Popcorn??

Options

Replies

• MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I suspect that the popcorn you make yourself in the pan / air popper is healthier than the microwave popcorn, just in terms of ingredients.

You could find out the calorie information by using the "recipe" function of MFP. You put in the ingredients that you use to make the whole amount, and then put in how many servings that makes. I bet that what you're making now isn't too bad.
  • shanpgh
    shanpgh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/plain-brown-popper-recipe/index.html

Try this recipe (I use scotch tape instead of a staple). It's like having your own microwave popcorn but you can control the taste.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty healthy so long as you hold off the butter, sugar, cheese, too much salt or any other things not so good for you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/265098-health-benefits-of-air-popped-popcorn/
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    For those who think popcorn doesn't have any nutritional value, you'd be surprised to realize that 1 cup of air popped popcorn has 6 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein. Not bad at all for being low on calories.

That being said, I hate air popped popcorn, like others have said, it doesn't hold the salt as well, so I don't like the flavor. But I make popcorn on the stove with 1 Tbsp of olive oil, 1/4 cup of popping corn and add a little salt (and I like some powdered butter flavoring) to taste (not too much) and it's about 300 calories for over 5 cups of popcorn. Split it with someone or save half for later, and I call that a very satisfying and pretty good for you snack!

This is all about balance. We'd all go crazy if we went forever without our favorite foods, so you just have to make them work into your daily life!
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    I love all these ideas.........
  • sunbeam11
    Options
    You will save a lot of fat and calories by switching to a hot air popper. I love mine. It's more cost effective than buying microwave popcorn, more flavor options, and usually fresher and definitely tastier. You can spray it with a little canola oil spray to make your seasonings stick. The canola oil spray has almost no calories.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Pop Weaver has a carmel glazed pop corn that is only 100 calories for a 5 cup bag. It curbs my salt and sweet tooth. I love it.
  • Jenybaby
    Jenybaby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Air popped is MUCH better. Unsalted you can eat 3 cups worth as a healthy snack. It has no fat! Air poppers are cheap and don't take up too much room. I love it and if you really want, a little salt won't hurt!
  • FIREfitGrl27
    Options
    LOVE POPCORN! I have an air pop popper and it's great. Whenever I want a tasty snack..quick...I go to the air pop and have my popcorn! I use fat free zero calories Parkay spray to replace butter and dash on the finely grounded garlic powder! Yummy yum in my tummy tum tum!
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm going to check the recipe that Alton Brown has for it. I always use canola oil to pop it in so I feel like its pretty healthy. You know you've got to have something to enjoy for a snack...
  • knelson422
    Options
    I like the hot air popper - and it does unfortunately take up space. You can get some "I can't believe it's not butter" spray, that you can spray on the popcorn. It is in with the butter at the store. I like to spray that on, and a little salt. We are actually having popcorn right now as we watch "Winter Wipeout".
  • seniorfaye
    Options
    Pop Weaver has a carmel glazed pop corn that is only 100 calories for a 5 cup bag. It curbs my salt and sweet tooth. I love it.
    Oh, I'm going to have to try that. I love the caramel flavor popcorn. I love sweets!!!
  • jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My dad bought a Whirly Pop while I was still living at home. Once you use a little oil in it a few times and coat the inside, you don't even need to add oil (you just wipe it out after using it, not wash it with soap and water). The tiny bit of oil from the inside of the pan is enough to get seasonings to stick, but less than you would have by popping it on the stove. It tastes a million times better than an air popper.
  • seniorfaye
    Options
    I just went in and put the unpopped corn and the #;s were good. When I put in for canola oil , it changed drastically.... I just might be looking at a hot air popper!!!
  • masmith06
    Options
    Pop Secret Homestyle is also my all time favorite popcorn. Tired others and always go back. I enjoy a bag on Sundays.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's mini Kettle corn bags....100 calories and it's yummy
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Way better to pop it on the stove than use microwave bags. Those are so bad for you.

I'd say it's a good snack. I have it a couple times a month, popped in oil and lightly salted. Mmmmm!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Too funny. I just made myself some! I did it on the stove with less than 1 tsp of olive oil, and I put less than 1 tsp of TACO SEASONING on it, omg, it was DIVINE!

Total calories? 130 - most likely LESS than, but that's what I put into the database here at mfp.

Oh and it came to 2 cups popped. Seriously great stuff.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    We love pan popped corn but since dieting we put a 1/4 c pop corn in a brown paper lunch bag and microwave it for about 2.5 minutes. Its just like air popped but you don't need a special popper. Salt dosnt stick much bt its the lowest calorie popcorn you can get.
  • RobinB1967
    Options
    I love Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop 94% fat free. Just discovered Kernel Season's Popcorn Spritzer (0 calories) and Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasoning (2 calories). Yum!! (It would also help flavor the hot air popcorn too.)