Addicted to SUGAR!!!!! Need motivation to begin working out

Options
Hi, I'm Jane and I'm new to this website. My biggest problem (I think) is my constant sugar cravings. It's ridiculous! Who cares about chips, chocolate, or bon bons, not me, just give me some SUGAR! I just switched jobs to a much less stressful one and with it comes a free gym membership. The girl I work with is going to take me with her the next time she goes so I can get familiar with the equipment, etc. My hope is that once I start working out, I will feel better, crave sugar less and lost weight! That's my hope anyway! If anyone has any tips for me, I would certainly welcome them! :smile:

Replies

• mekoroberts
    Options
    Hey there,

If I were you I would look into natural sugar substitutes. Your taste buds will take some time to get used to them but it's worth it. Welcome to the site!!!!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, I totally relate!

It's really tough for me as well. Luckily, I've never "added" sugar to things (like coffee) but I do LOVE sweets and candy (my dad is a sales consultant for a candy company- that's not good). I have found that once I have a little, I can't stop! So I have to really cut out the sweets and sweet things (besides fruit), which sucks. If I do want sweets, I just have to recognize that I will crave even more all day. If I'm up for that challenge, I'll do it, but it usually doesnt end as successfully as the days when I avoids sugary things completely.

Anyways, I have little else to offer besides moral support (hope that's still good!)
  • catofisis
    Options
    Hi I am Cat and also new here! I think with sugar cravings, the less you eat, the less you crave. I remember trying Atkins a few years back and I had to stop after 3 days due to sugar withdrawal. Headaches, dizziness, nausea...however since I had to cut down on sugar 2 1/2 months ago for my health, I crave less (I think you got to phase it out rather than cut it out!)

One tip I have is, if you take sugar in tea/coffee then replace this with Agave Nectar. It's low G.I. and tastes pretty sweet (I don't like the taste of aspartame)
  • kbhelton
    kbhelton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi jane. i am katie. i've just started using myfitnesspal the past two weeks and am loving it. for a long time i was on the sugar cycle. just in the past year or two do i really feel i've broken out of it. i've found what ultimately works best for me is to eat almost no sugar. (unless it is a very special occasion i don't eat any sugar except some dark chocolate--maybe an ounce a few times a week.) you just have to suck it up and break out of the cycle. i'd recommend eating fruits and lots of nuts and raw veggies. just keep trying things until you find what works for you. two of the best things i've found for me are oatmeal in the morning and in the afternoon a granny smith apple and almonds. another treat i indulge in are different kinds of teas, unsweet of course. my favorite right now is good earth original. it is a great winter tea.

while it doesn't sound fun to think of not eating sugar, you will feel so much better. it will definitely be worth it. good luck. i hope your new regimen goes well.

katie
  • ruddyrunner
    Options
    I don't really have sugar advice, but for exercise motivation:

Find a 5K Walk/Run coming up this spring and sign up now. For most people, this is a very attainable goal, especially doing it as a walk. Plus, you're entry fee will probably go to support a good cause. Get friends/family/coworkers to sign up too; having an event to prepare for will help keep your motivation up.
  • Janes777
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words and tips! I will definitely try all your suggestions and let you know how it goes!
  • tanekag77
    Options
    sugar is a hard one but just like prev. posts stated- try sugar subs(stevia,agave,splenda). i try to keep sugar free gum w. me at all times-gives me a sweet taste w.o getting something totally bad and loaded w. emply calories. no one said this weight loss thing is easy-but remember-its all in how bad u want it( so go get it!!!). best of luck 2 ya !
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sugar has been my demon as well. I have cut all, except in my morning coffee. But I fight the craving!!!!