Crystal Light: good or bad?

Options
I have been drinking a ton of the crystal light peach tea lately, without it I really dont drink that much water. Some people say it may affect my weight loss. Is this true or is it just good that i'm drinking water??

Replies

• slm4
    slm4 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm no doctor, so I couldn't tell you about your weight loss but I know that it has really concentrated amounts of artificial sweetener, which really does your body no favors. Plain water's the best. If you're having trouble making that transition, you should try to put smaller amounts of crystal light in the water you are drinking. I've never had much good success with the stuff-it makes me sick.
  • Melissa0711
    Melissa0711 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My mom also has a really hard time drinking water and she mixes a small amount of Propel with her water to make it easier for her to drink. Just an idea if you want to get away from the Crystal Light
  • moreenz
    Options
    I know it's hard, but when it says you should drink water, it means just plain water. Crystal lite doesn't count as water, neither does juice or anything else but water. Just plain water. You are not alone - I don't like drinking it that much, either, but I kind of got used to it after a while... Altho I do put strawberries in my water pitcher to get some flavor infused into the water.....no sugar or aspartame or agave nectar or anything else.

Good luck!
  • KatieJoDunlap
    KatieJoDunlap Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The artifital sweetner is not good for you. There has been some reaserch that shows it can make you feel hungry (I know I do not need help in this department). Once you get used to the water it is not so bad. I would try adding less and less to your water to transition yourself to the plain water.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight drinking crystal light a few years ago. It kept me off of soda! So that helped. It may not have any nutritive value, but the calories are minimal.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I put lemon and lime slices in my plain water. It's awesome :)
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a ton of the crystal light peach tea lately, without it I really dont drink that much water. Some people say it may affect my weight loss. Is this true or is it just good that i'm drinking water??

I used to drink it alot too. I don't buy Crystal Light anymore. You should try the Bigelow Peach Green Tea! It's pretty tasty!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have drunk CL since the beginninng and I have lost a lot. I have not noticed that it increases my desire ffor sugar. I still pee like crazy so it has the same effect as water on me. I would rather drink that thannn avvoid water. Maybe not as good as water but better than soda, shakes, or alcohol.
  • nerual13
    nerual13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh, what a great idea to put fruit in the water! I'll be trying that!!! :)
  • sugarshakes
    Options
    If it keeps you drinkin', I say keep it up! I agree, maybe add more ice, more water, blah blah - but it's a lesser sin. Artificial sweeteners do have their downs and conflicting ideas that go along with them - but if you find it difficult to drink water enough that you avoid it - then go for the CL! I agree with a previous poster, lime is soooo delish in water! I wouldn't stress over it or let it get you down - maybe do a half-half - choke down a glass of water and then happily sip on your CL... a few hours later, choke down a half glass, and then next glass happily sip :D hehe
  • xvitaxmortex
    Options
    the artificual sweetener will only make you crave sugar more with all the exitotoxins... Try ice water with lemon instead ;-) that sweeyener stuff is so bad for you
  • janski2
    janski2 Posts: 70
    Options
    I think Crystal Light is wonderful. At work, if I have a bottle of water, it just kinda sits there. If it has Crystal Light in it I drink it. It does count as water. The only thing that doesn't count as water is something with caffeine in it, because caffeine dehydrates you.
  • michellewhite08
    michellewhite08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have issues w/drinking water I like to put a bottle in freezers till it really cold and when u take it out it slushes up...soooo good
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No good data to say that the artificial sweetener is bad for you so that's your call
    But yes it will hydrate you as well as water
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about artificial sweeteners, then make your own tea!

I'm not much of a fan of plain water. Its too bland for me. Yes, I can force myself to drink it, but I don't enjoy it. its a chore to drink a decent amount of plain water.

That's where tea comes in. Its so much more enjoyable to drink fluid when it has a pleasant taste to it.

Its takes a bit more time and effort that the crystal light packets, but if you brew your own tea (any flavor, but I'm particular fan of fruit/herbal teas. I've even seen peach tea!), store it in a water bottle, and keep it in the fridge, you'll have a hydrating beverage that no-one can claim is unhealthy. Zero calories, no sweeteners (unless you chose to add some. And yes, I'm guilty on this count), and lots of taste.

If you make multiple bottles and store them in the fridge, you'll always have something to drink.
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No good data to say that the artificial sweetener is bad for you so that's your call
    But yes it will hydrate you as well as water
    Exactly! There is no real science that says why or how artificial sweeteners are bad for you. The "studies" which supposedly show it are junk science at best.
  • Misalayne
    Misalayne Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't believe Chrystal Light is good for me, but I will drink a glass at night because I like the sweet taste of it. I do drink alot of plain water all day long.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Considering the fact that adding the CL does not DO anything to the water except make it taste good, yes it counts and it will certainly hydrate you. If (for whatever reason) you eat a packet of CL powder, then 5 minutes later drink a glass of water, does it count? It's still mixing in your stomach.

I don't drink it because of the sweeteners, but maybe you can find a more natural way to flavor your water?

Edit: Here's what I do. I freeze 8oz of water in a 16oz container then add 8oz of cold white tea mixed with a tablespoon of honey (60cal/tbs)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely fine.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It is okay to add crystal light and it does count as water. I drink about a gallon of water a day. Probably a quart of that is with Crystal light. When you are not drinking anything but water, the flavor really helps you avoid beverages that are unhealthy.

Also, lemon and lime are great as well.