can't lose weight

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for years, and the result is I gain more. I am 265 Ibs now 5'5. Even though I feel I have a beaitiful face thank God, I look in the mirror to find it hidden under fat :( my face is no longer defined and when I sit , I see myself as a big round ball.
My body is so stubborn from too much yoying. I don't know what to do.

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Small steps. Feel free to add me.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simple. Eat less and move more. The trick for me to get out of the diet yo yo was when I came to understand that one should never go on a diet. One should develop a good diet and follow it for a lifetime. To start out simply set up MFP. When I started I set it to lose .5 a week and never changed it. Step two is to start logging EVERYTHING you eat. Step three is to eat in such a way you do not exceed your calorie goals.

The fact that you posted her I assume you have done step one. Now simply start logging. Don't beat yourself up if you go over, just know that you can do better. Then simply work towards doing better. To be effective weight loss is a SLOW process. When I began at 260 pounds I decided if I got to 230 I would be happy. When I got there I shot for 220, etc. and I am now at 190 and have been maintaining since January of this year. For reference 6'1" male so 190 is where I want to stay.

In the beginning I said it was simple. It is not necessarily easy. Once you accept this is a slow process of relearning a lifestyle by eliminating years of bad habits you will realize you got this. Good Luck.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yoyoing can really mess with you. I had to change my thinking pattern before I could lose weight and keep it off. I am not on a diet. I have made life changes to improve my health. I need to make my life better one day at a time without worrying about yesterday. You can do it but remember there is no finish line to improving you and your life.
  • taracangel
    taracangel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nicely said JoeCWV! :bigsmile:
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    you have to exercise, count calories, weigh your food ... and use a heart rate monitor to count the calories you've burned.

feel free to add me :)
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are, I thought it was impossible (I yo-yo'd a lot, each time gaining back more than I lose). This time I'm far more successful than anything I've ever tried in the past, and I'm not depriving myself of anything.

The best suggestion I can give is to be 100% honest with logging foods, weigh everything. (Weigh everything you can, make your best guess if you are out eating, etc) If you are working out, don't trust MFP's calculator, it overestimates for nearly everyone. There are no good foods and bad foods, most people don't need a special diet to make it work, eat in moderation, try to make better choices and don't buy into any diet fads or bad science.

I also have a registered dietitian working with me this time, if you have insurance, more than likely it is covered (it is way cheaper for an insurance company to pay for a RD than the complications of obesity, hence why it is almost always covered). Working out isn't required, you can lose weight by just eating less, but working out does make it easier.

Edit: Grammar
  • Tanicrt
    Tanicrt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same its like i started at 180 then 2 babies later im at 203.00 then i said i would never get over 210, a new job later im a 221.00 it is so discouraging, its like i dont have the will power to find a program and stick to it, i i have a lot of knowledge about healhty weight loss but dont apply any of it and dont know where to start.....please help me
  • Monna2
    Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support guys :)
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It really is all about a change in mindset. Everyone can say eat less, move more, but what caused the weight gain to begin with? Get a team together to help you; nutritionist, a psychologist, perhaps something like WW where you are held accountable might help. Until I learned WHY I mindlessly ate, I couldn't drop a pound to save my life! Good Luck, you CAN do it! :flowerforyou:
    (edited to fix typo)
  • panda_butt
    panda_butt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to exercise. Weight loss is mostly from diet. Weigh all your food and stick to a deficit in calories. You should try the ketogenic diet. It really does help with weight loss. :)
  • hephnerc
    hephnerc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I started out on here at 147 trying to lose about 15 pounds due to my height. I said I would never get over 150. I was at 151 once before but was younger and more active it was easy to get back down to my goal weight. Now that I am a teacher it seems like a little snack here and there along with my normal meals has caused me to go up to 157. I keep trying to lose weight but it seems like every time I step on the scale the number gets higher and higher. Obesity runs in my family and I am trying to prevent myself from getting to that point. If you can help please let me know. Add me as a friend on here since I only have 3 friends on here.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It just finally clicked for me. I think you just really have to get in the right mindset to just follow through with it. I was yo-yoing for years. This time around I just got fed up and it seems a lot easier than it was before. You don't need to limit yourself from anything. You have eat what you want, just in moderation. Weight loss is just a deficit. Just eat less calories than your body burns. Buy a food scale, use it, start out with simple exercises if you want.
  • bluwingsskies
    bluwingsskies Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been gaining and losing weight 3-7 pounds at a time. I wish I could stop this pattern. I am now at my highest weight. Please let me know what you do to stop snacking or binging.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try harder
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you tell yourself you can't, then you can't.

Second of all, the most important thing you can do is NOT QUIT.

I know that sounds patronizing, but it really isn't. The only way to fail is to quit.

The next most important thing is to KEEP IT SIMPLE. Barring a health condition, there is no need to cut out any food, food group, or to create such a large calorie deficit that it makes you miserable all the time.

Plug your numbers into MFP, eat at the deficit it says. Eat whatever you want, within that deficit.

Exercise, if you can/want, is great, because it helps create a calorie deficit. Try different kinds until you find something you like.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight for years, and the result is I gain more. I am 265 Ibs now 5'5. Even though I feel I have a beaitiful face thank God, I look in the mirror to find it hidden under fat :( my face is no longer defined and when I sit , I see myself as a big round ball. My body is so stubborn from too much yoying. I don't know what to do.
    Losing weight is a physical process but the obstacles are mental. “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ― Henry Ford
  • Monna2
    Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you, guys.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to exercise. Weight loss is mostly from diet. Weigh all your food and stick to a deficit in calories. You should try the ketogenic diet. It really does help with weight loss. :)

Agreed you dont need to exercise, but it will help with how your body looks when the weight drops off. You can always walk or swim.
    I would keep it simple. eat your regular foods and log it. then after awhile you will start to make some changes. When you start to reduce your calories you will start to see the weight loss. Also dont do anything drastic, in the end you get fed up and put the weight back on. Good luck x
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    You can do this alone, but you will have a better chance for success if you do it with friends. Add me if you want.

I lost 75 pounds in 18 months and kept it off for about 3 years. I have done Atkins, Weight Watchers, and counting calories...I still do all three to mix up the diet a bit but it all boils down to calories in vs. calories out. I cook and have some great recipes that my wife and kids like as well.

Good luck!