Progress: Husband on Board

Options
I have to say, the longer you do something, the more it grows on you.

I have been trying to lose weight for a while now - gym memberships, trainer, etc... but MFP has really helped me with the food bit (I have never 'dieted').

My husband (well, boyfriend of 16 years...) has been known to be an enabler to my weight gain. I was thin when we met, our habits were never great - my body rebelled, his stayed stick thin. Every time I've tried to lose weight, it has been a struggle for him to understand that I can't eat the junk he does, like he does. He works oddball hours, and eats take out at all hours. I have asked him several times to please eat at the diner and not bring it home (because my will power was non-existent). The best / worse night of my overweight life, was one night, he had worked until 2am, and stopped by a local eatery to pick up a poutine (fries, cheese and gravy). Family size of course. He came home, turned on the light (which woke me up) and handed me a fork. Of course, I sat up, took a few fork-fuls, then went back to sleep.

I paid for that at the gym the next day.

Since then, its been a trying time to get him to understand that I can't eat like he does - and by him always offering it tempts me (if he doesn't offer, I am usually ok). Tonight was the first time he came home with chips, asked me if I had any calories left in my day and if I wanted a few chips (he even brought a small bowl into my office so I wasn't dipping into the bag).

I am proud of his progress to take this seriously - and support me (without treating me like a child - which was the stage between the late night poutine and tonight).

Yay for progress!

Replies

• jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Congrats on winning him over. I'm sure it'll make things go more smoothly.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    been there and glad to say done that. hubby is on board too and is 6 ft 4 in and weighs 185 and is muscular and couldnt understand at first, now he will say, if i have some calories of course, do you want some, i will say no, and thats the end of it. thank goodness they get on board, that helps even more.
  • Tipring
    Tipring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    that is fantastic. My hubby is being supportive as well. Notices if he is pressuring me into try a new candy that he brought home for the boys to try. I have to say, I am proud of my will power because I usually say no. But having the other half take notice and support our actions makes life so much easier.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That is awesome.... but I loved how you described the poutine as the 'best / worst' moment :) Ah, poutine is like that.

My husband is pretty supportive too, although he sometimes ingests whole frozen pizzas at 10 pm (like he did last night)... but overall, he really wants to eat heathier and is happy when I cook healthy food with lots of veggies!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yay! I have a hubby that is over 6 feet tall and is never over 165 lbs. And he eats like crap! Funny how part of the 'dating/romance' part of relationships circle around food. Scott brings home McDonald's at 3 am when he's off work.... although poutine sounds so yummy right now!
    But, he is getting on board now too! He eats the veggies I cook so our daughters see a good example. And his pants size did go up 2 sizes in the last 5 years (He was at 155!). He will also turn 40 in just over a year. So now he has started reading labels and praising my progress. :bigsmile:

So winning the husband support feels like one of the tougher victories, I'm glad you got him on your side!