Long run recovery?

Options
Another thread got me thinking... How do YOU recover after a long run?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a protein shake while sitting in an ice bath followed by a 20 minute nap.

Sometimes a shower beer.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot. Try not to sit around too much. Get a good night's sleep. Take a rest day the following day.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Eat.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    After a really long run, like 3 hours, I'll have a recovery shake while I soak in the bath. After just a regular long run like 2 hours, I have coffee and eat a bunch of food. If I'm being good I'll foam roll later in the day.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. Proteins, carbs and yummy!! :)

I always foam roll morning and night but I will add a quick session after a long run.

That's about it :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Lots of water, a good streatch, a bit of food or chocolate milk, a hot bath with epsom salts, sleep.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I eat, take a shower and then go for a walk with my dogs. Sitting too much after a long run makes it worse for me.
    Stef.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    With another run :)

Seriously though the worst thing I can do after a long run is to sit down and do nothing for the rest of the day. When I keep busy (no matter how exhausted I am) I I never feel stiff or sore.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I stay active and drink lots of water. A nice walk a few hours after the marathon always helps. DO NOT sit for the day. Keep moving
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Eat, walk around, get on a massage table.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Another thread got me thinking... How do YOU recover after a long run?

It depends.

<8 miles: Nothing special. Shower. Hydrate. Eat what I need/want. Stretch. Might do this before work.

8-13 miles or less at a normal training pace: Glass of Hammer Recoverite or chocolate milk. Eat some protein. Just get on with normal activity, which usually includes some walking around. Foam roll, definitely after and possibly before.

Over 15 miles, really fast or hilly run, or after a half marathon race: Same as above, plus an ice bath. Foam roll before and after if possible.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Define "long run".
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Stretch. Sit down with friends for coffee. Try to eat some carbs and protein. Then the next day I always make sure to do an easy recovery run. This, more than anything, even if it hurts, will substantially alleviate the DOMS that typically appears on the following day.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Nice long shower, otherwise, nothing special that day, but I do a good recovery run the next day and eat TONS of food. I am never particularly hungry after a long run, but the next day, boy I can eat everything in sight!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I drink a recovery shake while I shower and then try to keep moving around the remainder of the day. I don't take a rest day the next day - I usually go to kickboxing and do a recovery run.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    <20mi: Go back to work, or stay active through the day
    20-30mi: nap, then a short walk (approx 1mi loop with the dogs.) Sometimes I work these days too (tomorrow I'll do 20 in the middle of my work day.)
    31-50+ Bourbon and coke, sometimes a beer lol.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    After a long training run: stretch, have breakfast.

After a race: stretch, go for a cool-down jog, then eat a huge plate of roast beef and drink half a bottle of wine.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Protein shake, breakfast, shower, relax and maybe nap. Then I have a couple beers and watching some football while icing my feet (if necessary).
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk .. can't get enough of this straight after a long (for me) run
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Small amount of food immediately after, followed by a full healthy meal an hour later. And a nap.

Of course, this is what I try to do, but sometimes, I forget to bring a snack for postrun, drive for an hour home after, and then eat a pint of ice cream when I get home instead :)