Nightime eating, is there a solution?

Options
Help!
I would like to know if there is any go to food or trick or even supplement that helps with appetite in the evenings? That's my undoing time. I usually do very well all day long.. then after dinner sun starts setting and I start to go on the prowl, looking for a fix (i sound like a drug addict, lol, not really funny ) I know i'm probably not really hungry but my brain is telling me if you just eat this peanut butter and jelly sandwich you will feel better or several oreos and chips will satisfy that craving, shut up that "need" inside me. I don't go to bed early usually stay up till 1130pm and I am up at 6am for kids (school time) so dinner is usually about 5:30 or 6 so I start looking for more food about 8 or 9.. I love air popcorn, and have found a lower fat way to eat it.. i cant believe its not butter spray, and some salt and cayenne pepper. I try to eat that no later than 8. so any thoughts, tips, tricks?? If you battled this what has worked for you?
thanks for any help!!
Kim

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My nighttime snack lately has been fudgesicles. They are only 80-100 calories, so it's easy to leave room for them in my food diary, and they satisfy my chocolate cravings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Plan it into your day just like any other meal or snack. Meal timing is largely irrelevant if that is what you're worried about. I always plan in a late night snack...because I enjoy them...just have to plan for the...EZPZ
  • BoutThatBass
    Options
    Two things have worked well for me:

1. Going to bed earlier - if I get the "OMG COOKIES NOW!!?!?" message from my brain, I'll take it as a sign that I need to go to sleep, and that's what I'll do instead of eating.
    2. Herbal teas - I have about a dozen different kinds, and I find that drinking tea at night has helped me get that "full" feeling I'm looking for without any calories. (Just make sure to get caffeine-free if you're drinking before bed!) Also, by having lots of different specialty flavors (chocolate peppermint, pomegranate, berry, green tea, white tea, you name it, I have it!), it helps with lots of different types of cravings.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well, stay busy or put more space between your feedings. There's nothing wrong with eating in the evenings so long as you're still w/ in your calorie range. So, you find out why you're eating. Are you bored or are you hungry? Adjust meal and activity plans accordingly...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    One of my lifetime blessings is that I don't like to eat at night after I've had some dinner and/or desert. If I choose desert, it's generally right after dinner.

Maybe work it into your calorie goal to have a desert around nine?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Instead, have a garden salad with light dressing, or a cup of fruit like blueberries or strawberries or something. You can eat, it's just a matter of what you eat and not overdoing the quantity. Also have a cup of hot herbal tea. it soothes your stomach.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    if this is an issue of eating food at a late time of day, that doesnt affect weight loss.

if this is an issue of going over your cals because of your night time snacking, then i think that leaving some calories for night time snacking is the solution.

i always eat late. dinner is at 1030ish for me. i love having my biggest meal late in the day.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I tend to always have my biggest meal in the evening as it is when I am the hungriest. I have smaller breakfasts and lunches so I can have a big dinner and I have enough calories left for an evening snack. I also have a glass of skimmed milk before bed (like a child lol)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    cut some calories out of your other meals and save them for evenings. i generally enjoy a bowl of cereal before bed without going over my calorie limit, but sometimes have a weighed serving of potato chips or cheese crunchies instead.

btw, do you weigh your unpopped kernels before putting them in your popper?
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I agree with planning it into your day...if you *know* you will eat later, may as well work it in, instead of setting yourself up to be upset about it after planning out your day. I stay up super late, and even though its not all the time, most of the time I end up eating something late at night.

I track my weekly average, not my daily...so as long as everything is within my goal, I consider it a win.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Save yourself 200 calories for after dinner.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    if you dont like eating at night, willpower is the solution. keep busy.

if you do like eating at night, like i do, you can fight yourself but there is no need unless you want to fight yourself for life. . just save some calories for night time and have things around that will be a satisfying way to fill them. if you like sweets, pre-portioned ice cream bars, or cocoa almonds (but always portion those unless you want to eat the whole can, and keep the can far away from the couch, trust me) are a couple of my favorites. if you like crunchy repetitive... trader joes savory mini thins, cheddar rocket crackers, or garlic pita chips are my favorite.

i portion everything into ziplocks as soon as i buy them, and sharpie the calories onto the bags so i know to just grab the right amount and never have the whole container sitting next to me.
  • da_bears1008
    Options
    You should plan around when you are usually hungry. I like eating larger meals, so I skip on breakfast (minus coffee because... uhhh coffee) and have larger lunches and dinners.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth earlier. Sends a signal to your mouth that it shouldn't eat anything more. After that, just drink water.

http://news.health.com/2012/08/08/curb-late-night-snacking/
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    Someone suggested saving calories for a bowl of cereal- if that's something you can do, Blue Diamond makes an Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk that's only 30 calories per cup or an almond milk with a touch of honey that's only 50 calories. They're lactose free and higher in calcium than real milk :) If you did the 30 calorie one and 1/2 a cup of Special K High Protein cereal, you would only be at 110 calories.

Or two servings of eggs whites (microwaved to make a patty) and one slice of real bacon (I also microwave to get the grease all off) would only be 90 calories total, give or take depending on brand.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I almost always save some calories for a night time snack, 150-200 calories usually. And I also have a favorite tea that I will drink when all of my calories are gone, but I'm still feeling "hungry". It's a nice spicy tea with sweet orange peel, so by itself it is nice and sweet, but the spice curbs the urge to eat. I also get in a lot of water in those hours to keep myself feeling full
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I always eat at night, I just save cals for it. I've found what also helps if I'm running low on cals is some hot tea. Makes my tummy warm, less grumbly and overall relaxes me before bed.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm like this too. I simply have smaller meals all day so I can save the bulk of my calories for dinner. I love heavy dinners. Its ok to eat a lot at night. The timing of your food does not matter at all.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested saving calories for a bowl of cereal- if that's something you can do, Blue Diamond makes an Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk that's only 30 calories per cup or an almond milk with a touch of honey that's only 50 calories. They're lactose free and higher in calcium than real milk :) If you did the 30 calorie one and 1/2 a cup of Special K High Protein cereal, you would only be at 110 calories.

Or two servings of eggs whites (microwaved to make a patty) and one slice of real bacon (I also microwave to get the grease all off) would only be 90 calories total, give or take depending on brand.

Why would you want to get all the grease off?
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Help!
    I would like to know if there is any go to food or trick or even supplement that helps with appetite in the evenings? That's my undoing time. I usually do very well all day long.. then after dinner sun starts setting and I start to go on the prowl, looking for a fix (i sound like a drug addict, lol, not really funny ) I know i'm probably not really hungry but my brain is telling me if you just eat this peanut butter and jelly sandwich you will feel better or several oreos and chips will satisfy that craving, shut up that "need" inside me. I don't go to bed early usually stay up till 1130pm and I am up at 6am for kids (school time) so dinner is usually about 5:30 or 6 so I start looking for more food about 8 or 9.. I love air popcorn, and have found a lower fat way to eat it.. i cant believe its not butter spray, and some salt and cayenne pepper. I try to eat that no later than 8. so any thoughts, tips, tricks?? If you battled this what has worked for you?
    thanks for any help!!
    Kim

No REAL reason not to eat whenever you want to eat, so that said save your calories to eat at night... either start eating later in the day, say noon or have your breakfast and then dinner, but save lunch for that late night eating.