Walking Dead Fitness Challenge Starts Oct 12th

Options
Cindyinpg
Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
This is an OPEN fitness challenge based on Season 5, Part 1 of The Walking Dead. Players will compete in fitness challenges based upon each week's episode while they work towards their own personal goals. Starts October 12th, 2014. This will be an open group, team wins and MVP awards will be based on participation. Join up, choose to play Advanced, Intermediate or Beginner, pick a Walking Dead character, make some friends, get fit and enjoy the show
Group is here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/23925-walking-dead-fitness-challenge
Instructions are here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1464783-how-do-i-get-started-and-other-q-a-s

Replies

• Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to join this challenge!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    This looks SUPER fun and much more geared toward my goals than a "weight loss" challenge. I don't see anything about weigh-ins...can I assume that's not part of the program? Because that would seal the deal for sure.

Can you give general guidelines about what criteria we should use to self-select our level? I think I'm intermediate but don't want to get in over my head.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    This looks SUPER fun and much more geared toward my goals than a "weight loss" challenge. I don't see anything about weigh-ins...can I assume that's not part of the program? Because that would seal the deal for sure.

Can you give general guidelines about what criteria we should use to self-select our level? I think I'm intermediate but don't want to get in over my head.
    Yes. No weigh ins! This challenge is suitable for any personal goal. If that's weight loss, participants are free to weigh themselves and use that as a measure of their success, but many of the participants are just interested in increasing their fitness level. Team wins will be based on participation, not weight loss. The more consistent everyone in a team is, the better chance the team has of winning. Your goals are to meet minimum number of cardio and strength training minutes every week while keeping within your own calorie goals. Some people might be working for gains, others eating at a deficit... you get points for meeting your goals.
    Advanced will probably start at around a minimum of 60 minutes of strength training and 90 cardio per week. Intermediate and beginner will be 10 and 20 minutes less. We start light and do increases most weeks. There will akso be random additions: punishments and rewards based on the weekly challenges and what happens on the show.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    This may be something I would be interested in.
    I really have no time to go out and walk or such... I do have 30 day shred at home, and some fitness blender videos I have been meaning to start.. would those work for the cardio and strenght? I only have I think 2 5lb weight snad 2 3lb weights also...

I dont want to drag my team down... but I do log everyday so I "should" be ok to keep up and follow?
    Would you recommend beginner for me? the videos are about 10-30 mins each depending and I could maybe work in 2-3 times a week
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    This may be something I would be interested in.
    I really have no time to go out and walk or such... I do have 30 day shred at home, and some fitness blender videos I have been meaning to start.. would those work for the cardio and strenght? I only have I think 2 5lb weight snad 2 3lb weights also...

I dont want to drag my team down... but I do log everyday so I "should" be ok to keep up and follow?
    Would you recommend beginner for me? the videos are about 10-30 mins each depending and I could maybe work in 2-3 times a week
    Sure. Start in with the beginners. They'll start with a weekly of minimum of 40 minutes weight training and 70 cardio. As long as you are doing the minimums and staying within your calorie goals, you are making maximum points for your team. Anything you do over minimums might get you MVP status which makes you immune from punishments if you are on a losing team that week...???? And, of course, there will be random additions every week. Like punishment burpees assigned by winning teams or character related assignments. Players are always allowed to modify any exercise for their fitness level.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    This should be interesting.. I have never done any of these challenges before. Think I will sign up and see what happens!
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Looking for The Walking Dead fans for a fitness challenge!
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Nearly 40 members already. ???? We have many returning players and some brand new MFP'ers.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Bump.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Another bump. 60 Members already. ????
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    83 members and growing.... ????
  • ZombieSwimmer
    Options
    I looked at your links... forgive me if I overlooked this but.... how do I know if I should be beginner or intermediate? Is there something that has some sort of requirements?
    PS - If we eat brains, should we log that as food or cardio?
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

But....

I am getting married November 1, so I might be a bit lax the week prior to and after that. Is this something that can be worked around in any way?
  • ZombieSwimmer
    Options
    bump
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    I'm in!

But....

I am getting married November 1, so I might be a bit lax the week prior to and after that. Is this something that can be worked around in any way?
    Yes. If you need to take an absence or have a busy week planned, just let your team captain know in advance. ????
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    I looked at your links... forgive me if I overlooked this but.... how do I know if I should be beginner or intermediate? Is there something that has some sort of requirements?
    PS - If we eat brains, should we log that as food or cardio?
    Just choose the level you're most comfortable with. And if you have to chase the brains, I'd say cardio. ????
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Bump.????
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    One more week until we start. ????
  • LouLouBeans
    Options
    Bouncing with excitement over here. :bigsmile:
  • Cindyinpg