Meal replacement shakes 1 or 2x/day

Options
Anyone use meal replacement shakes for breakfast and/or another meal? I'm not a huge breakfast person, but can mix up a smoothie pretty quick! I have purchased a bunch of Shaklee over the past 6 months and like the product.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's so expensive, doesn't taste that good and you don't eat.

Not my cup of tea.

Fine for other people, though!
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks hate buying specialty shakes and what not. I say if they fit in your calorie goals and help you achieve the macros you've set for yourself, then go for it. Is the convenience worth the money? If so, then heck yeah.

I'm not much of a breakfast person either, so I just tend to skip breakfast. Well, not really, I just tend to eat lunch foods for breakfast around 1:00 in the afternoon.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you are consuming it as your main source of calories for a feeding doesn't that make it a meal ? I don't understand how it is a meal replacement. Maybe an alternative to chewing but it's still a meal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I usually have a meal replacement shake for lunch, and I swap 3 or so dinner meals per week with a shake. It took me ages to find one that wasn't loaded with sugar and other crap! I'm in Australia, we don't have the huge wonderful selection the U.S has :-(
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you are consuming it as your main source of calories for a feeding doesn't that make it a meal ? I don't understand how it is a meal replacement. Maybe an alternative to chewing but it's still a meal.

Yeah, but all that chewing..... Meh. It's hardly worth it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Camo, the shake I have only has 117 calories and it fills me up till the next meal.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've used Garden of Life Organic Raw Meal for breakfast for about 9 months. I use half a serving and mix it with other ingredients for a quick, filling smoothie in the morning. Great macros, fiber and vitamins to start the day. Also tried Vega Meal replacement.
  • Nataliecatalie93
    Options
    It's so much better for you to just have a smoothie with fruit and water/ coconut water/ almond milk. Add in some chia seeds. All natural.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Anyone use meal replacement shakes for breakfast and/or another meal? I'm not a huge breakfast person, but can mix up a smoothie pretty quick! I have purchased a bunch of Shaklee over the past 6 months and like the product.
    yes , i do this about 2x week.
    works for me.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Works for me as well especially on the run. Helps me control my intake. Not much to think about, I get what I need, and there are worse things out there I could be eating.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't drink my calories, I want real food.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Most days I make myself a shake for breakfast that I can sip throughout the morning as I'm not usually hungry until after I've been up for a few hours. I use a basic vanilla protein powder and blend it with coconut or almond milk, some fruit and a nice handful of spinach.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options

When I use them it's once per day for lunch.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks hate buying specialty shakes and what not. I say if they fit in your calorie goals and help you achieve the macros you've set for yourself, then go for it. Is the convenience worth the money? If so, then heck yeah.

I'm not much of a breakfast person either, so I just tend to skip breakfast. Well, not really, I just tend to eat lunch foods for breakfast around 1:00 in the afternoon.

i agree with this. i do I.F. and don't eat until after 12:00 noon. although a shake here & there won't hurt, and sometimes i really like them. esp choc w/ peanut butter & banana. yum! :smile:
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Yeah, but all that chewing..... Meh. It's hardly worth it.

But you burn so many calories when chewing... especially if it is foods that have negative calories.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I tried them in the past and was always hungry, and angry, I was so grumpy all the time and in the end I gave up. This time I'm just counting calories and it's working so much better.
  • Scarfy13
    Options
    Today is day 2 of me being on meal replacement shakes. I'm using the Slim Right shakes that I found at the supermarket. I'm planning on only using them for the next few days though, as I'm starting up Lite N Easy on Saturday. I figured maybe the shakes will get me jump started on my weight loss journey, and then I can focus on my healthier diet once my meal plan arrives. I've been mixing them with milk and a shot of coffee (for an extra kick - I'm a horrible morning person). With milk it comes in around 250 cal, which is so much better than my usual diet of take away and chocolates!

I'm using them for both breakfast and lunch at the moment, and I'm actually surprised with the results. I know it's only day 2, but I don't feel hungry and the shakes are a lot more filling than I thought they would be. But damn... I really look forward to my dinner - the one real meal a day I eat.
  • oviedojen
    Options

I think shakes are a great idea if you are busy, want something easy, will provide you with good nutrition and can help reduce craving/keep you full. I personally use one to replace dinner. I don't like eating after 6-7p! The shakes I drink are high in protein and other nutrients so I feel better having that vs. an entire meal.
  • stacybritt38
    stacybritt38 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing 2 a day. I was always skipping breakfast before and lunch was crackers or fast food. The ones I use are very tasty and filling. I say do what works for you. :)
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    I can't do shakes. It doesn't fill me up if I don't chew my food.

So I'll stick to my overnight oatmeal for breakfast and my slowcooker masterpiece dinners :wink: