Weight Llifting Question

Options
I am going to join a gym this weekend and beginning Sunday I will be working 12 hour shifts 4 days a week. I am looking to work my arms, chest, shoulders and back on the days I work with about 1/2 hour of cardio thrown in at the end. I don't want to kill myself I just want to gain some strength and definition. I am looking for suggestions of types of lifts . workouts to start off with. I am a beginner so please explain your suggestions.

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    with what you have stated.
    I would highly recommend something like StrongLifts 5x5 to start with.
    Do it at least 3 or 4 months.

Another program that is supposed to be good is Starting Strength.

Get your diet right also.
    Since you said you want to be "defined"....then you will prolly want to be in a caloric deficit.

So get the right amount of calories, and the right amt. of macros.

Good Luck
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts is decent. Why don't you want to work your legs?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ^Agree with the above. Make the "big lifts" the core of your workouts:

Deadlifts
    Barbell Squats
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press
    Rows
    Dips
    Chin Ups or Pull Ups

Accessory work like Bicep Curls are fine but the above should be what 80% of your lifts consist of.

Also note when doing the big lifts you really need good form as you'll be moving some weight which can increase your injury risk if you're not doing them right. Starting Strength is an EXCELLENT book that I always suggest to anyone who's interested in Barbell lifts.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    StrongLifts is decent. Why don't you want to work your legs?

I thought that also.
    But something like SL 5x5 includes it.....so hopefully OP will do them.

@OP
    Don't neglect legs. They are a HUGE muscle group.
    Many benefits from doing them
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't want to kill myself

Not to be mean, but then why bother??? I know I am probably taking this out of context, but losing weight, gaining strength, putting on muscle, getting to be a better, fitter you all takes HARD WORK! If you aren't willing to put in the work then you are better off just eating and doing what you want! Again if I took the comment out of context I apologize, it just gets frustrating to see people going through the motions.

Side note, stonglifts 5X5 great place to start, and like Mity and others have said don't avoid legs, they are the cement foundation you build everything else off of!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    with what you have stated.
    I would highly recommend something like StrongLifts 5x5 to start with.
    Do it at least 3 or 4 months.

Another program that is supposed to be good is Starting Strength.

Get your diet right also.
    Since you said you want to be "defined"....then you will prolly want to be in a caloric deficit.

So get the right amount of calories, and the right amt. of macros.

Good Luck

Just echoing Mity. Perfect plan to start with.
  • monzter
    monzter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another vote for StrongLifts ....Just got back in the gym after a 3 month layoff and that's always my go to workout. i'll do it for the next 2 months before switching it up.

Just listen to your body and rest when you need to. As much as i love to "kill myself" in the gym (lifting heavy is what I enjoy the most), I don't want to go through another hernia surgery (had one done last year). Not fun.

Good luck!
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input.

To address some of the comments, I'm not focusing on legs because my cardio will be bike riding. I am not against hard work, dedication and all the big and little changes necessary for a healthier lifestyle. When I say I don't want to kill myself I mean to say that I work a physical job 12 hours at a time. I need to be able to work, work out, sleep and repeat four days at a go.

Thanks again!!! :smile:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input.

To address some of the comments, I'm not focusing on legs because my cardio will be bike riding. I am not against hard work, dedication and all the big and little changes necessary for a healthier lifestyle. When I say I don't want to kill myself I mean to say that I work a physical job 12 hours at a time. I need to be able to work, work out, sleep and repeat four days at a go.

Thanks again!!! :smile:

Take it from a competitive cyclist, you still want to have leg days.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Cardio is something else.

People are asking why you specifically want to avoid legs and back in your lifting?

I mean, I understand, that stuff is hard. Far harder than arms, but why avoid it? SL5x5 will be best for you.

3 times a week you'll be lifting, each session will start with Squats, then added in there will be overhead press, bench press, rows, and deadlifts. Squats and deads get your body producing the hormones needed to optimally activate and build/rebuild muscle. Avoiding them impedes your strength progress significantly.

Really, with those 5 you can do a lot, add in pull ups, dips and you're starting to get something built to make you stronger. Honestly though, it's going to be a lot of hard work, sweat, maybe a little puke and or blood. You have to commit.

Also, keep in mind, this dude avoids leg day:
    buff6.jpg

How asymmetrically sad is that?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I do legs.....
    And I think I am in the same boat as that guy in your pic. :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry:

I do two days of legs.....along w/ deadlifts.....
    I have freaking chicken legs....HATE IT
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Cardio is something else.

People are asking why you specifically want to avoid legs and back in your lifting?

I mean, I understand, that stuff is hard. Far harder than arms, but why avoid it? SL5x5 will be best for you.

3 times a week you'll be lifting, each session will start with Squats, then added in there will be overhead press, bench press, rows, and deadlifts. Squats and deads get your body producing the hormones needed to optimally activate and build/rebuild muscle. Avoiding them impedes your strength progress significantly.

Really, with those 5 you can do a lot, add in pull ups, dips and you're starting to get something built to make you stronger. Honestly though, it's going to be a lot of hard work, sweat, maybe a little puke and or blood. You have to commit.

Also, keep in mind, this dude avoids leg day:
    buff6.jpg

How asymmetrically sad is that?

You can't see his quads. He may lift legs.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Good news! :happy: I just thought I would share...

http://www.biospace.com/news_story.aspx?StoryID=348632&full=1

Lifting Weights Can Improve Your Memory, Georgia Tech Study
  • jfmorrison
    jfmorrison Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is pretty good and easy. It's a lot of legs though
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

You can't see his quads. He may lift legs.

May, but with those baby calves? Doubtful. My d is thicker than those.