Gabapentin and losing weight

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this message board stuff . I suffer from chronic back pain . I've had one op already but basically in agony 24/7. I take 2 tramadol , 2 co co damol , 2 300mg gabapentin and 20 mg of citalopram . I function ok . My biggest concern is the amount of weight I have gained especially in my legs . I have gained over a stone in weight in the last year . I work out like a fiend and don't eat that much but yet I still gain . I feel like my legs are full of water and do not belong to me . I have tried to stop taking them but the pain is unbearable . I am so highly strung about my weight that I think now I never want to take them again . I'm sure they are the reason for my weight gain . I have even resorted to buying thyroxine online in the hope that it shifts some weight . Sometimes I get so down . My head is foggy . Suicidal thoughts do cross my mind but that's when I feel really low . Here's hoping I can stop the gabapentin and the pain will be manageable . I take diclifenic too . Forgot about that .

Just curious, if you are in agony 24/7 with back pain, how do you work out like a fiend?

I have cauda equina syndrome, (the nerves at the base of my spinal cord are all stuck together and scarred over). Neurontin helps greatly with the deep intense leg pain. But even on the medicine, I cannot work out strenuously because it will increase the swelling in my spinal nerves.

Perhaps you should cutback on your intense workouts and maybe that will help with your back pain, and help you lower all the meds you are on.
    Eating a non-inflammatory diet helps immensely as well.
  • I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to login to tell my story : Gabapentin has been a miracle drug for me....but the weight gain is a pain in the *kitten*!! I lived at healthy weight until a car accident last September. Since then I've had four spinal surgeries and between the Prednisone, the Gabapentin, and being unable to move, I've gained nearly 50 lbs (well, almost 4 stone - I think I've figured that correctly). I'm only just now able to walk a bit and am looking forward to normal exercise.

I hate the fact that this drug seems to cause weight gain, but it DOES help with pain. I'm off narcotics and hope to someday be off the Gabapentin as well. For now, I'm just happy to be off Prednisone/all steroids!

Hang in there, friends!
  • caddy365
    caddy365 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have been using Gabapentin for about 1 year consistently for neuropathy in my feet and as long as it is working, I feel very good. I have little to no pain or that buzzing/bee stings feeling and I am able to be active that way. I agree it has side effects including weight gain (21 lbs for me in 12 months) but need the relief from the pain so I can't stop taking it. I plan on lowering my calories to about 1800 and increasing exercise by riding my new bike my husband bought me as soon as all the snow is gone...bad winter.

I am fortunate that I do not have most of the other symptoms many of you have mentioned except occasional drowsiness and coughing. I take about 2400mg /day. My biggest complaint is how long it takes to really kick in (about an hour or so) and it wears off quickly without much warning. I have found that if I take the next one with about an hour to go on the previous one, I can stay pain free most of the time and sleep well all night...but when I wake up in the morning and it has worn off completely -that can be miserable. I have not tried Lyrica and I see many of you have switched to that. Does anyone know if it is more expensive compared to Gabapentin?... which is very inexpensive.

I wish you all improved health and a lot of pain free days ahead.
  • Mrstuggy
    Mrstuggy Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm taking it and I've actually lost 3 pounds in the three days I've been on it! I hope this continues! :happy
  • proudmomash
    Options
    I have been on Gabapentin since 2010 for chronic migraine issues. My Rheumatologist just bumped me from 600mg a day to 1200mg a day to help with my Fibromyalgia pain. I just now am realizing the connection between my 70lb weight gain since starting it and my inability to lose weight (even with taking diuretics and diet pills, not together...). I spent about 2 months researching all the meds I am on (Gabapentin, paroxetine, clonazepam, Modafinil, simvastatin, and tomazepam) and came to the conclusion that it is in fact the Gabapentin causing me to be unable to lose any weight no matter how hard I try with diet, exercise, stretching, etc. Does anyone know if there is something else out there like Gabapentin that does not have to weight gain, extreme hunger, etc side effects? I am apprehensive to switch since it really helps my mood, but I need to get my BMI down and lose weight or I will never get off of my blood pressure meds. Help!
  • gwest514
    gwest514 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on gabapentin for about 7 months now for chronic migraines. Since I've started the medication, I have gained about 25 pounds. I eat right and try to work out, but can't seem to lose any weight. I have always been one to watch what I eat, and I still do, even more so, but cannot lose this weight. I also have no energy. I constantly feel very lethargic, which makes it hard to workout, but I walk and still manage to fit in a core workout even if only for 10 minutes. IT was helping my migraines at first, I used to have about 3-4 migraines a month lasting about 3-4 days each, and it cut down to about 1 a month. Now it's starting to go back up to 2-3 migraines a month. So the migraines are starting to frequent again and I'm gaining weight like crazy, not sure it's worth it for me anymore.
  • peepsqueek
    peepsqueek Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with Gabapentin, I have been taking this medication since August when i pinched a nerve in my hip after making firewood :( then I stopped taking it for a bit when the nerve pain felt better but the doctor told me to start taking it again for my migraines and severe neck pain... ok the migraines have settled down and neck pain isn't as severe but since August 2013 to April 2014 I have put about 20 lbs on. I have less energy than I have ever had before and I feel like I am living my life in a mental haze with the dosage I was prescribed 600 mg three times a day which is way to much for me to think straight. I have cut back my dosage but it doesn't matter what I cut it back too I cant seem to lose a pound at all, I am counting my calories each day and eating healthier but it doesn't seem to matter my scale goes up two pounds drops two pounds very frustrating. So time to stop the meds and see what happens and maybe find an alternative if it flares up again.
  • Arkansas27
    Options
    I am new to this site and just started taking gabapentin (neurontin) 100mg at bed time for chronic leg pain, on top of Oxycontin 10mg every 12 hours along with Percocet 10/325 and I am small but have trouble with belly fat. When I was on the 100mg fentenyl patches (6 months) I gained 23 lbs and never weighed over 110, which I got off the patches and dropped back down to my normal weight. I do watch my carb intake as the only place I seem to gain is in my stomach. Now that my PCP put me on this Gabapentin (neurontin) 100mg at bed time, will I start gaining weight again? If so I'll not take it and this is my 1st night of taking one and I read blogs about mood swings, I sure don;t want either of that again as the Fentenyl made me a devil and gained more weight than 9 months pregnant. Please help, if this medication makes you gain weight I want to know and the side effects people have had, both are very important to me. I will stop taking this medication ASAP! And my doctor is aware I will before it gets started. Thanks for any help!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site and just started taking gabapentin (neurontin) 100mg at bed time for chronic leg pain, on top of Oxycontin 10mg every 12 hours along with Percocet 10/325 and I am small but have trouble with belly fat. When I was on the 100mg fentenyl patches (6 months) I gained 23 lbs and never weighed over 110, which I got off the patches and dropped back down to my normal weight. I do watch my carb intake as the only place I seem to gain is in my stomach. Now that my PCP put me on this Gabapentin (neurontin) 100mg at bed time, will I start gaining weight again? If so I'll not take it and this is my 1st night of taking one and I read blogs about mood swings, I sure don;t want either of that again as the Fentenyl made me a devil and gained more weight than 9 months pregnant. Please help, if this medication makes you gain weight I want to know and the side effects people have had, both are very important to me. I will stop taking this medication ASAP! And my doctor is aware I will before it gets started. Thanks for any help!

It is not in the same class as the other medications you mention. In addition, it is a tiny dose. Check again with your PCP and also check with your pharmacist. Most of the time, pharmacists are very helpful about these kinds of questions.
  • pattylynn727
    pattylynn727 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    After having successful lap band surgery 5 years ago and losing 60 lbs I had another baby. Since then I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I've been on gabapentin, indomethecin, valium, tramadol as well as a few other things. I now weigh more than I did post partum and its extremely frustrating. I originlly had the surgery due to health issues and secondary infertility. I'm now considering having the and removed and going for gastric bypass. I know I would definitely lose the weight that way and pray my pain would lessen.
  • Judyeckstein
    Options
    I also started taking gabapentin in August for disk pain in my neck and I have gained so much weight. It won't come off. I also get a little confused at times and I am really tired all of the time. Has anyone else had that side effect on this drug? I can barely move my feet off the ground at times.
  • CapitalCanuck
    Options
    Just a quick question. Why are you taking 10mg Oxy's and 10mg/325mg Percocet? You may be better off with just taking a 20mg Oxy, cut out the acetaminophen. I currently have 3 protruded discs in my back ranging from my L3-S1 with terrible sciatica and i was on Oxy's for months. I first started with 10s, then within 2 weeks was bumped to 20s. slowly but surely i winded up on 60mg 3xday to control my pain. Oxys made me feel great, but i would binge eat like a champ, not to mention smoking increased dramatically. I also had issues sleeping while on Oxys, so my GP prescribed me Zopiclone, which worked wonders at first but i would need a minimum of 7-8 hrs if i took one, as i would literally be in a coma. After about 5months i wanted off the oxys because i was gaining weight. So he weaned me off them over the course of 2 months. The final withdrawals were non existent because i was put on tramadol 37.5/325 which literally masked every W/D symptom associated with Oxys. I was then put on Gabapentin and right from the get go i noticed a huge difference in the pain reduction. It made me a little more groggy but Gaba has worked wonders for me so far. My only issue is that i find my dosage isn't high enough and I'm going through my script faster than normal. Im also afraid to have my dosage upped because i keep reading about terrible weight gain associated with high dosage of Gaba. Im currently 29yrs old, 180lbs and 5,10.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was reading up on it and it says weight gain is listed under "less common or rare" side effects. It also states that it should go away with time. Looks like you just have to wait till you adjust to it. The confusion is also a side effect of the drug as well along with the tiredness. A lot of these symptoms can be answered with a quick google search.
  • Debtastic12
    Options
    I have also been on Gabapentin since October 2013 for cervical spondylosis and fibromyalgia. I have gained 24lb even though i have always ate healthy, of course when my pain was at its worst i couldnt move let alone exercise. I have been taking 1800mg a day, 2x300mg morning, afternoon and night. It deffo increases the appetite.
    Now that my pain is under control and i have realised im better off being on my feet moving around ( which helps greatly with the neck pain) i have been weening myself off them and now down to 1 x300mg in the morning and 1 x 300mg at night. I have done this now for 4 weeks and have lost 4lb so there is deffo something connected to this drug.

I am going to reduce to 1 x 300mg per day from next week in hope that i can still manage and also get some of this horrible flab off . Also all the weight i have gained seems to be from the waist down :(
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    You should call your doctor about the face swelling......

"...A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (ESPECIALLY of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing...."
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I put on quite a lot of weight when I was taking gabapentin and found it very hard to lose. I asked to be switched to Cymbalta in the end (this was for neuropathic pain) which has fewer weight-gain side effects.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I took Gabapentin for about 18 months for fairly severe neuropathic pain from my back. I only stopped it in February this year after I'd had surgery. I gained maybe 30 lbs (I also stopped smoking so some of the weight gain has to be attributed to this) and am still struggling to loose it. I was extremely tired and hungry for most of the time I was on it. I don't think I would ever use it again unless I was desperate.
  • askimgeorge
    askimgeorge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hi .. I know this is an old post.. but I take gabapentin and I've put weight on
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was taking Gabapentin for fibromyalgia but it did not agree with me, but when I was taking it I started to put on weight...
  • chaseface89
    chaseface89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Had a pretty bad car accident where I got thrown 50 from the vehicle at 100mph. I have nerve avulsion at my L4/L5 vertebra which left me with dropfoot and unbearable neuropathy. After a long time in the hospital (3months+) on a cocktail of opiates that put me in a coma for literally 48 hours straight my 3rd doctor decided to try nerve meds. Even on the opiates I was screaming for more. Gabapentin started working but I was sleeping a ton from it at first. That went away when my body got used to it. Ive been on it now a little over a year and in addition to 300 mg Gaba 3x daily, I take 10 Mg of Baclophen 3x daily for foot cramps, and 1/2 a 100 mg of Elavil at night. That combo got rid of all of my pain in the day and still have a little at night but its bearable. As of a week ago I've been off all opiates. I gained about 40 lbs in 1 year. I am not able to hit the gym yet but I've been on a super strict diet. I feel like I eat healthier then a self-sustaining organic farmer. Over the past 6 months I've managed to drop from 189 to 165. I've been stuck here for about 3 months now. Haven't quite figured out if taking dosage down will do the trick or if Lyrica would have the opposite effect and help me lose weight. I'm about 5 10"/ 5 11" and still got about 20 lbs to lose. Will keep posted if the status quo changes.