Constant weight loss comments

Options
I work with this person every second week and every time we work she comments on my weight loss. I am type of person who doesn't like attention so its now getting on my nerves. I now have more people at work commenting since my weight loss is more obvious and I just take it as compliment and move on. However this other co worker mentions it every time I sees me and saying ``things like you lost more weight``, don't lose all your butt now ``. I just feel like she is watching my body. would this annoy you

Replies

• pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That would annoy me too if it was every single day! She probably is having her own self-esteem issues and is not really sure what to do about them, so she makes snarky comments to you. Just ignore her and eventually she'll stop. If she doesn't get the hint, straight up tell her that she doesn't need to comment on your body every day.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would say something like "hon, I appreciate the compliments, but it's getting to where this makes me self conscious. Could we just not talk about weight and weight loss and focus on something else?"
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i would SMILE and say, "thank you for noticing. i have been working really hard to be healthy and fit. while i really appreciate the input, it makes me uncomfortable and i would appreciate it if you wouldn't mention it anymore. thanks!" then smile again and walk away. :smile:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You definitely would not be out of line asking her to stop. Especially if it's gotten to the point that it's making you uncomfortable.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You don't state the tone, so perhaps she's just trying to make friends and she *thinks* that she's complimenting you. I can understand that making constant references to your weight would start to grate pretty quickly, so it's just about how you shut it down. If there is any chance she's just being friendly and/or perhaps wants some tips as you are doing so well then I'd air very much on the side of kindly when you tell her you don't like it.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You don't state the tone, so perhaps she's just trying to make friends and she *thinks* that she's complimenting you. I can understand that making constant references to your weight would start to grate pretty quickly, so it's just about how you shut it down. If there is any chance she's just being friendly and/or perhaps wants some tips as you are doing so well then I'd air very much on the side of kindly when you tell her you don't like it.

she also go to the gym and she is shape so I know she doesn't want tips. She says it in friendly tone so she might be oblivious that its getting annoying so that's why I wanted to figure out a way to tell make her stop without coming off as being rude
  • markrichtsspraytan
    markrichtsspraytan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others in saying something but in a polite and friendly way. "Hey, I appreciate you noticing but I get kind of self-conscious when people comment on my body, do you think you could hold off on it? It would help me a lot."

It's possible she's in shape and wants to be "the hot one" so saying things like "don't lose your butt now!" might be trying to subtly discourage you. Or she could be actually friendly, I don't know her so I can't say.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I would say something like "hon, I appreciate the compliments, but it's getting to where this makes me self conscious. Could we just not talk about weight and weight loss and focus on something else?"
    Exactly! Tell her this because I suspect she probably thinks she's being helpful and trying to keep you motivated, but it's making you uncomfortable instead. Just tell her. I'm sure she'll understand.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

she also go to the gym and she is shape so I know she doesn't want tips. She says it in friendly tone so she might be oblivious that its getting annoying so that's why I wanted to figure out a way to tell make her stop without coming off as being rude

Sounds like she wants you to ask HER for tips. Or wants compliments herself then. I wondered what she looked like after reading initial post lol
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Sounds like she wants you to ask HER for tips. Or wants compliments herself then. I wondered what she looked like after reading initial post lol

Okay, ditto above, perhaps she's trying to lead the conversation back around to herself and how well she is doing. You know when someone asks whether you've been on holiday this year and before you've got half an answer out you're being bombarded with just how fabulous their exotic 5 star holiday was, perhaps this is the gym version of that! Or perhaps she wants a workout buddy, or to swap tips, maybe she things you are improving faster than she was/is?

You have two options really, direct or indirect. Depends partly on your relationship with her (and how genuine you feel her motives are), and what sort of person you are. Direct is the whole, "can we stop talking about my weight all the time as it is making me feel very self conscious" approach. I don't think it's going to be so much what you say but how you say it that will change the emphasis on that one. Or indirectly by just getting up and walking away, changing the subject, bouncing it back or starting up a conversation with someone else whenever she starts.