WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• loruddy
    loruddy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    had a good day, kept to my target calories. finding it hard to keep my head in the present, have a lot of emotional difficulties to overcome. I don't work out on Thursdays, so no exercise today.
    Lorraine, Kent in England
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's almost noon already and I've accomplished diddly-squat! It was raining this morning, so I drove the kids to school. Middle DGD was sad because she didn't get to see the cats, and she wore her kitty socks to show them and everything, so we stopped at the curb and she and I got out (it was just sprinkling by then, and one kitty came out for her to pet and she took off her shoe to show him her sock. I could not tell that he was impressed, but she thought he was. It was really cute. Hubby thinks I'm a pushover, but I can't see how it hurt anything and made her very happy. I live for happy grandchildren, after all.

Spent about 45 minutes at the Y doing the weight machines, then drove to the mall to do some walking. Somehow (maybe it was some wetness on my shoes) my feet kept catching on the linoleum tile floor and I nearly fell on my face. It happened several times and I finally decided to stop before I hurt myself. I only got in about 2,000 steps, so will have to find time later to do more. I came to the studio, intending to finish my drafting bill and get it sent out, but instead I finished an audiobook. Somehow I can't do anything while listening to a book, except play computer games.

This afternoon I go to Joplin to paint with my friends. Maybe I can find a place to walk some more there.

Katla, fingers crossed that hubby has an easy recovery!

DrKatieBug, my hubby once had a vision problem that the doctor called an "occular headache". He had no pain at all. That was several years ago and it has not happened again.

Today's joke of the day is long, but may be worth it if you are a cat person. I thought it was funny:

:happy:

Day 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

Day 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded; must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

Day 762 - Slept all day so that I could annoy my captors with sleep deprivation, incessant pleas for food at all hours of the night.

Day 767 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

Day 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture.This time, however, it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid? My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

Day 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer." More importantly I overheard that my
    confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

Day 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and may be snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant. He has mastered their frightful tongue, something akin to mole speak, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal, room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...

:laugh:

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    grrrrrr` very frustrating when we have cra--y internet service and a cra--y modem to boot.
    I am trying to watch a video of a t.v. show and it keeps stopping every 1-3 seconds , i finally gave up.. now if I was down in florida with the DH wouldnt have a problem ,we have comcast down there and it just is blazing compared to this..
    still plugged in,no wi-fi and it is just stupid, but so long as hubbys computer works it works for him:huh:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Today I did treadmill. My knee is still bugging me so I stopped after 31 minutes, wanted to do more.????. I got a late start today, I've skimmed the posts.

Sylvia, love the cat's point of view!????

I hope everyone has a good day. Take care of yourselves.

Cindy in OK
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Goals for October and my word of the month.:smile:

My word: Integrity- The state of being honest and fair. I picked this word because I feel I have integrity. If I say I will do something for you, you know it will be done. I keep my promises and very seldom ever let anyone down. Except for myself...I am the only person I let down and don't keep my word to. This, I promise to work on.

Social - Call my nephew and join Yoga class

Physical - Commit to strength training twice a week and cardio at least 30 minutes 6 days a week.

Intellectual - Catch up and maintain Nutrition class, take the three day Live Strong Y Cancer class.

Emotional - Give myself a break and learn to say no to other's when I need to put myself first.

Spiritual - Pray daily, Yoga, and try at least one church out in the month of October. I really miss going to church and would love to find one I am comfortable in.
  • pam1056
    pam1056 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • debbieb0415
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to My fitness. I started my new life on Sept 29. I have been on the same diet for 2 yrs before and lost 90 lbs. Then I got very sick and gained back 25. I'm not going back to the old me, so I'm starting again. Same diet plan with a twist to help me restore my broken down muscle and lower the bad stuff. So far so good. I lost 8 lb mostly constipation and water I'm sure, but I'm feeling so much better. It's very hard for me to do much exercise, but I'm determined to get this weight off. I've seem the "WALL" and I'm not going back. My new dr is right with me and very supportive. I looked into the surgery thing and it's just not for me. I know I can do this.

Hope to meet some new friends here. I'm 57, married 40 yrs come Feb, have 2 grown wonderful sons. I'm a Christian and I love God and being active at church. I have had a past of illness' that have gotten me where I am weight wise. That is doing better so I'm going to fix me so I can travel and garden my 4 and 5th loves. :love: Hope to hear from you soon. Debbie
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy October dear ladies!

Once again I have been MIA but this time I am determined to be back for good! I have managed to put back on 20 of the original 60 pounds that I lost so I am renewing my commitment to MFP and all of you here. I start my new classes next week-Criminology, Sociology and another dreaded math class. I am a hoping to continue my streak of making Dean's list but up until now have only been doing two, not three classes at once. Plus now I am working three days a week in the office at a children's museum. I am still working on October goals and I really like Maryann's SPIES idea! One goal for sure is to check in here daily to give and get support and friendship!

Hugs to all!

Kathy in cloudy IL
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Kathy, if you need help with math, I am here for you. Seriously!

Cut the grass today and rocked the steps on the fitbit. Yes, it has told me loud and clear that I have been sitting on my butt too much.

Rita, my heart hurts for you. I've been where you are in more ways than one. We are here to help you get through it as best we can.

Carol, I got knocked off my bike by a car when I was in college. My mama may still not know about it! You have a lot on your plate right now, too. Hugs!

So many more are hurting and struggling that I need to mention by name, but there is no time. Know that I said a little prayer for you as I read your post.

Thanks to all who commented on the migraine without pain. Yes, the ocular (spelling?) migraine is exactly how it felt. Luckily it was gone after a good night's sleep.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD: I hope you find wonderful property in WA. What part of Washington are you thinking about? :flowerforyou:

Heather: You are doing a great job seeing the sights of New York. I can hardly wait to read what comes next! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Lesley: Good news from your doctor. It looks like your doing well and getting good medical support.:flowerforyou:

Rita: You’ve been having a rough time lately. I’m glad you stopped by and hope you’ll drop in more often. You have friends here who care about you, and I’m one of them.:flowerforyou:

Newbies: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Come back often for support and to get to know people.:flowerforyou:

Carol: Enjoy what time you can with your son. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Is this a joke, or a real segment of a cat’s journal? :huh: It rings so true…:wink::laugh:

Thanks to everyone who asked about DH. He’s upstairs sleeping in a chair at this moment. Surgery went well, but he had to stay in the hospital a little longer than he’d hoped so they could be sure his bladder got back into business properly. Evidently bladder problems are something that happens with surgery to this part of the lower back. He had to stay in the hospital until he wasn’t holding back liquid. There was another patient in his room with the same surgery and same issue. DH is at home sleeping in a chair upstairs at this moment.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. We do sound a very busy group, don't we? Many of us still have children at home, and are also caring for parents. And I'm not sure of everyone's personal situations, but it might be that some of us care for family with disabilities. I have an adult son at home, Rory, who is blind and has Asperger's Syndrome and epilepsy. We go to the local YMCA together, and he has a personal trainer once a week. It has been fantastic for us both.

Got my 500 kcals burned yesterday with a combination of very brisk walking/jogging with my German Shepherd and a series of squats at home. Today I'll be taking Rory to the gym, walking the dog, and a slow Pilates class.

And yesterday, I fixed my own washing machine!

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    KATIA so glad you DH is home with you. Worry about bills later.

I have to post my meals and exercise for today Friday. Have decided to do Wii boxing, Tabata, and walk the dog. I washed all our clothes in basket and washing our bed-sheets and dog's doona covers and will clean house.

Stan was supposed to go fishing at 6am but he has trapped his sciatic nerve and came back to bed. Then dog decided she was sleeping with us too.

My dietition had to charge me $100 as my doctor forgot to do a care plan in time. Worth it though as learned heaps. Care plan in place for next visit.

My doctor questioned me about referring someone. I could not think then remembered my daft neighbour saying she did not like her doctor and who did I go to. Well apparently she told my doctor I had referred her. NOT happy as cannot stand the woman. She is 66 and cannot understand most her problems in her head. Now doctor thinks I referred her argh NOT!!!

OK better check my meals

Lesley in Tasmania
  • Aug312014
    Aug312014 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello from Auggie in the San Francisco Bay Area,

Weather is bright and shinny here today...a bit too hot. Pray for rain for California --our wonderful fruit, nut, and vegetable fields need it so badly, including the wine country.

I met my goal in Sept.....2 lb. loss per week -my 1st month here : ) I owe it too the MFP calorie counter and my supportive friends. Thank you, it is working! Yay!

Best to all in Oct.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    Sharing good news:bigsmile: .I got home from work today and learned I won a $100 gas card. I had signed up for a drawing at the state fair. The booth was promoting checking your tire pressure to save gas. Just by making sure your tires are at the correct pressure you can save 3% on your gas. It was sponsored by the Minnesota pollution control. Made my day!

Heather Happy Birthday! Glad you are having a great time in New York City.
    MNMargaret
  • Aug312014
    Aug312014 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Margaret, that's fantastic! Congratulations.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Another quiet work day in my office. We had several inches of rain; Lincoln which is 50 miles away got 9”! It’s supposed to rain again tonight. Managed to get my steps and exercise and water in.

Heather: great pic! You look like you are having a good time. MOMA is awesome. Happy birthday!

Katla: sending get well kidney wishes to DH! Im sorry he is having to spend another night in the hospital…later….good news on the renal account. I’m glad he is progressing

Cynthia: hope you get some rest and feel more like yourself! Glad your puppy was not bad off.

Patty: sounds like you are a bit….flustered….out of sorts….drained? I hope you get back to yourself also!

Beth: OMgosh that is one terrible migraine. I hope your son gets relief soon! I hope the new aides work out as well. Sometimes people make mistakes and do need a second chance.

Rita: I am with you on feeling bad after exercising! I hurt all over all the time and it is very discouraging. Keep plugging away; things will be different when you recover from your operation.

Carol: Register for the draft???? I must be dumb I didn’t realize we still had the draft.

Sylvia: what a darling story about your DGD!

Kathy: nice to see you !!!

DrKatie: glad the migraine is gone

Margaret: a gas card is always welcome with the price these days! Congrats!

OK off to try to accomplish something. Welcome newbies. Take care, Meg from dreary Omaha ( but I like it)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, today's numbers are not quite as good as yesterday.

October 2nd
    Steps 4179
    Miles, 1.74

In my defense, we had torrential rain all day.

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: Katla, I am so happy to hear that your hubby is home from the hospital and that the reason they kept him was a sort of normal side effect and not something serious or dangerous.

:cry: I spent over an hour today at the dentist plus getting x-rays of my whole mouth. I have a terrible gag reflex and all my teeth so the x-rays were the worst part.

:cry: The new computer won't be here until the middle of next week and then we go away for four days so it will probably not be set up until Monday the 13th. Sharing the computer is "an opportunity for spiritual growth".

:bigsmile: Welcome to everyone who is new---please keep coming back.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends ~

Heather: Happy Birthday. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I’ve never been to Le Bernadin, but I think I’ve seen the handsome owner on programs with Anthony Bourdain. Hope you are enjoying every moment in the Big Apple.

Rita: Sending you warm thoughts and best wishes :heart: . Hope this is just a rough patch. Please keep coming back to this community and soaking up the strength and inspiration here. Always good to see you.

Lesley: Thanks for mentioning Tabata. I used to do Tabata on recumbent bike or in a series of body weight strength exercises my trainer programmed into my Kindle. Think I’ll do that workout tomorrow AM. :smile:

Katla: You sound so happy to have DH home.:love: He’s lucky to have you caring for him.

Sylvia: My little Lion Boy, Mars, thanks you for the cat joke. :laugh:

Meg and Vicki: Tomorrow I’m driving to North Platte for a couple days of work. Will think of you both while I’m in your fair state. :happy: Heard that there are some great antique stores in NP.

Early this AM I had strength training with my trainer.:tongue: Late this afternoon I had a one hour therapeutic massage, so right nowI feel strong and pain free. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Re artificial sweeteners: I can't tolerate stevia. :noway: Monk fruit and agave syrup (a drop goes a long way) are my sweeteners of choice.

Past my bedtime...:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: G'night all.

Stay well. Stay strong. We CAN do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

October goals:
    > Minimize consumption of alcohol to two servings per week
    > Register for and attend 50% of Master's swim course
    > Once a week, call someone just to say hello
    > Make plans for how I will use up my remaining paid vacation days
    Word for 2014 = Release
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Your post really spoke to me. I am a preacher's kid, married to some one who could care less if I went to church and I eventually got used to doing other things on Sundays and then just stopped going. I have MS and it was easy to just say I wasn't feeling good that day. Mom died knowing I wasn't going to church and I know it broke her heart but I was stubborn mainly because I was to embarassed to go back. I felt like that church was my home church and I wasn't going to go anywhere else. We were married there, both our girls were married there, both of them were baptized there. It was my church and I just could not make myself to face those people and have them ask where I had been. Well my diet actually helped me in that. I knew from checking on the internet all the time that the church had made some changes. The main service was a contemporary service, A traditional service was at 8:30 AM. I do not do 8:30 AM. My body just doesn't do it at all. Then I went to a zumba class that was held there. It was in the old sanctuary!!!!! That sacred place where I had watched my sweet girls be baptized and all of us were married at that same alter. And now they are doing some very suggestive moves in the zumba class! I knew then that it was OK to let go of this misguided thought that was holding me to that church. Soon after I found another church that completely suited me. It is as traditional as traditional goes. I am so much happier and know that my parents are watching me and are shedding tears of joy.

Joyce, Indiana