Need healthy meal ideas. HELP!

Options
Hello all! I'm in sort of a rut. I do consider myself a good cook and baker, but now that I'm changing my eating habits, I need to change how I cook as well. Can you give me some good healthy family-type meal ideas? Also, I'd love some go-to websites that have great healthy meal ideas as well. We are a family of 6 (4 kids, hubby and I.) Thank you!

Replies

• KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    my favorites are eatingwell.com and healthyliving.com Good luck! I also love steamer bags for frozen vegis that way I just pop one in the microwave, spray a pan with pam throw on a chicken breast then throw it all together and I am set. Also check out hungrygirl.com she has some cheap easy items on there. Good luck feel free to friend me or email me or both. I have tons of ideas just too tired to think of them all right now. Hugs and best of luck!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Tanutsi
    Options
    Try lowfatlifestyle.com. Foodnetwork.com also has some healthy stuff, and also eatingwell.com. Good luck!
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    www.eatbetteramerica.com

http://400caloriesorless.com/

www.allrecipies.com has a section for healthy recipies
  • wannabahotmama
    Options
    Hey, the easiest healthy meal I've ever made is put a pack of boneless skinless chicken breast in the crockpot and pour a large jar of salsa on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. You can make is really spicy with a hot sauce or just do mild. I make yellow or brown rice with it. It's really good and so easy.

Also dwlz.com has lots of healthy recipes. I found it when I joined Weight Watchers.
  • jennydehn
    jennydehn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight and had two big soup bowls and still kept my dinner under 300 cals. :)

Ingredients
    Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breast Tenders - Frozen, 16 oz. 400 cals
    Naturally Low Sodium Soy Sauce, 4 Tbsp 40 cals
    Costco - Mango Salsa, 1 1/4 cup 200 cals
    Baby Carrots, 2 c 70
    Canned Green Beans, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 70
    Garlic - Vegetable - 4 Cloves 19
    All Natural - Chicken Stock, 1 container (4 cups ea.) 40

Total: 859
    Per Serving: 143 (6 hearty servings)

I also added garlic salt and onion powder to spice things up, and if you want it spicy, a little crushed red pepper does the trick. Next time I might also add some Carribean jerk seasoning and pineapple. Bon appetite!
  • jennydehn
    jennydehn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OH sorry, I put it in a crockpot on medium for about 5 hours, since the chicken was frozen and the baby carrots were whole. Then you can shred the chicken and voila!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have started a blog where I put recipes of what we eat on there. :) Its new but we post every day. http://imnochef.blogspot.com and I have found low calorie recipes on http://www.allrecipe.com .
  • caroline1851
    Options
    A friend of mine just gave me this recipe and it's super easy and yummy and low fat. In a crockpot, put 3-4 chicken breasts, a large jar of salsa, a can of rinsed black beans and a can of drained corn. I hate the idea of setting it at low and cooking alllllll day, so i set it at high and cook it for 4 hours. Yummy!
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's not about completely changing what you eat, it is about eating the same things with healthier options. I think it was yesterday, someone posted a topic in the nutrition section entitled about your favorite "intead of". For example, 2% cheese instead of regular, 2% milk or soy instead of whole, and other lighter options. Also, check out greenlitebites.com. SOmeone else posted that and I checked it out and actually printed a few of the recipes =). I hope you find some of this information helpful and good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • jojuvanlaanen
    jojuvanlaanen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I'm noticing a lot of crockpot meals with chicken, and they sound delicious! Do you put the meat in a tortilla?

Are there any good recipies with pork? Or even like a stew or a roast?