What do people use and why?

Replies

• nikkiclaire123
    Options
    nike+
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like Runtastic but I've never heard of Runkeeper. I like it because it takes my weight and pace into consideration for calorie burns.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper!

I use to use MapMyRun, then tried Runtastic, but fell in love with RunKeeper.

They have awesome running / training schedules you can follow (some are free, some cost) but overall I love. I am doing an 8 week running program called Running 4 Fat Loss! Tracks everything, you can set goals, highlights personal records, LOVES IT :)
  • Port107
    Port107 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great question. I'm trying to decide between Runkeeper, Runtastic, and Mapmyrun. Hard decision.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper. It's free, tracks multiple parameters and is easy to use.

Runtastic is OK, does the job, but I hate the way they try to wring every single last penny out of you that they can.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper - it is free and easy and does what I need it to.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper! I also have Nike+, but Runkeeper seems to always work better, tracks by GPS, my weight, height ages ect., AND, automatically updates MFP on the days I use it.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper.
  • Memowe
    Memowe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper, but sometimes it gets oddly glitchy and will say I ran 20 miles with an average of a minute a mile, no idea why it does it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Neither. I use RunningAhead.com and TrainingPeaks.com.

ETA: I use them to record my runs. I ~track~ my runs with a Garmin GPS watch. Apps on my phone (1) use a lot of battery power and (2) require me to carry my phone when I'm running. I prefer to do neither.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What do people use and why?

A slightly broader response, I use a Garmin nowadays, but when I started tracking I used Runkeeper, I've also used Endomondo, Strava and Runtastic. Garmin Connect now sends my sessions to the former three and I do most of my analysis on Strava.

Strava - By far the best of those, but it's a bit expensive to get the most from it.
    Endomondo - Good training plan functionality, solid tracking and useful analytical tools on the website. Good social integration.
    Runkeeper - Solid and reliable, good social functionality. The website isn't the cleanest, and occasionally updates can lead to issues.
    Runtastic - I found it a battery hog and it's a bit full on trying to sell upgrades and bolt ons.

Subject to how serious your training is, Strava is my recommendation but if you're not going to get the best from that then Endonomdo or Runkeeper. I wouldn't recommend Runtastic.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I used Runtastic, then with the iOS8 update accidentally updated a bunch of apps when wanting to scroll up to top of page only and this app turned out to be the only one that you couldn't use at all on iOS7. Pissed me off and also their aggressive ads began to annoy me, so since I had been using the Pro, paid version for about a year, I figured it was all right to look at something else.

Now I use Strava and it works all right for free if you're not a total statistics nut. I got the monthly premium subscription for 6 USD/month. I don't use gyms or other paid health services right now so this expense I can live with. It's a bit cheaper if you commit to an annual fee, but I want to test this first before handing over such amounts of money.

I've heard good things about both Runkeeper and Endomondo, not so good stuff about Mapmyruns or whatever its name is. Strava doesn't have exercise plans built-in but you have to supply with another app or rely on your watch. On the other hand they have these goals and challenges which run both a full calendar month and other times (for both runners and cyclists), and I've signed up for two of them already.

Just research well prior to buying something. Think about your current interests and maybe also extrapolate a bit to what you might think of doing once you get more accomplished. I'm on the verge of being a real statistics lover and also I've been thinking about having a good bicycle lately. Give room to expand within the same service.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... if you're not a total statistics nut.

what are you trying to say?
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper, without a doubt.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    .... if you're not a total statistics nut.

what are you trying to say?
    *whistles* Oh nothing at all.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like Runkeeper because it lets you create routes and see the distance on the computer for free. The other apps you have to pay for that feature. So say if I want to up my run for 4 miles to 5 miles I can go on the computer first and experiment with different routes that will add that extra mile in.....then go outside and run it!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I like Runkeeper.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I've tried a TON and I prefer MapMyRun.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use my Zombies, Run app (tracks pace and distance AND has a cool scenario AND a little game you can play with the supplies you gather on your runs), but once I'm through with the scenarios, I'll likely use Runkeeper because I keep hearing awesome things about it.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Currently use Runtastic, but will definitely check out RunKeeper now.