Where nobody knows your name

Options
redscylla
redscylla Posts: 211 Member
Today I had an unexpected NSV. It's one of my fast days, and there's a huge guest lecture lunch at work, so to keep myself on track, I ran down to the quickie mart in the basement of my building to buy a pack of sugar free gum. In the past, I have been intimately familiar with this quickie mart and its employees. I used to go down there 3 or 4 times a week to buy a King Size Kit Kat, to be eaten in one sitting, by me alone. All the employees knew me. Today, the girl at the register was someone I'd never seen before. And she didn't know me. I was just a random customer buying gum, because it's been more than 2 months since the last time I went down and bought a King Size Kit Kat. For some reason, it feels like a triumph. I'm a stranger at the quickie mart now. It makes me wonder, would anybody at my favorite pizza place remember me, now that I haven't gone there for carry out in 2 months? Or my old coffee shop, where I used to get coffee with cream and 8 teaspoons of sugar, along with a pair of buttery croissants. Do they wonder what happened to me, when I went there so religiously for the last 4 years?

How about you? Are there food places you used to go to so often that the employees probably thought you died when you stopped showing up?

Replies

• zenyacleveland
    zenyacleveland Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yay to you hun!
    It is a victory :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the, "I thought you moved" comment once or twice from employees who hadn't seen me for awhile.
  • Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    lol. This isn't a NSV, or a V of any kind....but I used to go to the same park to hike and started to get friendly with the caretaker. He was a little old man who would talk to me about the weather or the breeding patterns of the falcons that nest there. Anyways, I encountered two rattlesnakes there in one night while hiking and have not been back in the past two months. I always drive by there wondering if the caretaker thought I died or moved....as the weather cools, I will return to hike, so it will be a reunion of sorts. :)
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you get the " hey do I know you" after you have lost the weight.

My reply was .....Yes Mom you know me
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Not the same but similar; I like the fact no one at the doctor's office knows me :wink:
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    lol. This isn't a NSV, or a V of any kind....but I used to go to the same park to hike and started to get friendly with the caretaker. He was a little old man who would talk to me about the weather or the breeding patterns of the falcons that nest there. Anyways, I encountered two rattlesnakes there in one night while hiking and have not been back in the past two months. I always drive by there wondering if the caretaker thought I died or moved....as the weather cools, I will return to hike, so it will be a reunion of sorts. :)

False, this is a victory if you feel encouraged by it. It takes far too long in health and wellness to see big results, so don't undermine the little things.
  • Candaroo
    Candaroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you read that wrong. The PP was saying her own story was not a NSV or a V, not that the OP's story wasn't....

And good for you OP!
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you get the " hey do I know you" after you have lost the weight.

LOL...that's funny. I hope I get that with my family (and my best friend's family that has adopted me as a stray) when I see them all at Thanksgiving!
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I think I look the same as I always have, just a bit smaller, but I've had the 'hey do I know you?' thing happen a few times.
    More recently a close friend was looking through an album and pointed at a photo of me & asked 'who's this? I don't think I know her.'

And OP- I used to manage a shop with lots of regulars. If one suddenly stopped showing up, I wondered what happened to them.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Too funny. Yeah, my place is Pizza Hut. They used to know me by name and what I'd get every single time. Now, new crew and I'm only there once a month or so - weird, but nice.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Well, when you go have your reunion with the caretaker, that'll be your NSV. And I get the snake anxiety. The dog park where I love to go has copperheads, so we have to tread carefully. If I actually saw one, I might be put off visiting for a while, too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    That is a really cool NSV! Thank you for sharing it :-)

Most of the places I used to haunt have closed down in my area (like Blimpie and Mr Goodcents), or were destroyed in a tornado. I really never had what I'd refer to as a binge eating issue -- but there was a time 7-8 yrs ago when I worked in an office alone and at least twice per week, when I would fax in my order for lunch delivery to Mr Goodcents it was a footlong sub with mayo & cheese, 1-2 huge cookies and a Diet Coke. The owners knew me by that order so if it was still in business they would be surprised to see me now I'm sure especially with my order of a half sub w/ tons of veggies and either no cookie or splitting a cookie with my husband.

Oh and Starbucks. We broke up ;-P I used to have a personalized gold card I would reload frequently, and a penchant for white chocolate mochas on my way home from work several times a week. I cut up my gold card and have been to Starbucks just twice in the past year and a half.

Last night I went to my new favorite coffee shop with a friend...I always order a huge cold brew, black. Last night I had saved up enough calories to get a special mocha they're doing for Oct to benefit breast cancer awareness charities. I ordered and the barista was so surprised, and she told me so...LOL
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i am flying next week, first time in FOREVER that i am not at all freaked out about the seat belt size. i will board that plane knowing for sure it will fit without some olympian act of sucking in my stomach and then wondering if i would be able to breath thru the entire flight!
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options

False, this is a victory if you feel encouraged by it. It takes far too long in health and wellness to see big results, so don't undermine the little things. .

OP, that's a great NSV!

I live in a tiny town that has a great diner a block from my house and a Mexican joint that's off the chain. I'm sure if I darkened their doors they'd ask me where I've been for so long. I sure do miss that Pollo Fondido!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Oh, I just love those blank stares when I say "Hi" to people I've known for years....... makes me feel like kicking my heels up in the air. Congratulations to you - fantastic motivator !
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    New to this community... what does NSV stand for?
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    New to this community... what does NSV stand for?
    Non Scale Victory
  • coconutlove93
    coconutlove93 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It stands for "non scale victory" :)
  • marioinCT
    marioinCT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well done, Red!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    That's a lovely NSV.

On another note - I went to baja fresh after not being there for a year (I used to order food for work all the time) and the guy behind the counter asked me how I've been doing as I haven't been there in so long.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!