Does anyone else have an office job?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    BE conscious of your sitting position. Make sure you are sitting straight with your stomach sucked in and your shoulders are not hunched over. If I can't get up, I sometimes just swing my legs under my desk.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Me.

When possible I take walks on my 15 minute breaks. Also, since I don't sit and eat a big lunch (just little meals while working) I did a 20 minute workout for lunch.
  • christinelimei
    christinelimei Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    See if you can get a taller desk that you can stand at while you work. :) Also, I go on daily walks outside during my lunch break. And if you have to sit, have good posture and use your abs, also use your obliques to swing yourself side to side while sitting.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yup! I wear a Garmin Vivofit which shows a red progression bar that grows in length when you've been sitting idle too long. I walk before leaving for work, during my morning break, during lunch, and during afternoon break. Oh jeezz, it's time to go for a 10-minute walk. lol

Oh, one more suggestion if you have an iOS device, download the Office Fitness Free App which allows you to program a workout either seated or standing from 5 minutes to whatever length you desire. This is also a great App for folks who travel by plane. If you like the App, splurge for the $0.99 version which offers quite a bit more exercises.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have an office job, as others had said. Move around alot. Don't email, walk over, take frequent breaks...ect..you get the picture.
  • jennifurla
    Options
    I take 2-3 walks per day. Try to walk 2-3 miles while at work. Even if it's just around the building it's calories.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been a secretary for 14 years. For the last 5 years, I've used this handy little piece of software to remind me to get up every 20 mins.

http://download.cnet.com/Scirocco-Take-a-Break/3000-2129_4-10333152.html

I get up, walk around, do stretches, and like an earlier poster, I am often that weirdo doing various skipping/lunging/jumping jacks maneuvers in the copy room.