Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Long run recovery?

2»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Eat, shower, eat, nap.
  • 21 sept I did here in the Netherlands a 10 mile run *(toghetter with 65.000 other people) from Amsterdam to Zaandam after the 16 km run which is about 6km longer than the longest I train. I did get a little bit stiff next mornin, what I did was getting on my bicycle and went on a 10km bike run.half way I got off jogged for about half an hour back on the bike and home.
    After that no painfull muscles or whats so ever.
    If I realy feel hungry after doing to much sports I eat some extra fruits as compensation.
    Even when I was at my heaviest *(about 119 kilo) I did 4 or 5 times some sort of training.
    And now with the help of this app I am really losing weight.

Sorry if I made many misstakes but for me English is a foreign language.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    define long.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    define long.

Not short.

According to Wikipedia it's a distance of at least 5 kilometers.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    define long.

Not short.

Ha ha.......OK point taken. It's very subjective. Wikipedia is all lies............... ;-)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    define long.

Anything over 90 minutes is the standard definition in distance running and coaching circles.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    define long.

Not short.

Ha ha.......OK point taken. It's very subjective. Wikipedia is all lies............... ;-)

It's relative but generally longer than your usual run I guess. For me its...

X6bPTXSl.png
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Mid range run : 10-21 Km -> Stretching & Foam roller. Chocolate Milk, Kahlua, Banana, egg. Blender. Followed by Hot Tub.
    Repeat as necessary or get on with the day. In general keeping moving helps.

Long Range Run >21 Km -> Stretching & Foam Roller, Hydrate, ice bath for any niggling pains. More stretching & Foam Roller. Beer. Nap. Repeat icing\stretching\rolling\beer as necessary or required. Keep moving!

That being said, I am the poster child for bad running...and my advice is not professional advice. I've had 2 stress fractures in the last three years and have been called crazy by my physio therapist ( of course she was handing me a martini at the time... and that was after 2 halves and a full in 21 days)

My bottom line is this... Listen to your body. Follow a sound training regiment. Develop a routine that works for you. Try not to deviate radically. We are all different and what works for me (while fun), likely doesn't work for others. I prefer a nice wobbly pop post run and find it helps relax and replenish... that's just me though.

Cheers!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    I consider anything from 90 minutes to be a long run. I will consciously eat and rehydrate well and then get on with the day. Probably enjoy a few treats too. Beer will likely feature later on.....

When I'm up at the 2hr:30 to 3hr:15 range then I tend to be hurting and real tired at the end so I will take a warm bath, read and relax for a while. I try to avoid the temptation to spend the rest of the day on my *kitten* though so I'll try to get up and out, but nothing strenuous.