Is a fibre supplement and a laxative the same thing?

Options
I don't want laxatives which I can only use for a week... I want a supplement I can use EVERY. DAY. CONTINOUSLY. I don't want something to help me now, I want something to help me every day.

I asked my pharmacist for a fibre supplement and he gave me laxatives which I can only use for a week. :-/

Does that mean they are the same thing and there's really nothing I can use continously?

Replies

• TheKingsChampion
    Options
    They're not the same thing

So basically my anger is not misplaced and my pharmacist didn't listen to me and sold me ****. :-/
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Oops double post, ignore this

I have no problem eating healthy, but the thing is that it doesn't seem to help a thing. Unless I live off beans and lentils and all bran cereal all day (that is eat JUST that stuff alone), my tummy isn't "going" anywhere. :-/

Prunes also doesn't do anything . It's just not enough. I need to eat 30g of fibre a day to make a difference and I'm finding it really hard to hit that without eating the exact same stuff everyday.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't want laxatives which I can only use for a week... I want a supplement I can use EVERY. DAY. CONTINOUSLY. I don't want something to help me now, I want something to help me every day.

I asked my pharmacist for a fibre supplement and he gave me laxatives which I can only use for a week. :-/

Does that mean they are the same thing and there's really nothing I can use continously?

yes your pharmacist did wrong and if there is a lead/head pharmacist I'd file a complaint! What you need is something like Metamucil, (google it) Walmart and most other stores have a store brand that is less $ but work the same, you'll find them in the pharmacy area typically near the Protein Drink mixes. These are fiber therapy not a laxative! It is for those who do not get enough natural fiber, or not enough in their diet each day.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    They are not the same, but your pharmacist might have chosen one or the other based on your description of the situation.

This was my exact words to him: "I need a fibre supplement, something that I can drink everyday to keep regular."

While in a hurry I never checked what he gave me and when I got home and read it's label first thing I see is "WARNING: laxatives should not be taken for longer than a week unless prescribed by a physician."
  • Missmass4
    Missmass4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What *exactly* did the pharmacist give you? Fiber can be used to treat constipation and so may have the term "laxative" on the bottle/box. Does not mean it is not a fiber supplement. All OTC medications will say not to use for an extended period of time...to discourage people from treating chronic conditions without seeing a physician. Look on the label and find the active ingredient. Fiber will be listed as the active ingredient(although there are several types of fiber available, and they all have different names: psyllium, methylcellulose, etc).
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    What *exactly* did the pharmacist give you? Fiber can be used to treat constipation and so may have the term "laxative" on the bottle/box. Does not mean it is not a fiber supplement. All OTC medications will say not to use for an extended period of time...to discourage people from treating chronic conditions without seeing a physician. Look on the label and find the active ingredient. Fiber will be listed as the active ingredient(although there are several types of fiber available, and they all have different names: psyllium, methylcellulose, etc).

The only ingredient listed in this stuff (Fybogel) is 3.5g of Ispaghula Husk per sacket. :-/
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options

The only ingredient listed in this stuff (Fybogel) is 3.5g of Ispaghula Husk per sacket. :-/

Well then it is a fiber supplement

It is? That's a funny name for fibre..
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat grounded flax seeds. I add it to yogurt and cereal. Love it because it doesn't have any taste. Or at least I don't taste anything :) Helped me to make my toilet visits regular :P
  • Missmass4
    Missmass4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Those are both considered fibre supplements. Btw, I'm a pharmacist and I get questions from my customers about fiber all the time :)
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Fiber helps weight loss by making you feel fuller. It also helps lower cholesterol because it bonds with cholesterol and helps it pass through the body. We need 25-35 g per day and most people only get 10 or less. Try adding up you numbers for a couple of days. That is why supplements help.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Fiber helps weight loss by making you feel fuller. It also helps lower cholesterol because it bonds with cholesterol and helps it pass through the body. We need 25-35 g per day and most people only get 10 or less. Try adding up you numbers for a couple of days. That is why supplements help.

I don't care about weight loss I just want my digestion to be normal.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Okay then sorry MFP for all the hype about nothing, and sorry Pharmacist for cursing you because you are an idiot and gave me the "wrong" stuff. :)

Ironic I called him an idiot aint it? Lol
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    the doctor prescribed me fybogel.try both.
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try psyllium husk. Make sure you buy the unrefined type that is not water soluble. And check the ingredients to be sure other things are not added that you don't need. I used it every day to get back on track with regular bowel movements.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Not same thing.... but I take fiber choice tablets every morning along with a refirgerated probiotic and really like how it has helped my pooping issues. I used to take Miralax every day, now i take it once a week, if that. You can also take Metamucil - which is fiber, but really makes you go 9well, it doesnt make me go, nothing does, but friends have told me) The fiber chioce pill things don't make you run to the bathroom, they just help...well...make sure you get enough daily fiber!