 minutes. I would like to really up my game so did a treadmill run at the gym on Tuesday 40 min 4 mile (was incredibly hard...). My question is how often should I run? I enjoy mixing it up so wouldn't like to give up my classes. Is 2x a week enough to be able to eventually do a 1/2 marathon? (My ultimate goal). I find running hard but get such a sense of accomplishment.
I do work fulltime and have kids, my classes have to fit round music, swimming....

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Runner's World recently had an article that said that, for non-elite runners, you should be running 30-40 miles a week to train for a half marathon. I suppose if it were a one-time thing and you weren't concerned about your finishing time you could get away with far fewer miles.

(I'm running my first half marathon at the end of October, am targeting sub-2:00:00, and get in about 35 miles in 5 days of running per week. Other than a bit of TRX I am not doing any other workouts.)
  • hyg99
    Options
    Wow, that's some miles!

Would you suggest running most days? On the treadmill I seem to run faster whereas outside slower but with hills. Do you mix it up? I often use the cross trainer for 60 mins on a Saturday, will that help?

Sorry full of questions...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    When I was training for shorter races (5k) I did much more cross-training (cycling/spinning, pilates, elliptical, stairmaster) to mix it up, but I didn't think I could get my mileage in and be able to run for 2 hours solid without upping my running game. I run 5-6 miles 4 days a week and do a 12-14 mile run once a week currently, and sometimes still the long run is rough depending on the weather or if my route is hilly. I've only been running for 2 years now and though I love it because it's a super easy way to lose weight, sometimes I still get bored and antsy on my long runs. The half marathon is a bucket list thing for me and I don't know if I'll run another--maybe I'll move on to a Ragnar race next...

I'm doing all my running outside because I don't belong to a gym currently, but I'll have to suck it up and join one before the weather gets too cold. I have a 5 miler on Thanksgiving Day, and that will mark the end of the outdoor running season for me (I live in New England). I will cut back on mileage when I'm on the treadmill just because it's so darn boring, but I'll mix it up and work on speed since the treadmill forces me to keep up.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Would you suggest running most days? On the treadmill I seem to run faster whereas outside slower but with hills.

For HM at the moment I'm doing three midweek sessions of around 5-7 miles with a long weekend run of up to 14 miles. Cross training is on my bike, sometimes some resistance training if I can be bothered, but that bores me senseless.

The type of session you do depends on your objectives, completion vs time. That said, your mileage increase is very fast and has quite a high injury risk.

The best way to train to run, is to run. Cross training helps in terms of mitigating injury risk while maintaining CV improvement, but it's not going to have a huge effect for performance.

ETA: personally I loathe the dreadmill, but for purely mileage then it's useful. Discount the effect by about 30% though.
  • hyg99
    Options
    Thanks Mitch and meandering man. I live in the UK so the weather is frequently rubbish so indoor is going to be my only option. Im not in a hurry so I can take slowly. I think after reading the frequency of your runs I may just stick to twice a week for a month or 2 then up to three for another few months and so on.

Thank you both.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Huge caution: you cannot go from a standing start to 30-40 miles per week, you absolutely will get injured. It's hard to hold yourself back once you've caught the bug, but an achilles injury means 6-10 weeks not running. which means you undo all of your training, and many running injuries are caused by ramping too quickly.

I am aiming for a HM in February next year and on a moderately aggressive programme - my third training programme and the longest thus far. From the HM I will do 3 months to a 30ish km run, and from there 3 months to a full marathon in October next year.

My training only rolls up to 35kms on foot a week (20ish miles) in 3 sessions - 1 pace, 1 long run, 1 tempo. However I cross train on the bike by commuting and doing Saturday long rides at around 60-90 minutes per session. It keeps the enduro and cardio base up, but unless you're targeting a triathlon you might get more out of cross training on elliptical or working on some leg strength and flexibility.

There are a number of programmes you can follow that will increment you up to the distance you need, then to the pace that you need, while minimising the number of miles you need to run.

Re the weather: harden up, sunshine, you're a runner now....if it's raining wear a hat, if it's cold wear gloves, windcheater, combo compression / thermal leggings and you're good to go. Honestly the best time to train is through winter, you get a massive boost coming through spring and into summer, which is when your body will be physically prepared to ramp rapidly, plus it keeps dem calorie burns up.

Good luck and welcome to the club.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Thanks Mitch and meandering man. I live in the UK so the weather is frequently rubbish so indoor is going to be my only option.

So do I. I haven't called off a run due to weather in over a year. Layers deal with cold, in the rain one just gets wet. Snow and ice reduce the pace a bit.

I would suggest a structured programme to increase your running, Runners World and Trail Running frequently publish them, alternatively Runkeeper, Endomondo and Garmin all provide training plans that integrate with their apps/ devices.

That helps manage your mileage increase sensibly. Also look into Parkrun locally as that'll give you an opportunity to get some benchmark sessions in without any real pressure.

I have a trail half this weekend :)
  • NinaChanges
    NinaChanges Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started running myself so I can't contribute very much to this conversation but I was wondering the same thing. So I read on some web pages for running that HIIT training also helps to increase stamina and makes the heart and lungs stronger so it can also help you increase distance. And that is how my uncle, who has been running marathons, trains, alternately with his regular running sessions especially when he doen't have much time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    So I read on some web pages for running that HIIT training also helps to increase stamina and makes the heart and lungs stronger so it can also help you increase distance.

You don't get any credible benefit from that until you have a solid aerobic base. It's more likely to lead to injury when there is no base, as the biomechanics aren't ready for it.
  • NinaChanges
    NinaChanges Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanx for the feedback meandering:wink: You are right and I should also mention that after 40 it can be pretty dangerous for the heart!
  • Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've completed several half marathons and never done more than 3 runs/week. one long, two short, including a bit of speedwork. Unless you already are really fit, 40 miles/week is A LOT. I would start with 3/week and then if you want to, build up. But do it slowly, or you risk injury, and then it's no runs per week and a lot of frustration - trust me, I know! :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ... I should also mention that after 40 it can be pretty dangerous for the heart!

I wouldn't go that far, as it can help to improve VO2Max and raise endurance at the lactate threshold. As with anything it's a question of progression.

Running can be quite hard on the muscular and skeletal structure, so doing too much too quickly is likely to lead to physical injury far quicker than over-exertion of the heart, particularly in someone whose already active.

Taking time to build up running capacity gives the muscles, joints and fine control around the joints time to build up resistance to the action of running itself. Someone going from nothing to 40 minutes at a 10 minute mile, albeit on a treadmill, is asking for injury in fairly short order.

That's the main reason why beginner programmes tend to work with run/ walk intervals moving up to continuous running. Disciples of the Galloway method would advocate run walk intervals even for long distances. I can see the logic, but personally I find it more demanding to do that than run continuously for a long time.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Running a half marathon does not require 30-40 miles per week. Many beginner plans top out in the 20-25 mile per week range. It is very possible to progress from a long run of 3-5 miles to a half marathon over the course of a couple months.
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Last month I completed my first half marathon and in terms of training, I stuck pretty much to two short runs a week of 2/3 miles, and one long run which was around 6-10 miles. I was probably averaging around 10-12 miles per week and didn't struggle completing the HM, finishing with a time of 2:21.

Good luck with getting into running :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Start off with running in a 5k and then progress to a 10k. After that you can look into doing a half marathon if you wish. Just take it easy and don't do too much too soon.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Start off with running in a 5k and then progress to a 10k. After that you can look into doing a half marathon if you wish. Just take it easy and don't do too much too soon.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

best advice!

also you are currently only taking ONE rest day and wanting to add some running. I strongly suggest a second rest day, you're over doing it and will certainly burn out quickly and heighten your risk of injury.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I've heard you lose a bit of endurance after two (ETA consecutive) days of not exercising... So... could you do 3 times a week? You could always just keep one of those runs to 20 minutes. However, since you'll probably cross train, maybe it won't be an issue. Listen to other people!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I've heard you lose a bit of endurance after two (ETA consecutive) days of not exercising... So... could you do 3 times a week? You could always just keep one of those runs to 20 minutes.

I don't think that's true at all. You'd need to take an entire week off to lose any endurance.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've run three HM and have NEVER run more than 3 days a week. I found when I tried to run more than that I couldn't recover and ended up slowing down and feeling yucky. I stick to 2-3 days of running, two days of strength training a day of yoga and a rest day every week. I'm not a fast runner but I'm not in it for a specific time, just to finish and challenge myself. Runners World has a great program under the tools tab on their website called Smart Coach. It allows you to enter in the dates for your race, the training intensity, etc and will give you a training schedule. Made it through all three HM following that plus my weight training.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I'd cut your current mileage down a little bit and work on running 3 times a week. Working up to 20miles a week should have you in shape to do a HM.

Build up slowly, even if your cardio fitness allows you to run for 40-50 minutes already it would be wise to drop back a bit and pick up a couch to 5k, or couch to 10k program. Considering your obvious cardio fitness you could skip the first few weeks, but if you haven't done much running and don't have a deadline for your HM I would recommend starting from the start and working all the way through.

I did my first HM about 12 months after I started running(A month ago), I had been averaging 20mile a week for the prior 2 months and I ran a 1:54:26 on a hilly course.