Quick family dinners

Options
I figured I would reach out to all you fine folks and see how you busy people handle weekday family meals. I usually don't get home from work until 6pm and I frantically try to feed my 16 mo and only occasionally manage to eat as a family. I want to change this as she gets older. What are your go-to quick meals or prep tips? Crock pot doesn't work as we're out of the house for about 10-11 hours. My usual meals are grilled/broiled chicken or steak with veggies or salad, quick pasta dishes, or frozen hot dogs or hamburgers. I need more options!

Replies

• 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love my crockpot....invest in one that is programmable! it will be a complete godsend!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Trust me on this..

Make an instagram account and follow @LowCalFoodie

They post so many different food options, but only options with the lowest calorie content

You can combine the options they give and make meals out of it!

Just an idea!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Tacos is always a go to here... as well as baked chicken breasts, sometimes breaded sometimes not.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Crockpot is perfect if out of the house 10-11 hours. It means you can put the meat in frozen and let'er rip. I tend to do chicken breasts/thighs this way, they come out tender and delicious. Also, whole pork or beef roasts, etc.
  • jannthompson
    jannthompson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Due to my work schedule slow cooker meals never worked for me either. What I ended up doing (when the meals allow for it) is I will cook the meal in the slow cooker during the night while we are asleep and throw it in the fridge when we wake up. That way when I get home from work all we need to do is re-heat. It helped broaden what meals fit into our busy schedule.
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Crockpot is perfect if out of the house 10-11 hours. It means you can put the meat in frozen and let'er rip. I tend to do chicken breasts/thighs this way, they come out tender and delicious. Also, whole pork or beef roasts, etc.

I use to be totally against crockpot use but I have really changed my mind. Ours can be set to 10 hours slow cook so check it out.

Grilled pork chops, baked chicken, grilled chicken, chicken and rice, pork chops and rice, taco's, spaghetti, breakfast for dinner.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I've never tried putting it in still frozen, that might help. Any time I've tried using the crock pot for 10+ hours it just comes out really dry, overcooked, or even burnt.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I usually take one day every couple-3 weeks and COOK! Today I had 3 crockpots going, one each: Chicken breasts, pork tenderloin and Reuben Soup. I also did a large Eye of Round Roast in my NuWave Oven. All portioned out and in the freezer. I did a double batch of yogurt and 44 (11 portions) zucchini ravioli with "homemade" tomato sauce. (I so cheat this; a can of diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil tossed with a bit more garlic and some basil...then pureed) Each day I only have to take the proper portion of meat out and add it to...whatever. (salad, veggies, stirfry, etc....) On super busy days, I have premade MEALS in the Ravioli or Soup. I started this morning at 0900 and it's all done (noon here), well, except for the yogurt which has to "cook" for 11-12 hours, it'll go in the refrigerator later tonight. Aside from prep (an hour at most) and portioning (maybe another half an hour) I am not slaving over the stove all day and I have meals, or at least meal starters (the hard part), for the next couple weeks. It's what works for me for "Quick and easy."
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I can set my crockpot on low for 10 hours - best roast ever! Another thing that really helps for quick preparation is making things in bulk in advance. I have been known to cook 6 lbs of chicken at a time (put frozen breasts in in the crock pot with taco seasoning and salsa for 10 hours. When it is cooked, it shreds so easily and is tender and tasty!) . We use half or 1/3 of it, then I freeze the rest for chicken tacos, chicken enchiladas, chicken salad, etc. (I know, it seems like a lot, but I've got 5 boys and a husband. We go through an insane amount of food around here!) I've done the same with ground beef (with onions, a little garlic, salt and pepper) in the crock pot, but you kind of need to be around to stir it or else you end up with one dense meatloaf, then I can use it for tacos, beef stroganoff, etc. Cooking in bulk and in advance really helps me out!
    Good luck!
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We do spaghetti with whole wheat pasta, breakfast for dinner (omelets with tons of veggies!!), and we grill a lot (fish/chicken). Another thing I try to do to save on time is I make my menu every Saturday, which helps me stick to a manageable shopping list and I can plan for the week. So then, while the hubby is grilling whatever is for dinner on Sunday, I'll have him cook up a half dozen or so chicken breasts for the rest of the week.
  • CarlsbergLewis
    CarlsbergLewis Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    as a busy chef i would say a lovely quick meal is cous cous and chicken.

just butterfly the chicken and griddle it, takes no mose than 8 minutes as youve reduced the cooking time by butterflying it.
    and also, anthony warral thompson does a cous cous range, £1 for 2 servings and its lush!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I agree with you on starting from frozen, and also that this is the perfect amount of time for pork and beef roasts. I haven't had luck with chicken breasts in the crockpot for that long, I usually find them dry when I return.

I am actually trying today frozen chicken breasts (like 8 of them), a bag of frozen corn kernels, taco seasoning, juice of two limes, can of rotel, and cilantro. I'm having the babysitter turn it to warm when she gets there with my son, so I think it will be about 7.5 hours on low, which I hope will be ok.

I'm going to shred that and serve it tonight over rice ala Chipotle bowls, but will use the leftovers for enchilada filling for some freezer meals I need to make for some families going through tough times. I also use this filling for tortilla soup quite often.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    We mostly do meat, potato and veg type meals. They only take about 30 minutes to cook. I buy McCormick's marinade packets or throw together some easy homemade marinade (takes 5 min tops) in the morning, add the meat so it can soak all day. When I come home, I line a 9x13 baking pan with foil, place the meat evenly in the dish and then cook for 20-30 minutes (depending on what it is). While that's cooking, I boil potatoes or make a rice pilaf and also boil some broccoli or green beans. Voila. Done!

Fish is the quickest dinner. I buy a pound or so of haddock/cod, top that with a little miracle whip (or mayo) and cover with a snack bag of salt and vinegar kettle chips that have been crushed up. Bake that at 350 for about 12 minutes. Meanwhile cook a bag of rice in the microwave and throw together a Caesar salad and dinner's on the table in no time.

On the weekends, I sometimes will put together a casserole so it's ready to cook during the week. There's also spaghetti or American Chop Suey, which doesn't take too long.

I'm also thinking about asking for a crock pot with timer for Christmas. I don't mind putting frozen meat in but things still end up a little tough or overcooked at times.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy, yummy way to get loads of vegetables into your meal: There is a bit of chopping involved, but you could buy the veggies pre-chopped. Let's call it "Veggie/Protein Scramble". For the protein, brown 1 pound lean ground meat (beef, turkey, sausage, etc), tempeh, or tofu and set aside. In a large skillet, add some olive oil and saute a good amount of onion and garlic, then add lots of chopped veggies. The other night I gathered the following from the garden to use: kohlrabi, beets, carrots, potatoes, summer squash, bok choi, basil, and various dark leafy greens, including the beet greens. Add the veggies to the pan with those needing the longest cooking time first and the greens last. After the last addition, add some dried oregano and a little Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce), cover and simmer until veggies are soft. Stir in the protein and serve. This usually makes enough for leftovers!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    OP I am in the same boat as you - I leave early in the morning and get home around 6 or 6:30. I have a 3 year old and 6 year old who are both moderately picky, they will try the family meal but would far prefer I make them grilled cheese or scrambled eggs every night for dinner. There are nights where it is easier for me to go ahead and feed them and then make a less kid friendly meal for my husband and I to eat later, but the kids are getting older so their bed time is a little later and that often puts us at eating around 8:30 or 9:00 which I don't like for myself.

So anyway, here are some of the things I do. As I mentioned above and someone else did as well - cooking in bulk. On the weekends, making chicken breasts in the crockpot to shred and use as fillings in a variety of other meals later on. I also buy and cook family packs of ground beef, then portion it into about 1 lb servings in ziplock bags to throw in the freezer. This is the perfect amount to throw in a skillet for tacos, or into spaghetti sauce, or (heaven forbid) a box of Hamburger Helper (which my kids eat like champs).

I make stir fry a lot, because my kids will eat the components even if they won't eat the whole thing all together. So I will cook the chicken and veggies in a pan, then pull some out for the kids before putting the sauce in. Then I serve them the rice (which they love just plain) with the plain chicken, snow peas and carrots for example. Then I give them a small serving of the full meal with the sauce and ask them to try it plain first, then with the sauce and see which they like better. I've had some good luck with that, they've opted on a number of occasions to eat the actual coconut curry chicken or sweet and sour chicken rather than just the rice, meat and veggies.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I just thought of another one. Do you have a panini press? We will do panini's quite often, because then everyone can have what they want. The kids just want grilled cheese, I want turkey or chicken breast with pesto and roasted red peppers, my husband can make whatever kind of sandwich he's in the mood for. I find that good bread and a panini press (or even just making it in a skillet) makes any sandwich taste much better.
  • rachelrb85
    Options
    These are some great suggestions so far :love:
  • rachelrb85
    Options
    I just thought of another one. Do you have a panini press? We will do panini's quite often, because then everyone can have what they want. The kids just want grilled cheese, I want turkey or chicken breast with pesto and roasted red peppers, my husband can make whatever kind of sandwich he's in the mood for. I find that good bread and a panini press (or even just making it in a skillet) makes any sandwich taste much better.

I do have a panini press, but unfortunately my husband is even more picky than my toddler! He's not big on turkey or chicken sandwiches, but we do make grilled cheese once in a blue moon.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I agree with you on starting from frozen, and also that this is the perfect amount of time for pork and beef roasts. I haven't had luck with chicken breasts in the crockpot for that long, I usually find them dry when I return.

I am actually trying today frozen chicken breasts (like 8 of them), a bag of frozen corn kernels, taco seasoning, juice of two limes, can of rotel, and cilantro. I'm having the babysitter turn it to warm when she gets there with my son, so I think it will be about 7.5 hours on low, which I hope will be ok.

I'm going to shred that and serve it tonight over rice ala Chipotle bowls, but will use the leftovers for enchilada filling for some freezer meals I need to make for some families going through tough times. I also use this filling for tortilla soup quite often.

This sounds good, will have to give it a try, thanks
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of once a month cooking? Do an internet search and see if it is something that would fit for you. You take one weekend a month and cook up a lot of meals(quadruple servings) and freeze them. Then, all you have to do is reheat and serve.