Hands feeling swollen..

Options
Morning.

I've recently started walking; my fitness level is very, very low and the lane that I walk up and down is consistently inconsistent with small hills and a twisty, uneven surface. I was walking twice maybe three times a week but I have just gotten to the point where my speed might be the same but I am going much further, which is a huge win for me (I'm usually gone for at least an hour with maybe 15 minutes tops of small breaks.)

But I have noticed that my hands feel like they are swelling up by the time I get home. I'm assuming this could be water but why? And is there something I should be doing?
I've also just started drinking more water, tea and so on and I realize I could still be drinking more water. And I also take a painkiller before I walk (Back issue). But just in case there is something I could be doing I would love some opinions!

Thanks.

Replies

• christashay
    christashay Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Whew! Thought it was just me! Whenever I walk, jog or hike for an extended time, say 30ish mins, both hands blow up. My fingers get stiff and feel awful. I have to take off my rings before I go or I'm miserable. Although I have started carrying something, like a chapstick or a piece of tree limb I find on the trail, and it prevents this from happening. No freakin idea why, but it does. And oddly enough, I can do workouts all day- no swelling. Hmmmm... weird
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mine do that too, it's water retention. I combat it by keeping my arms bent rather than having my hands right down at my side. It feels unnatural until you gte used to it, but it's way better than having horrid stiff sausage fingers!
  • foodaholic11
    foodaholic11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too, I get it all the time when I do any extra long hikes etc..
  • DiminutiveDame
    DiminutiveDame Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Glad to know I'm not the only one ^^. I will try keeping my hands up/arms bent; I think I would get too annoyed holding or carrying something but I might try that sometime too.
    Thank you for the help guys x
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That happens to me as well!! I found if I carry something in my hands it helps. Anything from my keys to a cloth to blot sweat or a bottle of mace. I had stopped walking because if the swelling, but now it's a lot better.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    It's water retention - a sign of not having enough water or too much sodium.

If you cut down on sodium and drink more water, it will happen less frequently.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think it is increased water in the tissues due to exercise. Sort of a temporary oedema. The lymphatics regulate the fluid levels of the tissues by pumping away excess water etc. and in summer heat your ankles can swell, with heat being the key word. Same as when the body gets hot during exercise. The lymphatic vessels depend on the muscle pump to return the stuff to the bloodstream (rather than have built-in pushing force like the smooth muscles of the blood vessels), so it'll take a bit of time before normal status has been reached.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's pretty common. Seems to be worse for me when it's hot/humid but even in the cooler months my hands will swell if I'm on a longer walk and not swinging my arms as I should. As others suggested, keep your arms bent and swing them - kind of like a runner would do but less pronounced. I also find carrying a small water bottle can help as it makes me automatically bend my arms instead of letting them just dangle - and I switch hands periodically. When you notice it, try flexing your hands (make a fist then open your fingers way up, repeat) as that will help increase circulation.

P.S. Way to go on your progress!! Keep at it!!
    I did the same thing in the beginning, walked real slow and just kept pushing the distance. Trust me, with time, you'll start walking faster and farther no problem.
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said-- water retention / dehydration. Your skin swells a bit as it dehydrates. Just drink more water before/during/after exercising and all will be well. :)
  • DiminutiveDame
    DiminutiveDame Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    After walking today I noticed just scrunching and un-scrunching my hands made a little difference and took out some of the uncomfortable swelling.

I forgot to mention it's getting colder here and it's always pretty windy where I live. (On the coast and close to shore.) But I do sweat and warm up myself quite quickly.

I swing my arms a little, just from the motion of walking and I don't want to force it just because I use a fitbit flex; I don't want to skrew the readings. But I will start drinking more, I don't think I usually have a problem with salt but then again, I've never really paid attention to it either. And I will try carrying something with me from now on. But just squeezing and wriggling my fingers helps a little and it doesn't last long once I stop walking.

It's worth it ^^, just happy to know I'm not alone!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    this is so funny! I have been wondering this for so long. It happens to me and I know it happens to my walking partners, so I figured it was somewhat normal!! I think it has gotten a little better since my weight loss!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    this is so funny! I have been wondering this for so long. It happens to me and I know it happens to my walking partners, so I figured it was somewhat normal!! I think it has gotten a little better since my weight loss!
    Obviously, since it is tied to blood circulation and how well one's heart is working. If one is in bad shape, the heart isn't working optimally, which translates to (in some cases, it seems to be genetic to an extent) thick fingers.

Scrunching fingers means you put the lymphatics in motion with the muscle pump.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    After walking today I noticed just scrunching and un-scrunching my hands made a little difference and took out some of the uncomfortable swelling.

I forgot to mention it's getting colder here and it's always pretty windy where I live. (On the coast and close to shore.) But I do sweat and warm up myself quite quickly.

I swing my arms a little, just from the motion of walking and I don't want to force it just because I use a fitbit flex; I don't want to skrew the readings. But I will start drinking more, I don't think I usually have a problem with salt but then again, I've never really paid attention to it either. And I will try carrying something with me from now on. But just squeezing and wriggling my fingers helps a little and it doesn't last long once I stop walking.

It's worth it ^^, just happy to know I'm not alone!
    By all means keep yourself hydrated, but if your fluid balance is fine and your electrolytes, too, (not too much salt) then increasing your water intake will have absolutely no effect on hands getting (less) full of fluid during exercise.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said-- water retention / dehydration. Your skin swells a bit as it dehydrates. Just drink more water before/during/after exercising and all will be well. :)
    Actually it is the opposite. If the pressure isn't high enough, when you push a finger into flesh, it won't "bounce back" as quickly or in other words it isn't hydrated enough.