Sodium Intake

Options
So, for the second day in a row, I've went over my sodium intake. Is it seriously unbeneficial for my diet to keep doing this? It isn't by much, but I have gone in the negetives a few times.

Replies

• Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium will cause you to store more water, therefore looking like your weight loss is slower. People with heart problems and high blood pressure are told to keep their intake low.

Hope it helps,

Ben.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Both sodium and/or potassium overdoses are very dangerous to the heart. You're playing with fire! :)
    Stay away from: processed or prepared foods, lunch meats and cheeses as much as possible. Use herbs for seasoning instead of salt. If the first 4 items on any label are salt or sodium, don't buy that product (all ingredients are listed in order of quantity by regulation of the FDA.

Claire
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I never put salt on anything, and will certainly try to stay away from "high sodium foods" to lower my sodium intake, I don't want to keep going over my sodium intake this week. :)
  • jlay777
    jlay777 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try buying foods that have a maximum sodium count that is double the calories. I read it somewhere, and it has really helped me to keep my sodium intake down.
  • spencer72
    Options
    As long as your not dumping salt on everything you eat, as you mentioned you aren't doing. Stay on that water girl, you'll be fine! Keep hydrated and your body will be able to deal with it, it'll help you work up a good sweat on your next workout too.
  • bdavis1
    bdavis1 Posts: 13
    Options
    that sounds like good advise. Do you happen to know anything about protein? I seem to go over the protein max everyday.
  • navvs15
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. And I do drink plenty of water, it's usually all I ever drink. I'm doing way better about my sodium intake than the last couple of days, I actually have 1,620 grams of sodium left this evening.

bdavis1 - I don't know nearly enough about protein as I should, but I don't seem to get enough of it a day. Besides the days I have nutrition bars and protein shakes -- or consuming higher amounts of meat. But those are usually only consumed on my high workout days. I wouldn't think going over the maximum protein intake could cause you any problems though. It's very good when it comes to building muscle!!
  • navvs15
    Options
    Oh, bdavis1, your question got me thinking. About the protein that is. So I did a simple google search, but I guess over doing it on the protein can be harmful to the body. In one article says if you're consuming 30% more protein than you actually need -- it could hurt you. But as long as you're not seriously over doing it (such as being in the negative five hundreds everyday, I don't think it would be that big of a problem.

Here's the articles I read:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/798549/can_you_eat_too_much_protein_the_health.html?cat=5

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • spencer72
    Options
    Bdavis1: Your question about protein is a good one. It's vital to the repair and building of muscle in the body, which after exercise we all need! I don;t know your exact stats (height and weight) but a good approximation of your baseline need for protein can be found here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/caltp.htm

Enter your weight and hit CONVERT
    This finds your weight in Kilograms
    Go to step three, for an average female a rate of .08 to 1.0 is normal. raise this to 1.2 if you're actively lifting weights or doing a lot of intense exercise.
    Press "compute" and see your approximate goal.

In my case, my body requires about 130 grams of protein per day to function, but because I am under physical stress I bump that up to near 350 grams to rebuild my body while I sleep.

The important thing is to get enough fiber and water so your body can process all that protein!