calf cramps and sore muscles.

Options
Hi everyone !!! Can I get anyone to give me some advice on lengthening my calves. They ache all the time!! I walk at lunch time every day and I do squats. I also ride mountain bikes cross trail weekly (50 Miles average) my calf muscles always:sad: hurt like I have never exercised a day in my life. I am drinking 8 to ten glasses of water every day. I gave up all sodas completely 40 days ago.

Replies

• Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    maybe you need some potassium have some bananas
  • janellyf
    janellyf Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I battled muscle pain for years. I talked with my doctor and had lots of blood work done to check my electrolytes and various levels. I do daily stretching exercises and take the following supplements:
    magnesium, potassium and calcium.
    They do seem to really help.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    One cannot lengthen their muscles. Try doing some calf stretches and also avoid wearing high heels, as they (temporarily) shorten up the achilles tendons and make them super tight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    stretch and make sure you're getting enough potassium. Also, too low of sodium intake can also cause cramping. If you're drinking a lot of water and not replacing electrolytes, that is likely the culprit.
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try Vitamin D and make sure you stretch before doing any exercise. Vitamin D really helped me a lot. I was getting cramps in my calves and feet. Hope that helps!
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    See a doctor? Could be a structural/postural imbalance causing your calves to compensate. Stretch, foam roll...

Also - massage. I always recommend massage!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I battled muscle pain for years. I talked with my doctor and had lots of blood work done to check my electrolytes and various levels. I do daily stretching exercises and take the following supplements:
    magnesium, potassium and calcium.
    They do seem to really help.

Just an FYI, one should not supplement potassium unless there is truly a deficiency as per blood work...potassium supplementation should only be done under supervision of a health care professional.

OP, Potassium is readily available with food if you know what to eat...just google high potassium foods.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling is great for the calf pain too! I have the pain almost every day and when I've used them (lower body day) to an extreme, they kill me. I foam roll every day those muscles. They kill too, but afterwards, it feels warmed like blood is rushing into them after I've done the foam rolling. And they don't hurt as much. Keep that up for a while each day and see if it doesn't help.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I went through a time where I would get calf cramps/Charlie horses all the time. When I upped my calcium, they went away. Maybe something to think about? Also, are you stretching your calves after exercise? Stretching helps minimize soreness quite a bit for me. Often I will stop whenever I pass a staircase and stand with my toes on the closest stair, then drop my heels for a few seconds. Great way to stretch your Achilles tendons and calves. It was a must when I was dealing with painful plantar fasciitis.
    Good luck!
  • pethelpersfindahome
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!! I don"t take any supplements and all my last check up all came back healthy I don't eat a lot of salty foods or dairy products so maybe time for a multi-vitamin :) Can someone explain the foam rolling you suggested? I have started stretching then on the stairs in the morning for a few minutes. I usually do alot of bicycling but have taken a break this past month. and am trying to get moving again .
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain the foam rolling you suggested?

Easier to understand when you can see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6aiK6C1HXs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6aiK6C1HXs

Obviously you'll need to have a foam roller. I think this is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Density-Foam-Rollers/dp/B0040NJOA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412361757&sr=8-1&keywords=foam+roller
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find the best results from hourly stretching, holding for 30 seconds. Hourly is the key. Also wear shoes without a raised heel, like Keds, Converse, skate shoes, etc. If you must wear shoes with a raised heel, wear a night splint while you sleep, to stretch your calves.