everyone poops...

Options
So I've been doing my best following the p90x nutrition plan, and the fruit and carb servings are SO low! Unfortunately, this seems to have, uhmmm...backed me up a bit. Are there any fiber rich, low carb foods that I can eat? Or should I take a supplement? I feel so fat! Help!

Replies

• mjanet
    mjanet Posts: 54
    Options
    I actually drink green hot tea. That seems to keep things moving.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    High fiber foods are good. Hmm off the top of my head whole wheats, fresh vegetables.

You can try metamucil or benefiber. I think it says to drink two packets a day. It should help. I was put on a high fiber diet due to digestive issues and now get soo much of it. Roughagle also helps likes dark leafy green lettuce and veggies.

Things like diuretics examples would be alcohol, caffiene make people "go" but drink lots of water because it pulls water from your system. Must replenish :)
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am not that familiar with their diet program but I drink a green smoothie every day and I can assure it that helps a great deal :-) I do use fruit in it but also lots of greens. I don't know how restricted you are on your fruit and carbs.
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    beans
    bran
    half cup of peas
    figs
    broccoli
    apples
  • jlsironen
    jlsironen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Even if the carbs are a little higher, fruit is a good way to do it. Apples are a natural laxative, I'd go for whole ones (not apple sauce). Bananas can be constipating so beware!
    Also, they have a bad rep but are actually pretty decent, prunes are a great way to speed things along! Just be careful, once they kick in be ready. They're also high in Vit A, potassium and iron so double bonus!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    there are actually greens that are high fiber, and beans. plus miralax, and powders. broccolli is one green, and various veggies. my sister works at a gastro dr office. she says that they will put ppl on low fiber diets sometimes, meaning they exclude veggies. so eat alot of greens and beans. if you can sneak oats in they really help me.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    black coffee does it for me
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds are great and you can sprinkle them on anything. Of course more fruits and veggies help. I have a brother that could eat his weight in fruit and still have problems.

Ground flax seeds will get things moving.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    coffee!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    This topic title reminds me of that Family Guy Episode where they are potty training Stewie!
  • kristibag81
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this!!! I am struggling with the same issue now that I'm eating better and I'm just bloated and miserable from being backed up...
  • yvesstyvo
    Options
    I sprinkle some Psyllium Husk on my cereal each morning. If I miss out on it over a couple of days I really notice the difference. It does the job for me, but everyone is different.
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you are allowed some fruit then go for prunes, figs or pears. If I have a 'problem' I go for a fresh fig & pear salad (fig & pear chopped up with natural yogurt & honey) washed down with prune juice. Works every time!

I find salad (lettuce, cucumber & celery) helps keep me regular but doesn't 'fix' a problem effectively.

Are you drinking enough water? Water is essential to good bowel function. Drink lots.

I presume you are doing the P90 work out too - but a gentle to moderate walk can help the bowel (certainly does for my dogs!!)

Constipation can be very bad for you so if it is an immediate problem I would be inclined to break the diet and go for the prune, fig and pear combo then make sure you are getting the fibre and water you need.

if all else fails, Lactulose.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Had a similar problem myself this week, after 4 days I felt really sluggish, and I know a black coffee would do the trick but I hate coffee. I already eat at least 4 pieces of fruit a day but still nothing.
    What got me going, so to speak, was a mug of freshly boiled hot water with a slice of lemon in first thing before I ate or drank anything else. Supposed to be a good way to cleanse the system to start the day so I might make it a regular thing.
    Louise:wink:
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Try Allbran for breakfast with a chopped up bannana on top for 7 days :):smile:
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Celery :) best thing is its all natural and super low calorie!
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A bowl of high fiber cereal usually does the trick for me.