Should I be running?

Options
On July 31 I broke my foot and was unable to walk without an orthotic boot for 6 weeks. On August 1 my husband and I bought our first home and I had all intentions of started my fitness program and C25K that day, except I had broken my foot the night before. After 6 weeks in an orthotic boot, I waited a week to see how I did and then the following week I started the C25k program. I wish I could say that I feel great, but I don't. My foot still hurts and I am favoring it a lot and putting more strain on my left leg and causing shin splints and knee pain. Although I'm only "running" a 17 minute mile, I'm thinking that maybe I should back off and just continue walking. Has anyone else ever been through something similar? Any recommendations? I am so eager to accomplish the C25k because I'm doing the Color Run November 15, but I don't want to cause more damage either. Thanks for input.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I would confer and clear everything with my doctor...
  • Shangibbs
    Shangibbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment tomorrow to talk to him. Just wishing things could be sooner :-(
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say?

Agreed. Only your doctor can give you this sort of information.
  • Shangibbs
    Options
    I am seeing my doctor tomorrow and will confer with him. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this and how they felt.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the "see your doctor" recommendations!

However, I broke my ankle a few years ago and had to have surgery, and cast, and boot for weeks on end! It was horrible. I broke my ankle in May and was not cleared to run until after Thanksgiving that same year. Honestly, it still hurt like the devil and I actually couldn't make myself run until after the first of the year - February actually. It's been 3+ years and it still hurts (at times) when I run/jog/walk.

Good luck with the doc!

For now, I would say keep walking (if you're approved to do so by Doc orders), and hang in there!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For now, I'd hold off on teh running.

And from my experience, colour runs aren't that fast, so dont worry too much about that, you can manage it just walking.
  • Shangibbs
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • Shangibbs
    Options
    I have done one 5k before and was more concerned about improving my time than anything. I may just have to be more laid back and "enjoy" the Color Run instead.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have done one 5k before and was more concerned about improving my time than anything. I may just have to be more laid back and "enjoy" the Color Run instead.
    This is the right attitude. :smile:

My personal opinion is that running shouldn't hurt. If it does, there's a problem. The fact that you favoring the foot is causing other issues is proof that you shouldn't be doing it.

Walk the Color Run, maybe jog small parts of it, but look at it more as an opportunity to have fun and enjoy the experience than try for a PR. Personally, I feel if you're trying to run those types of events as fast as you can then you're doing it "wrong". There are too many facets to slow down and enjoy, photo ops and slow people to dodge around, etc. There are plenty of more serious races that are a better fit for pushing for a PR.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If your foot still hurts, I'd be worried it may not have healed all the way. Personally, I wouldn't do ANYTHING on it until I'd seen the Doc again.